Caravan off road modifications.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyhooks

Russell
Reaction score
We finally bit the bullet after last year doing three trips to our favourite Camping/prospecting place up in the Pilbara and trying to put up our camper (canvass roof) in drizzling rain at night after driving all day the time has come to get a Caravan of some sort.Man we like Hybrids but cost is rediculous and resale not much better, friends lost 35% after a year touring so not for me!
I might add that over 15 years or so we have had 5 different campers all of which had been up grades on the previous ones, but still were a pain to erect especially after driving all day, a Friend down south had been in a similar position and price wise we were shocked at van prices over the covid era
So after selling the custom camper toy hauler late last yearwe settled on a 80s 16' Viscount pop top, which cost the princely sum of $4500.00.
It was in reasonable condition and was the same as the friends,the first job was the removal of the light weight axle and 13" wheels and suspension which was rated at one ton, the new axle and springs are rated at 2 tons, and was very easy also to fit. Included was electric brakes as the Dmax had the brake controller fitted from before as well, i settled for a new tow hitch on the draw bar as well and welded a new 10mm V plate onto the draw bar front and fitted a new Alko heavy duty hitch also rated at 3 tons , all the wiring for the 12 volt side was ripped out and also had my grandsons mate ( final year apprentice sparky) check all of the 240v side as being 38 years old i felt it was needed.
For our first trip in May i have opted to go with the 14" wheels which i got with the axle kit but have bought a full set of Dmax wheels with near new tyres and will fit 6 stud hubs to suit later this year after our first trip, i have completley rewired all the 12 volt wiring and found that the three way fridge was cactus and a repair was quoted at $550.00 so as finance permits am fitting a 90L fridge/freezer 12/24/240v model (Kogan) same as friends and he has had his for 2 years now working atreat, i am just fitting a 3000/6000 invertor and two 140a/hr AGM batteries, we are now going to have a small portable air cond, microwave, toaster and jug to run off it , all run very satisfactory, this eliminates the need for the 2.5 kva Yamaha invertor gen set as a lot of campsites now ban them compliments of the superannuation brigade, we found out the hard way some years back up at Shark bay CAPE PERON big NONO!
Now the gen set is only a back up, i settled for a 200 watt German design folding solar panel for on the ground and also a 200 watt soft folding panel on the roof giving us 400 wats total through a solar controller all seems to work well and testing with our Brass Monkey 100l fridge freezer it can run all day and night with little or no volt drop on the batteries, both still at 12.8 after 24hrs running, i also fitted a 6 gang 12 volt pannel with two outlets to charge phones and any ancillory small items, i have fitted a 75 litre water tank at the rear of the axle and may fit another at the front to even out weight anyways pics to follow very soon as will futher mods, we have a very tight window at the moment as settlement for our property down sth and here is three weeks away and we hope to be away 1st week in may so time is running out.

Just keep in mind despite heavier upgrades that unless mod plated van will still only be legal at weight on compliance plate. Also heavier axle ? What type bearing set up ? If axle is SL type then they will be your weakest link and bigger wheels/ tyres will load them more. Safe travels bloke 👍

I will post some in a few days as soon as the new pop top seal arrives ex east, as we are replacing it after our first test run to Sandstone detecting for week or so, it fair Pissed down and the seal area rubbers had shrunk and had a 100mm gap and the water poured inside, we arrived back to Geraldton (538) kms next day and drove into rain again, i now have removed the seal and have covered the whole van with a large tarp, we found the van great and also having the roof covered in solar panels and 3 agm 140ahr batteries and the 3000/6000w invertor to run any 240 volt gadgets fro the dragon lady fantastic, even on overcast days we had plenty of charge to run freezer fridge etc all good. Also have the wheels and axle pulled out as fitting a wider axle and dmax mags and new Falken 245/75/16 wildpeak tyres, i scored 5 wheels and tyres for it to suit Isuzu Dmaxes for $200 so gives me 3 extra spares for the car.
This is the van this morning as is.

