Very Dry In Clermont and not just the weather !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RG ...................... good to see your enjoying .................... did you camp at Bamaga / Siesha or go further up and camp at Somerset ? Love Somerset and found it after had been in camp ground for a week :( So ok how much did it cost you for the LONG trip across the mighty Jardine :D :D
Palmer ? lets just say one needs to be careful that you don't step on any one's toes ;) Oh and don't go missing RG ................. it was only just on a year ago now that the two were found guilty of killing prospector Bruce Schuler ................... sad n bad story actually. Bloke takes up a hobby and ends up dead over it ......................... :mad:
Hope we can catch up in the Western Creek area and so far really pleased with how friendly the few property owners I've spoke to are .

Just got back home after 10 days detecting at Long Gully Station. Lost a couple of days due to getting 63mm of rain on the Thursday night. Went with another couple who left with 3.2 ounces so over 5 ounces for the 10 days all up.

1470637054_jeff_gold2_653x490.jpg

1470637054_jeffgold1_653x490.jpg

Mates gold below with the biggest at 47 grams.

1470637109_steve_gold.jpg

Wooly now that's damn impressive ....................... now I really do want co ordinates ;) :)
On a serious note do you contact the same people for Long Gully as Dells Hole as I believe same owner ? Also what is pay amount per day $15 same as Dells hole ?
Again well done and well worth the drive for the buzz alone from what I see :) What detectors were you using ? :p

Bogger said:
Wooly now that's damn impressive ....................... now I really do want co ordinates ;) :)
On a serious note do you contact the same people for Long Gully as Dells Hole as I believe same owner ? Also what is pay amount per day $15 same as Dells hole ?
Again well done and well worth the drive for the buzz alone from what I see :) What detectors were you using ? :p

Yes they are in the same family. Western Creek is run by Shirley Brown, Dells Hole is run by Kevin Young and Long Gully is run by Noel Young and their mother Lurleen.
The price is the same for all three stations which is 15 dollars a day $100.00 per week and half price for your detecting partner. Non detectorists and camping is free of charge.

You need to be self sufficient at Dell's and Long Gully as neither have showers or toilet facilities.
They like to know that you're coming at Long Gully and Dells hole so be sure to give them a call before just rocking up to the homestead. PM me if you want the numbers.

Forsayth town centre is only 6klm from the Long Gully grate and has all the supplies that you need.

Telstra now has 4g coverage over Forsayth and a fair hunk of Long Gully station.

We had 2 x GPZ's and 2 x SDC's

Map for longully and Dells hole.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwVM0Bj2LKVuZWk0Mld2aEtUZlE/view?usp=sharing

Wooly pm sent and appreciate the great info regards the area. You had a long drive if your still based in Eltham Vic or did you fly up ?
RG still with us ? Hope you haven't got abducted in Palmerville :(

I should also add that there is a lot of grass up there this year which makes detecting difficult. Also there is a lot of wild pigs around this year so be carefull out there.

Bogger, do yourself a favour and find another place that's not so confined and filled with people with detectors. "Clermont is a dud" unless you are prepared to jump fences OR are just plain lucky. The GPA's are a joke with ground disturbances and pushing every where. I'll never return and I'll do my damnest to tell everyone I can to give it a wide berth. Keep swingin' and hope your lucky.

Tassie Daz said:
Bogger, do yourself a favour and find another place that's not so confined and filled with people with detectors. "Clermont is a dud" unless you are prepared to jump fences OR are just plain lucky. The GPA's are a joke with ground disturbances and pushing every where. I'll never return and I'll do my damnest to tell everyone I can to give it a wide berth. Keep swingin' and hope your lucky.

I did a training day with JP on the way up to Forsayth. JP took us out to one of the GPA's to show us correct use of the 7000. Within 10 minutes he pulled out a 2 grammer from around 12 inches. He stayed with us for a couple of hours and I pulled out 6 bits and my mate 3 bits. Nothing over .3 but it was the right color and I was happy.

I don't think I was really lucky as this was on ground that has been flogged before. If i'm going to drive all that way from Melbourne on a gold prospecting trip then I want to take advantage of every tool that I can get hold of and one of the best is local knowledge which cost me a few bucks but I believe well worth it. Sure better than going home goldless.

wooly said:
I should also add that there is a lot of grass up there this year which makes detecting difficult. Also there is a lot of wild pigs around this year so be carefull out there.

