Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
went for a squizzy at fig tree camp (mount perry)yesterday with the gpx5000
mine area.JPG
the chinese mined the area in 1860, they operated 3 mines there with the most profitable one of the 3 pulled 1 ton of gold out of the mine
plenty of mullock heaps to play in ,they span about 500 meters long and at the widest part 122 meters wide and the narrow end 52 meters wide 20230905_084406.jpg
that heap would be about 50 to 60 feet high the one i am standing on taken the picy would be 40 foot high i never counted how many mullock heaps were there but i would guess about 30 ranging from about 6 foot high to 60 foot high
the gold gods were not with me or the other three there detecting (1x garret at inter pro and 1 x minelab 6000
i thought i had found my retirement nugget but it was not to be got this at about 2 foot deep commander 11"round coil
20230905_111939.jpg
16"x7/8" bolt
the other 2 blokes said that's all there pulled out of the ground for the last week(bolts and heavy scrap) they must have been grubby little buggers there is bolts sticking out the ground at quite a few places and a couple of sections the 5000 was overloading with the amount of scrap steel in the ground it is not general rubbish it is al heavy steel left everywhere ie 16" long bolt that was the third one for the day
talking to the owner on the way out dave said that people have got a fair bit of gold there but they are raking the mullock heaps and detecting that

he said one bloke has pulled 3 ounces out of the mullock heaps in the last 12 months
he said that is the only way he has heard of people getting on the gold no one has found anything but metal anywhere else
there is 2 cousins they call themselves cous and cous on facebook they have found a few ounces doing the same thing as well

sam the lady that collects the money when the owners are not there told me of a place that the cob and co coaches had a stay over point back in the days ,she said detect there you should fine some goodies ,i said it probably has been worked over pretty well by now but to my surprise she said no one has detected the area yet they all go to the gold area
i said are you sure and she said yep we have not had to fill any holes there at all yet looks like the relic machine will have to come of the hook in the shed

as talking with dave he has threatened to close the mine site down and have it camping only
once a week himself, wife karen and sam go to the site and fill holes and pick up the rubbish FFS people what is wrong with you it is mainly plastic water bottles but frig me it is not that you are km's from the bloody car
dave said they went down on saturday and filled holes and cleaned up ,i did not find any rubbish but the were about 12 unfilled holes from sat till tuesday FFS
so next trip if it is still open to fossicking i will take a rake with me

more picy's of fig tree20230905_085312.jpg
20230905_084423.jpg

20230905_090106.jpg

20230905_084426.jpg20230905_084430.jpg
20230905_084827.jpg
this camp site would be the second smallest on the property there is plenty of room on all campsies
20230905_122831.jpg

forgot to mention there are 2 toilets and 2 showers $3.00 for a hot shower
$3.00 go towards pump and water heating costs i think from memory sam said the showers are open from 7:30 am to 5:00pm get the key from owners and toilets open 24 hours
day trip fossicking $15.00 per person
camping $20.00 per person ($20.00 camp fee includes fossicking )
must have qld fossicking licence to fossick on the property

Theses grubs should given community service picking up rubbish on the highways with the petty crimes wearing a clown suit.
Water bottles crush down to nothing screw the lids back on and they stay compact. The small town I fuel up at on the return trip has recycling bins, hopefully the local sports clubs get the benefits from my travels.
Look forward to seeing your finds when you get a chance to do a relic hunt.

more picy's of fig treeView attachment 11023
View attachment 11017

View attachment 11018

View attachment 11019View attachment 11020
View attachment 11022
this camp site would be the second smallest on the property there is plenty of room on all campsies
View attachment 11024

forgot to mention there are 2 toilets and 2 showers $3.00 for a hot shower
$3.00 go towards pump and water heating costs i think from memory sam said the showers are open from 7:30 am to 5:00pm get the key from owners and toilets open 24 hours
day trip fossicking $15.00 per person
camping $20.00 per person ($20.00 camp fee includes fossicking )
must have qld fossicking licence to fossick on the property
Hi Sand Surfer, would you know if there are any gem stones etc to fossick for on the property or in that area at all?