Attachments

• caravan 01.jpg
    caravan 01.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 4
hi all just a quick line or two about caravan wheels. l researched my golf savannah 4.9 electric brake hub pattern and found it matched my 2015 toyota prado hub pattern. so l brought 3 off facebook marketplace.
now l have a prado and a caravan that has 3 spare tires for when l go bush. also fitted the prado with a 120psi pump and reserve tank. hope this helps

The hubs and bearings i ordered Lonewolf are six stud Lnadcruiser and the bearings and axle are 35mm Parrallell units, the funny thimg is i checked put the W.A, Suppliers and they could not come within a bulls roar of the price i got off of Ebay was 40% lower and freight free go figure ex Victoria, also the axle is custom made Ex South Australia really does ones head in aye!!!!

The hubs and bearings i ordered Lonewolf are six stud Lnadcruiser and the bearings and axle are 35mm Parrallell units, the funny thimg is i checked put the W.A, Suppliers and they could not come within a bulls roar of the price i got off of Ebay was 40% lower and freight free go figure ex Victoria, also the axle is custom made Ex South Australia really does ones head in aye!!!!
Mate, I don't want to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but counterfeit Toyota parts are out there.

We finally bit the bullet after last year doing three trips to our favourite Camping/prospecting place up in the Pilbara and trying to put up our camper (canvass roof) in drizzling rain at night after driving all day the time has come to get a Caravan of some sort.Man we like Hybrids but cost is rediculous and resale not much better, friends lost 35% after a year touring so not for me!
I might add that over 15 years or so we have had 5 different campers all of which had been up grades on the previous ones, but still were a pain to erect especially after driving all day, a Friend down south had been in a similar position and price wise we were shocked at van prices over the covid era
So after selling the custom camper toy hauler late last yearwe settled on a 80s 16' Viscount pop top, which cost the princely sum of $4500.00.
It was in reasonable condition and was the same as the friends,the first job was the removal of the light weight axle and 13" wheels and suspension which was rated at one ton, the new axle and springs are rated at 2 tons, and was very easy also to fit. Included was electric brakes as the Dmax had the brake controller fitted from before as well, i settled for a new tow hitch on the draw bar as well and welded a new 10mm V plate onto the draw bar front and fitted a new Alko heavy duty hitch also rated at 3 tons , all the wiring for the 12 volt side was ripped out and also had my grandsons mate ( final year apprentice sparky) check all of the 240v side as being 38 years old i felt it was needed.
For our first trip in May i have opted to go with the 14" wheels which i got with the axle kit but have bought a full set of Dmax wheels with near new tyres and will fit 6 stud hubs to suit later this year after our first trip, i have completley rewired all the 12 volt wiring and found that the three way fridge was cactus and a repair was quoted at $550.00 so as finance permits am fitting a 90L fridge/freezer 12/24/240v model (Kogan) same as friends and he has had his for 2 years now working atreat, i am just fitting a 3000/6000 invertor and two 140a/hr AGM batteries, we are now going to have a small portable air cond, microwave, toaster and jug to run off it , all run very satisfactory, this eliminates the need for the 2.5 kva Yamaha invertor gen set as a lot of campsites now ban them compliments of the superannuation brigade, we found out the hard way some years back up at Shark bay CAPE PERON big NONO!
Now the gen set is only a back up, i settled for a 200 watt German design folding solar panel for on the ground and also a 200 watt soft folding panel on the roof giving us 400 wats total through a solar controller all seems to work well and testing with our Brass Monkey 100l fridge freezer it can run all day and night with little or no volt drop on the batteries, both still at 12.8 after 24hrs running, i also fitted a 6 gang 12 volt pannel with two outlets to charge phones and any ancillory small items, i have fitted a 75 litre water tank at the rear of the axle and may fit another at the front to even out weight anyways pics to follow very soon as will futher mods, we have a very tight window at the moment as settlement for our property down sth and here is three weeks away and we hope to be away 1st week in may so time is running out.
Before you leave, you should spend a lot of time sealing it against dust incursion. Nothing worse than opening up the van after a long day on the road and finding you need to spend an hour wiping everything down.
Replace old door, vent and window seals....Clark Rubber.
Use the old trick of getting under the van at night, with a very bright light, poking it into every cranny.... a person inside will be looking for chinks of light. Seal any found.
Make airtight, removable covers, for door and fridge vents.
Take a big tube of sealant with you and a spare water pump.
Perhaps think about installing a ram pressure scoop on the roof, to pressurise the inside of the van.
Happy travels.....see you prospecting in the Pilbara, later this year !
Mike.

