Very Dry In Clermont and not just the weather !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well just returned from another week in Clermont with very little to show. Swinging from dawn to dusk and the little blighters just don't want to jump under the coil.
I'd feel bad but given over several visits and having spoken to probably thirty + people with differing machines and experience their also achieving the same result. In fact some with no gold at all even after 2 weeks I think the poor old GPA's must be just about flogged out as one of the locals told me. We can't all have it wrong ................. one would hope especially given one has no trouble pulling 50 buck shot and rusted metal so small you struggle to see it in the scoop? So again if there was gold under the coil you'd have it I'd reckon. I think there is actually a post on the forum back in 2013 that some one came home with zilch after five days so I'd hate to think how many boots and Z's and SDC's have been across the GPA's since then ?

I think if your lucky enough and luck being the word to stumble over a nice nugget your very fortunate indeed. The tailings piles are so ravaged they have worn tracks over them, that's the one's still in one heap that is and not spread around as people have foraged thru them :rolleyes: Trying to find good ground that has not had a machine over it also a scarcity. (Bulldozer etc I refer to here)

Might be time they opened some new GPA areas ..................... but probably fat chance of that. If they did so would also be nice to be able to open camp in the areas rather than be restricted to a not so friendly caravan park operators (being polite here), something one is not allowed to do now, but given the rubbish left by prospectors in the current GPA's will not help that to happen. Chip bags, plastic bags, tea bags, coke cans, plastic bottles, chocolate wrappers in fact about the only thing you can't appear to find is gold everything else readily available. :eek: Back fillings holes never heard of in Clermont in fact the best one I saw was some one had obviously got a signal in the middle of the track and dug a hole ................... yep you guessed it left the hole in the middle of the track even :D So definitely a few prospectors out there that need to lift their game a little perhaps ?
Now this is not a bitch or a gripe simply just my findings after several visits to the area and may well help those spending their hard earned to carry out their hobby for a week or two ? In conclusion one would probably suggest that if you wish to practice and set up your machine then no problems as rest assured there are plenty of "practice targets" and you will leave an excellent hole digger but if your after ounces or even grams of the yella fella some where else may well be more productive unless you happen to be "Lucky Phil"
Just a footnote you have to love the SDC but I reckon it would ping a gold filling on the other side of a football field :)

So happy swinging and also watch out for these fellows as this bloke actually chased me when I got out of the car and trust me they can hurt you.
1465123644_clermont_emu_1.jpg

Plenty of the white stuff as well as iron stone just not the Yellow that goes so well with it
1465124041_clermont_quartz.jpg

Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck up there. I found a couple 1 grammers when I was up there for about 5 days. Was at McMasters GPA near an area which had been pushed. You wouldn't have found these nuggets with the SDC though because the coil is simply too big. I had my 10X5" DD coil and used it's narrow profile to search between tight scrub. I met a local at the end of the day and he reckoned he uses an even smaller 5" round mono and agreed the best place to pull gold now is running small coils in the prickly stuff. Definitely need to pull the tricks out of the hat nowadays to get onto the yellow up there. Reason I left was the mosquito's! Never been eaten alive in the way I was at the Clermont. They lifted from the ground in a thick grey fog each morning and even with copious application of bushman repellent it didn't do squat to ward them off.

Nuggetino think your spot on the money when you say pull a few tricks out of the bag ............. I think there is still gold there but certainly scarce and as some one else had commented in another post regards Clermont you will certainly work for it.
I had about the same return as yourself came home with a few grams but was lucky in it turned out to be a free trip in any case. ;) Went to the pub for tea and while waiting for my steak (was a top meal by the way) slipped $20 in the pokies and walked away with nearly $1500 .................... gold comes in many forms as they say :p
But would have liked a nice big nugget or two never the less

Hey bogger we are still up here lookn im up 2 horse shoes an a bit of lead .mrs not far behind lol .. aftr chattn to you i put that mono coil back on and had a play an got rid of the chattr out ov the 48 .anyhoo goin do it all again tomoro u jus nevr no ..... :D

rustygold said:
Hey bogger we are still up here lookn im up 2 horse shoes an a bit of lead .mrs not far behind lol .. aftr chattn to you i put that mono coil back on and had a play an got rid of the chattr out ov the 48 .anyhoo goin do it all again tomoro u jus nevr no ..... :D

Ok so don't tell me now your looking for a two legged horse that needs a filling :lol:
Now you better find some .............................. that's why I left it all there just so you wouldn't go away empty handed :D