Wooly that could be handy as could get some free prospecting in exchange for helping to cull the piggie population :rolleyes: Also thanks heaps for the info re PM much appreciated. Re the training ...................... I couldn't afford it :D :D :D Long story but will share a laugh with you regards it sometime ;)
Myself I found gold with each trip to Clermont (not a lot but gold indeed) .............. but have met many who went home with nothing after a week or two of looking . I try not to get involved in the "politics" and probably best to just let people go and form their own opinions. Myself when I'm spending my money I expect far better service and a much more welcome and friendly environment than what I received sadly. Who knows maybe I just found a few that were having a bad day ................... week ................. month................ year or perhaps in fact life ? :D :D
Look around a bit when you are there as there is free camping to be had with good showers and toilets which beats a couple of hundred dollars a week park fee's for just a site. Alternatively I found the people out at Theresa Dam very friendly and helpful and $15 a night is reasonable also (un powered sites) Didn't get to stay there as the only down side is it makes it a fair drive morning and night from there to McMasters for example. About sixty k's one way from memory.
Tassie Daz ....................... I hear you Sir trust me just being a little diplomatic I'm also in no hurry to return as rudeness and arrogance I do not find welcoming in any way ;) ;) ;)
Gold or no gold it's fun looking ................... the shiny bits just make it better :p

RG are you North of Cairns still ? Hope to catch up with Luke also in the Georgetown area :)
Have you found that elusive first piece yet ? ;)

Hey boogr been at dells hole for a few days got a few pieces of the elusive yella hedn to long gully or wc next for a few days then not sure . When are you up this way ? Ps gave palmer a miss not too many friendlys localsup that way spoke too a few not much nice to say at all ran into a guy did 3 days for a cupla speks .. woulds atach pics but i do all this off my phone an still cant wrk out how too . :mad:

RG try and hang around ;) It's a fair haul but if I get in the zone could blast thru in one hit with my batman beside me :) It's actually only 20K difference to heading south to Bendigo in Vic ................... but then that's the vastness of Qld as you well know. Will go thru Clermont but that's literally go thru ;) as it will be pretty crowded there this weekend as it's the annual Coal and Gold Festival but being the 100 centenary since the flood will probably be busy busy without a doub't.
I sent you a PM and okay I have to ask did the blue baby or the 45 strike it first for you ? And who was in command at the time :lol: :lol:
I hear you well re Palmer :( remember I said be careful not to tread on toes ;) If they don't like you up that way they just shoot ya :/
Spoke to Lurleen the other day from Long Gully and she was super friendly and helpful and same same regards her daughter who runs Western Creek. How is the weather up there ? Not to hot ? Also Lukes up there at the moment also
Keep swinging as you never know just where the big yella lies :rolleyes:

Well done Taipan nice finds and different to most I picked up in the GPA's ................ mine were the aero chocolate type ................... on your next visit try and get on the other side of the fence ;) it's even more rewarding :p
Did you free camp ?

Bogger said:
Well done Taipan nice finds and different to most I picked up in the GPA's ................ mine were the aero chocolate type ................... on your next visit try and get on the other side of the fence ;) it's even more rewarding :p
Did you free camp ?
Stayed at the caravan park, itd be good to be on other side of the fence but oh well :(

Yeh m8 cool nights only 27 days last two wood blow a dog off a bloody chain lol had to put our awning down or would flap to bloody bits .... i got two with the 48 an mrs got 1 sdc ..8 othe detectors here 2 of doing ok rest not so flash ... luke what are youdriving will keep a look out for you an say hi ? Anyhoo pack up time an moving to anothr station will decide at the gate too go left or right ( wc or lg ) get the pedal to the metal bogs or we will get it all lol ...hahaha ..probly not ... :lol:

RG looking good for estimated ETA ........................... and leave some there for me :D It's rude not to share remember ? ;)
I took the big boss for a spin on the quad today .................... was an experience :rolleyes: she just can't work out which way to lean :lol:

Back to civilization again. Over 10 days got 16g of yella and couple of kg of a meteorite. Same as Taipan in Clermont. Maybe Clermont isn't as dry as we think :)
1471493608_20160818_095654.jpg

Next week going to try luck at LG or DH. Western Creek is getting dry and not just the weather :D

Going to be delayed getting up North and had even booked in :( work always gets in the way of every day life :rolleyes:
Looks damn good Luke the little tray of goodies .................. re Clermont ask a few that have also recently been :/

Latest posts