Goodaye Jig and yes i have sealed all vents replaced all grommets with sika flex, resealed the roof at all points, new pop top seal coming and any cables, pipes and hoses all sealed with our friend Sika, we have been travelling to the Pilbara for going on 8 years prospecting now and plus we lived there from the late 70s till the early 90s so we certainly know all about dust (Pt Hedland) plus we have had 5 campers over similar time, and now graduated to the van, also just fitted two spares to back bar and fitted a protector plate under water tank as 3 years back we holed our water tank and lost all of our water and the dragon was close to washing in my beer supply after a week or so, luckilly where we go there is a very large section of river with permanent water which is ok for showering, man cant waite to get up there this year, back to our patch hopefully.

Another trick for dust proofing is to pressurise the van, we had this on our last camper. Simple system with a 50mm directional inlet above the wheel arch into a Donalson filter and the system run off a small bilge vent pump, just enough to keep the dust out of any flexing seals when on the road. Never got dust in our van.

Another trick for dust proofing is to pressurise the van, we had this on our last camper. Simple system with a 50mm directional inlet above the wheel arch into a Donalson filter and the system run off a small bilge vent pump, just enough to keep the dust out of any flexing seals when on the road. Never got dust in our van.
It works, I have had a bilge blower fan in mine for a while now. I turn mine on when I hid the dirt.

Just keep in mind despite heavier upgrades that unless mod plated van will still only be legal at weight on compliance plate. Also heavier axle ? What type bearing set up ? If axle is SL type then they will be your weakest link and bigger wheels/ tyres will load them more. Safe travels bloke 👍
It is also now illegal to add 12v batteries to a caravan that did not have them originally. Sadly there are many issues with @rustyhooks set-up.

Well thats a new one, our van had a battery from new according to the previous owner and it was lead acid 120AH unit, i had heard that it was not recomended to have a lead acid battery due to it emitting hydrogen gas when charged, the new AGM units are sealed and are recomended as are Lithium but i am on a budget thanks to the accountant (dragon), after having 5 diferent off road campers over the last 15 years and all had batteries fitted from new (lead acid), my mate up north has just bought a brand new off road caravan in NSW from the manufacturer and it has 2 new agms under the floor in the bedroom area so i am at a loss as to Gold Fishings comment, i took the time to get all of the regualtions from the DOT in Perth concerning mods to a older caravan, the main area of concern was replaceing the springs and axle, my son is a coded welder so welding the spring shackles in place was not a concern as was the new Alko Hitch base plate, i have to take the unit over a weighbridge to get the specs plate upgraded as it now will be able to carry more toatl weight as springs and axle rates at two tons and thats really about all, some states have different regs but not all that different to WAs a lot depends on your mods and how much you spend, i followed a fellow called Rusty on Youtube here in Wa plus several others over on the east coast, at the time of deciding to go van style off road we looked at various Hybrids and the cost of them is outrageous, we only wanted something in the same weight catorgory as our last off road camper say under our 3 ton towing limit and it had to be made pre 90s as most stuff around nowadays is chinese made or most of its componentry where as we will spend around 10k for what we want and at the end wont loose as much as say our freinds 120k for the 12mths touring they plan to do we hope!

Electrical Installations Standard (AS/NZS 3001.2:2022)
Batteries:
If a recreational vehicle has provision for a battery, full instructions for the position and correct installation of the battery and compartment must be provided with the instructions for use. These instructions must include a directive that installation work needs to be completed by an appropriate person (eg licensed electrician) according to the electrical legislation of your state/territory jurisdiction.

Where there is no provision for a battery in a recreational vehicle, the instructions for use must include the following statement: “This vehicle has not been designed to accommodate a vehicle battery. Do not fit one".
There's been a whole raft of new compliance & manufacturing standards for RV's, Caravans, Campers etc. including the above Electrical Installation standard. Also is a new Gas Installation standard (2020) & Manufacturing Quality Compliance standards that were put in place last year.
Designed to remove shonky manufacturers & installations in an industry full of lemons.
Plus no doubt to "protect" insurance companies against claims on vans not originally manufactured with battery provisions?

Latest posts