Re the set up thanks mate but I have to thank Nenad as just passing on the good info he so freely gives. Glad it worked for you but
A little birdie told me go Mc Masters passed the dam and follow the main track straight till you hit the fence line then go to the left basically following the fence and you will come to a bog hole (remember the mud on the car ?) pull up there and try up the hill to the left you will probably see where some one has been playing ;)
Enjoy the trip ........................ very envious and who knows may catch up with you in the Palmer area
Cheers
ps If your on the scrapes watch out for the emu I think must have a nest nearby ................... he wouldn't go away till I patted his - her head with the SDC :D
1465205314_img018.jpg

I'm expecting to see a pic with a few golden bits in hand this evening ?
Don't forget to silastic the pins in on the SDC arm rest :rolleyes:
:D

Magilla said:
There is still a fortune to be made at Clermont, selling fossicking permits. :D

Yes along with maps that are useless ..................... no expense spared at Clermont GPA's and well signed also .
Luke ................. just a patch that deserved a little or a lot more looking ;)

1465272101_clermont_gps_sign.jpg

Hey champ tried posting a picture of todays finds but said image was too big !!!!! SO I WILL TRY TOO DESCRIBE IT AS BEST I CAN .. you can fit it all in the palm of my hand ...ps hand is facing down .insert picture of sad face here ..an thats about it lol ..o well tomoros another day .thats why the call ot gold detecting not gold finding hahaaha ...

Mate have a look at map and give it a try I reckon you will get some little goodies from around there, especially with the little blue one ..................... at the very least you could find another two horse shoes and at least leave with a set ? :D :lol:
Ya just need that little one mate ................ puts the spring back in ya step

No wuzz will do a run out that way tomoro will keep an eye out for bigbird shoodn b a problem i probly wont be able to outrun it but im pretty sure i can outrun the mrs lol ......

Your a cruel man lol .......................... good luck
Where did you go today ? Which GPA
Finding this snippet "The main centres of alluvial mining were in the area adjacent to the Clermont township" I'd probably give Town Reserve and Museum a try ?
But in saying that I'm pretty sure the town was moved due to floods years ago and reference to adjacent to town probably not relevant ?
Yes was moved to higher ground 1916 but don't think it was moved far as they state they dragged the buildings up the street with a traction engine
I'd reckon do a walk over the parking / rest stop area as you come into town near the Alpha turn off ??? It's not a GPA but worth a look ?
If all else fails you can open up a Farriers :rolleyes:

Clermont dry for gold? :lol: You reckon JP would call a gold desert home? Know a few blokes who travel there annually and do real well. Just because you don't catch a fish don't mean there,s no fish in the ocean. :lol:

Jon said:
Clermont dry for gold? :lol: You reckon JP would call a gold desert home? Know a few blokes who travel there annually and do real well. Just because you don't catch a fish don't mean there,s no fish in the ocean. :lol:

Fair comments Jon but also fair to say just because there is water doesn't mean there are fish in it either ? In fact just because it's called a lake doesn't even guarantee it has water :lol: :lol: If you relate it to fishing it would be most suitable to say that the GPA's have been overfished ;) going on the average of the 30 + hard lookers I spoke with and they were all fishing in the same spot :)
:) :) :)

Well m8 still a dry argument out here for me .. o well thems the brakes .met a couple ov guys that have pickd up a couple of nice slugs in last couple of days unfortunately for me all my slugs were lead ..o well took me years to get good at fishn so really i still have my l plates on in this game lol .were headn north tomorrow up to long gully area by monday so heres hopin ...ps jus a quik thankyou too clermont detector shop for helping us out with a charger for the sdc it crapt itself yesterday ...2 weeks old ... anyhoo old m8 gave us a spare power pack he had so we can keep rollin north .once again thanks guys seein i didnt buy the gear there was much appreciated... :D

Bugger ..................... keep looking you'll get one ;) . You didn't happen to get the co ordinates of the location those other fellas found a piece :D
Good of JP to look after you and regards that if you want to sms me a future post office happy to send you up some Dick Smith batteries for the SDC ............. have heaps of them.
Again enjoy and northward bound.
:lol:

These are nuggets that have come out of Clermont GPAs in the last few weeks, along with many more each and every day and rumours of a very large piece being weighed at the Clermont Post Office recently. The 29 gram bit was found with a GPX 4500 and Teds 16 gram piece with his new GPZ 7000. I am finding gold every training session and so are our customers in well know local spots just out of town.

Jonathan Porter

1466464135_29_gramb.jpg

1466464135_half_ounceb.jpg

Spot on JP. My mates find stuff like that each trip. And yeah id believe you get some each time too, they do as well so I know that's not a stretch mate. Nice slugs by the way, good on em. Have a good one mate.

Latest posts