Fill Your Bloody Holes in

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's taking it to a new level, unless there caught in the act unfortunately nothing can be done. Some times I'll refill others holes but that one looks more like a job. Mongrels

Went out today doing some mapping and research around my local area.

Saw a few people out and about detecting - good to see some local activity around here.

However, this afternoon I was coming back through the Maldon Historic Reserve (one part you can detect in) and came across an area full of newly formed craters.

I filled them in as best I can but it's frustrating that people do this. It reflects really badly on those of us who try to do the right thing.

Hi all,

Thought I'd just share a really disappointing scene I came across a few weeks ago on my travels. I'm betting many people are familiar with the White Swan mine up at Melville Caves / Kooyoora State Park, and I'm betting that most people that do know it also know that it was mined for crystal quartz for radios in WWII. I've been there several times over my life since my parents first took me, always good to see if you can find a few little points, or more recently for me to appreciate the geology.

On my last visit, I discovered that the quartz dumps had been done over and big unfilled holes dug all over it, probably in the last few months. The photos don't do justice, but really ugly stuff, especially for a relatively popular family destination that is well signposted! I first thought that it was a lot of work to go to, to find some relatively worthless quartz crystals. Then it occurred to me that being in the middle of the triangle, it had been detected. The mine is wholly within granite, which in that country means more or less no gold. At least I'm somewhat satisfied that the nong who spent all the time digging went home empty handed, as the mineral that would have been ringing up a treat on his detector was little bits of native bismuth! Geologically interesting but monetarily worthless and absolutely not worth destroying the dumps for.

Clearly by posting on here I'm preaching to the choir on these matters, but it was pretty blatant and I'm surprised that someone wouldn't think twice about leaving such a mess when it's such a relatively popular place!

1535328724_20180817_102636_hdr.jpg

1535328746_20180817_102617_hdr_1.jpg

While it's disappointing to see I would think it's more likely the people digging the holes are looking for crystals as it is a crystal mine, we have areas up Gippsland way that end up the same when fossikers are chasing crystals in known locations.

Agreed Pete. Those most likely aren't detectorist holes. The Quartz has been broken up too thoroughly so they were searching for something else rather than nuggets.

Still a sad thing to see in the bush, particularly when the rest of us do our best to return the holes to a natural state.

If I came across that, I'd just grab the shovel and refill it as best I could and, if needed, take a photo or two just for reference. :Y:

Cheers,
Shauno.

To be honest, it is no different to any other crystal fossicking area I have seen.

If it is a high volume area it is unlikely to be a single person, a little scratch by a visitor where someone else has had a scratch x 10 people = a big hole. Looks like one person has at least had a crack at backfilling what would have once been a vertical face. :Y:

This guy got cranky when caught in the act undermining an embankment

1535335607_4b431b1e-b7e7-4716-9f07-1456d296ea63.jpg

Wally69 said:
To be honest, it is no different to any other crystal fossicking area I have seen.

If it is a high volume area it is unlikely to be a single person, a little scratch by a visitor where someone else has had a scratch x 10 people = a big hole. Looks like one person has at least had a crack at backfilling what would have once been a vertical face. :Y:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5607_4b431b1e-b7e7-4716-9f07-1456d296ea63.jpg
Wow :eek: thats one pissed off wombat. Have a look at its face. lol

if those holes are from some one detecting they are not real flash at pin pointing .
johno

Wally69 said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5607_4b431b1e-b7e7-4716-9f07-1456d296ea63.jpg

Yeah mate same up this way People been smashing one spot i know hole are over my head and like 12 foot by 12 foot sorta size on a reef that has amethyst and smokeys even saw a spot where someone had picked into a massive granite boulder that had a pegmatite that was all smokeys and they had smashed them all out destroyed :(

Wally69 said:

I ve sampled wombat hole dirt lol Always thought maybe the furry little buggers might come running at me hahah

Dignit said:
I believe that area is a no gold prospecting or detecting declared area

Looks like they made an exception for it, fair enough as it's a fairly late mine I reckon:
1535671541_capture.jpg

I have been debating with myself for a bit over a week on posting this on a public forum but I dont see what choice there is. I truly am concerned about us losing our rights to bush access and cannot stand by and do nothing.

A bit over a week ago I had been out visting a mate. On the way home I took some back tracks to have a look around the bush. Whilst driving along a track I spotted two big detectorists holes freshly dug and not filled in. They were around 80 metres off into the bush but stood out like neon signs!

I decided to park the car and go for a walk with my video camera and check it out. Upon arriving I found both holes feshly dug and not filled in at all. I videod myself filling one of them in as I considered passing the evidence on to parks victoria. I havent done this yet but may do so at a later time.
This afternoon I decided to go back to this location and see just how much more damage these low lifes had done. Sure enough I found a plethora of holes left unfilled. Some hadnt even had a single boot worth of dirt kicked back into them.
This is becoming a regular occurence around many of the places I visit all over the golden triangle and its bloody not on!!!

We have people fighting tooth and nails to keep our bush for our enjoyment and clowns do this sort of thing. The culprits need to take a good hard look at themselves before they ruin it for the rest of us whom attempt to do the right thing.

Attached are a few photos. These were all in a very small area.
I have plenty more but this will give you the general idea.

1562659742_2019-06-26_23.50.14.jpg

1562659771_2019-06-26_23.24.46.jpg
1562660158_2019-07-09_18.15.02.jpg
1562660181_2019-07-09_18.14.42.jpg
1562660200_2019-07-09_18.14.20.jpg
1562660226_2019-07-09_18.13.55.jpg

1562660351_2019-07-09_18.15.22.jpg

just a thought
What could work is if a group like BUGU are made aware of it & they put up hidden cameras & then as a lobby group be seen to be taking care of the environment by filling holes & then taking the evidence to the relevant authorities

Latest posts