Fill Your Bloody Holes in

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gidday All,

Yesterday I spent detecting some old haunts of mine around Daisy Hill near Maryborough and I was absolutely amazed at one area I have detected for years. It was like a bomb zone with unfilled holes everywhere. Now these holes were on ground I had been over many times as I upgraded my detector ie 3500 to a 4000 to a 4500 to my now 5000. Each time I had found bits not found the time prior. This was the first time I had tried the 5000 here.

I believe that apart from the detectorist being a mongrel and not filling in his holes ( they were made in the last few weeks) that this person had a new 7000. He was finding stuff that until now had been undetected by anything I had had.
If this is the case then this proves to me that I need to start saving for one of these new 7000's. Either that or I am no bloody good at detecting and missed all these targets !!
Anyone else come across this situation lately to shed any light on my thoughts?
GT

Yer mate, I think its probably people hiring a detector for the weekend thinking they are going to strike it rich, go to the most obvious places, only dig the screamers which are usually big chunks of iron that they then thrown back in the hole and then walk off.
Without it actually being a hobby or genuine interest for them (and without having any common sense) I doubt they would ever jump on a forum like this and get an education on the do's and dont's.

Hey goldtruck, i'm out two or three times a week around amherst/daisy hill and i'm noticing a number of very new and deeeeep holes that are not filled in. Most likely from 7's because they are so deep?, whether or not they have found gold is anyones guess i suppose unless they tell others or post here or elsewhere. I normally fill in a number of holes left by others each time i go out but i reckon i'd spend half my day filling in some of these suckers they're that deep and big!
I hope they are by hirers as TimAu suggests, be a shame if they're left by regular prospectors.

Seen it a few times lately. Not directly blaming the 7000 users but the open holes I've been seeing are up to 2-3ft square or wide, long scrape type digs so the person/s doing it are most likely using a bigger coil.
What makes me think it might be someone with a 7000 is that some of the holes have been quite shallow making me think they are struggling to pinpoint with a new machine on the small gold the 7000 is seeing? The other thing is I've picked up 4 nuggets in or near some of these holes & scrapings with the SDC :D thanks bloke/s! They were either sub grammers or speccis so whoever is doing it around my way is having trouble finding them once dug out - 7000 or maybe someone with a SD/GP/GPX trying a bigger coil? Lazy bastard/s either way but I guess if they want to show me where they've been finding targets so be it. I don't leave them the same tracks though :lol:
TimAu's probably hit on something too although there's no hire shops around here & the areas have been reasonably spread out so not a day tripper. That's what makes me think a local with a new toy or coil?

I often find small specs with the sdc around 'slightly bigger' holes. But not around these new deep ones as yet. Quite often if i run the sdc through or around the hole edges i get the trash that they've dug and thrown back into the hole or left to the side. I think the size or area of the hole as opposed to the depth of the holes definitely indicates people using big coils. Some are around 500mm square.

Must say that where I have been this year, there has been little sign of detecting holes (just a few) but I am still digging lots of rubbish.

I was thinking that people had been avoiding these areas, for some reason, but that is good for me, yes, haha.

Rob.

Yeah I thought about detector hirers but my spot isn't your look at a map type of place and go and try it out first time. Its not obvious or well ( I thought until now) patronized.
Like Mbasko says there was a lot of wide shallow scrapings suggesting big coils or trouble pinpointing. mmm
I went over the area with my faithful 14" NF coil and my Sadie also and had no issues finding what ever it was I had detected. So? Oh well I will try elsewhere.
Have a look next time your out near the quarry Scrounger you'll se what I mean. I filled in a few but like you said I would of been there all day.

It's disappointing i reckon when holes aren't filled back in or trash removed. I know some say it's already been trashed and dug with holes everywhere from the old days so what's the difference. But that doesn't fly with me. I was talking to one bloke the weekend before last and he was heading to an area above me and i warned him that there had been some people camping in the spot for a week or so and that the joint looked like a bomb site with holes bloody everywhere and not filled in. He said he knew about it and that it was people from a 'club' group down the mornington peninsula who had been there. So if that's what 'serious' detector people are doing then there's not much hope perhaps?
From the few people i'm speaking to with 7's they (only 3 to date) all seem to be having trouble coming to terms with how it works, so that may be the reason for the big scrapings as well?