not that i know of mr tee
but one mullock heap was full of spoil that it was all bright blue and that was rocks 20/30kg or better broken in half and blue all the way
maybe it was copper oxidisation
i should have got some pics of them but did not have the camera with me when i found them
next trip👍 if this scon can remember to get the pics

very hard question to answer mr tee
if you are fit enough to work the angles of the mullock heaps ,you may find some colour or maybe not that would be up to the gold gods, but you will need a rake and a pelican pick would come in handy
as working those angles with a crook back and stuffed hips believe me i was looking for some level ground just to even everything out a bit ,but alas there is none there
i worked the hills up and down for about 3 hours straight but that was my limit ,the hips were screaming and the back was not to good

marked area is the creek that pic was taking about 100 meters from the creek the next one pic is a bit closer to the creek (i was told they do find some colour in the creek)
creek.jpg

most of those wash outs would be 3 to 4 feet deep and in one area there is plenty
20230905_084412.jpg

there is some water at campsite 24 but is is stagnant so it will be a mozzie motel
20230905_122409.jpg

i was told i you can get water from the dam to pan but it is not a large dam, and it is the water for the toilets and showers ,so if i was to do any panning i would dry pan it and either take it home or bring my own water.
With how dry everything is at the moment around the wide bay area i could not bring myself to take the water from the dam' i know some people would say it is only a bucket or two but i think we have to do the right thing as that bucket of water could be the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak

more level ground to wonder over:rolleyes: my hip joints were loving it😞😒
20230905_111614.jpg
i would have spent a hour at least when i first got there just scoping the area out and getting pics
so to answer your question i think you would have to flip a coin mate
extra fuel,(the price of it at the moment) camping fees and whatever
as i found no gold but it was the first trip with the new detector and believe me i have not got to kindy with it at this stage ,there is still a bloody lot to learn
but as getting away from the rat race and having a rewind i would highly recommend the place as the sites are big and i mean big you could easily put 4x 20 foot caravans on each site with room to spare, and if you do go mate don't forget a apple or a carrot for marty don't worry he will make himself known when he is ready, he is a retired trotting horse and apparently not shy
ps and $5.00 for the fresh bumnuts for a dozen

Last edited:
Hi SS, as Grubstake said, “Great pics and description,” Your description is exceptional. I can actually see what I’m getting myself into. Epic! It has given me heaps to think about and looks to be a bit of a challenge. A great one me thinks. Looking forward to it. I hope I can get up there before the school holidays as everything is almost ready. Fridge/freezer, deep cycle battery all hooked up and working properly. Toolbox in and secured, roof rack and awning on top, done and dusted. Installed hands-free for the phone and just need to pull out the 2 front vents and repair so I can install my new cup holder. There’s no where else to put it in the damned car.
So I’m looking forward to getting up there and doing it.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience up there, it has really made a huge difference for me.
Cheers buddy,
Mr Tee

Last edited:
very hard question to answer mr tee
if you are fit enough to work the angles of the mullock heaps ,you may find some colour or maybe not that would be up to the gold gods, but you will need a rake and a pelican pick would come in handy
as working those angles with a crook back and stuffed hips believe me i was looking for some level ground just to even everything out a bit ,but alas there is none there
i worked the hills up and down for about 3 hours straight but that was my limit ,the hips were screaming and the back was not to good

marked area is the creek that pic was taking about 100 meters from the creek the next one pic is a bit closer to the creek (i was told they do find some colour in the creek)
View attachment 11050

most of those wash outs would be 3 to 4 feet deep and in one area there is plenty
View attachment 11051

there is some water at campsite 24 but is is stagnant so it will be a mozzie motel
View attachment 11053

i was told i you can get water from the dam to pan but it is not a large dam, and it is the water for the toilets and showers ,so if i was to do any panning i would dry pan it and either take it home or bring my own water.
With how dry everything is at the moment around the wide bay area i could not bring myself to take the water from the dam' i know some people would say it is only a bucket or two but i think we have to do the right thing as that bucket of water could be the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak

more level ground to wonder over:rolleyes: my hip joints were loving it😞😒
View attachment 11054
i would have spent a hour at least when i first got there just scoping the area out and getting pics
so to answer your question i think you would have to flip a coin mate
extra fuel,(the price of it at the moment) camping fees and whatever
as i found no gold but it was the first trip with the new detector and believe me i have not got to kindy with it at this stage ,there is still a bloody lot to learn
but as getting away from the rat race and having a rewind i would highly recommend the place as the sites are big and i mean big you could easily put 4x 20 foot caravans on each site with room to spare, and if you do go mate don't forget a apple or a carrot for marty don't worry he will make himself known when he is ready, he is a retired trotting horse and apparently not shy
ps and $5.00 for the fresh bumnuts for a dozen
By the way, what’s a bum nut?

Be good if they could put up bush cameras to catch out these f##kwits!!!!!
discussed that idea with the owner ,but i think he is more inclined to lock the gate to prospecting before that happens and have the place as camp only
i don't know how many were there on the sunday(day trippers) but when i arrived about 7:30am there was one caravan leaving and that left 2 there, so i don't think it would take much to work out who dunnit or as the case may be who didn't do it(fill the holes)

That’s sad. Filling a hole in the bush is so damned easy. I dig up our local parks, sides of the road, green spaces, walking tracks and many other public places and have to leave it as close as possible to how I found it or I and many others will lose the privilege of being able to detect on and around our beautiful Gold Coast!
Need to send a message!

Latest posts