PabloP said:
Must say that where I have been this year, there has been little sign of detecting holes (just a few) but I am still digging lots of rubbish.

I was thinking that people had been avoiding these areas, for some reason, but that is good for me, yes, haha.

Rob.

I just thought that another reason for the amount of rubbish that I am still finding could be that previous detectorists have been using VLF's rather than PI's, and ignoring the trash that I will dig and remove, as i will dig every target.

Rob.

Well i,m new to detecting , but have been fossicking for about 20 years . The only thing you should leave behind is your foot print.And i still try to keep to that.Some people make every one look bad .As what was said ,its looks like a ware zone.

We own about forty acres not far from Daisy Hill and when we went down the front twenty acres last week it looked like a war zone with bomb craters everywhere. One of those lovely "fence jumping night detectorists" with a 7000? had been hard at work, and as you would expect from a lowlife, no holes filled in, in the middle of tracks and anywhere he could that wouldn't be seen.
I can tell you that I will be talking to all my neighbours and telling them about it and that will help ensure that they won't let anyone detect on their land, the stupid thing is these idiots ruin it for the genuine blokes.
We've owned this land for about twelve years and had the odd fence jumper but this individual is an absolute idiot, if he gets caught you can bet I'll do everything to see him prosecuted for theft because that's what it is. He didn't jump the fence to pick daisies and if he found and removed gold it is theft and a criminal act.
The more of these morons that get out there the worse it will be for everyone else. And finally anyone who reckons he has to go detecting at night is up to no good - the only reason for that is to make sure no one sees you.
Hofeful1

Hopeful1 said:
We own about forty acres not far from Daisy Hill and when we went down the front twenty acres last week it looked like a war zone with bomb craters everywhere. One of those lovely "fence jumping night detectorists" with a 7000? had been hard at work, and as you would expect from a lowlife, no holes filled in, in the middle of tracks and anywhere he could that wouldn't be seen.
I can tell you that I will be talking to all my neighbours and telling them about it and that will help ensure that they won't let anyone detect on their land, the stupid thing is these idiots ruin it for the genuine blokes.
We've owned this land for about twelve years and had the odd fence jumper but this individual is an absolute idiot, if he gets caught you can bet I'll do everything to see him prosecuted for theft because that's what it is. He didn't jump the fence to pick daisies and if he found and removed gold it is theft and a criminal act.
The more of these morons that get out there the worse it will be for everyone else. And finally anyone who reckons he has to go detecting at night is up to no good - the only reason for that is to make sure no one sees you.
Hofeful1

Mate, really sorry to hear some lowlife would do that, I'd ummm well probably shouldn't say it here..... but it's a pity you can't use land mines for jerks and thieves like this person you speak of. Most of us detectorists would never do it to a property owner, only the truly scummy and most brazen would... Hope you catch the thief and get them prosecuted, they ruin it for the 99% of honest people.

Hopeful1 said:
And finally anyone who reckons he has to go detecting at night is up to no good - the only reason for that is to make sure no one sees you.
Hofeful1

Dunno about that mate, I go out at night from time to time for the simple fact that it's too dam hot and noisy in summer.

Totally right on that Tim, night detecting in Summer is popular. On other peoples property though is another story though.

Yea its poor behavior. I bet they don't jump their neighbors fence to use their pool.
Would be great to catch him red handed. Have you detected any of your property?

Hopeful1 said:
Hofeful1

You can set up a few of those IR cameras designed for capturing wildlife around the perimeter, as they only record based on detecting motion so should last a while on the available memory. Similar to that shown on the Ebay link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/261...2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

Hopefully if they come back, then you have got the @@#$$ards.

Rob P.

I would have filled in about 20 (other peoples) detector holes today, people seem to be getting lazy! It takes maybe 10 secs to do....I just don't get it.

I think it's just the way of the world. Some people are considerate of others and others couldn't give a shite. From my observations there are obviously a lot of people out there detecting and leaving holes way beyond what 'hirers' are doing i reckon? It's like those that leave rubbish in the bush, it may not be you and me doing it but it does reflect on us just as badly because we are out there, and in the end it's likely to impact more on those that do the right thing because they will be most affected by closures etc.

Does anyone think that the many new detecting holes in well detected areas are because people are hearing targets previously undetected because of the 7000. Has anyone else noticed this where they go detecting?
GT

Latest posts