Park and grounds disappointment

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Well it had to happen eventually, someone has started hunting my grounds in my local. I could see the poor plugs and a few piles of deliberately placed trash (ring pulls) on my two favorite local spots.
What would you do? Shrug and walk away or seed the grounds with junk targets?
I've been thoroughly working these large areas by grid for over 2 years. Still pulling out the iffy ones.
Bit heartbreaking tbh.
Or am I just being a grouchy shooter ?
Forced me into new territory picked up over $20 and a few predecs and BBs so all good there for 2 hours.

Gets harder every day and more and more watch US youtube vids and think a gigantic plug is the way to go.

Turn the plug over and the coin is about 10mm under the grass - LOL.

Slice and pop or poke and pop and even then it depends on how dry the soil is...

Take ya scrap - always take the scrap... These people that leave and or push it back = Same as those that pick up their dog poo in a plastic bag and then flick teh plastic bag away into the nearest bush. Saw a poo tree today... Big old Fig tree and when swinging around teh back = about 8 full poo bags. And yet about 10M away was a bin... Lazy selfish bastards...

Seed the grounds with junk "NO"; will only generate a lot more plugs and dead patches - No good for YOU or the people that USE and or manage the grounds...

I feel for you... and even though more and more do the wrong thing... We must remain true to the intent and our own duty of care and not fall into the trap of dispare and behave in the same manner....

I have had a few say to me; why bother, few others do ! But it my own self respect that I would be failing if I just behaved the same way...

Hell I even back fill in teh bush, scratch leaves and twigs back over and give it a good stomp... Even in a paddock that has had a soil aerator and slasher - I still do not dig a plug and still stomp on the disturbance caused by a deep coin pop...

Does it matter !!! It does to me and I like to think it is a example of how I respect my work and my self.... It is about self pride :)

GT welcome to the Grouchy Shooter and Grumpy old man club.

At least ther'll be nothing but sorrow as he follows in your footsteps Gt,.... succor your solace in that notion. ;)

I prefer to clean up any junk left lying around as I detect, as it seems to be a common practice around here to dig junk, and then either throw it back in the hole again, or leave it sitting next to the hole for someome else to find. The less junk left lying around mean less targets I have to deal with when detecting, better off just throwing them in your finds bag and depositing them in the bin.

Both my missus and myself often clean up other people's poorly excavated holes in our travels, if we don't, there is the distinct possibility that we will unfairly cop the blame for someone elses incompetance on our regularly visited spots. Best to either fix the plugs, or try and disguise them if too far gone, at least they will be less noticible to the average joe. ;)

I hear you, i found a coin patch a couple of weeks back about 8 silvers but had run out of water in the middle of day in the heat so left it only to come back next day to find holes every where worse thing was as I walked away I got good tones but just thought i will get them tomorrow. Someone was obviously watching me. I went to the trouble of finding the owner of this land before going on there too and this bas@#rd left all holes unfilled so I have fill all his holes now so land owner doesnt think its me.

You all make some solid points. Guess I'll just keep muttering away to myself and focus on pulling out the deepest ones in winter. I only went to see if there was any shallow ones that were recent drops and mark out any iffy high tones.
In this dry spell probably better off finding some easy pickings further away. I went to school and had a go on their oval pulling out some early 1900s coppers that came as a huge surprise and some late predecs silvers.
Plenty of goldies to scratch up just being a grumpy shooter. Have 3/4 of the Oval to go so happy days.

Goldpick said:
I prefer to clean up any junk left lying around as I detect, as it seems to be a common practice around here to dig junk, and then either throw it back in the hole again, or leave it sitting next to the hole for someome else to find. The less junk left lying around mean less targets I have to deal with when detecting, better off just throwing them in your finds bag and depositing them in the bin.

Both my missus and myself often clean up other people's poorly excavated holes in our travels, if we don't, there is the distinct possibility that we will unfairly cop the blame for someone elses incompetance on our regularly visited spots. Best to either fix the plugs, or try and disguise them if too far gone, at least they will be less noticible to the average joe. ;)

Incompetance???
Your far too kind , and give them too much credit
The bastards doing this (everywhere) are blatent disrespectful grubs!
They have no regard for anyone but themselves.
And for what ... Really ... Usually only a few dollars at best
Pricks deserve a damn good thonging!

Because these types lurk as guests on the Internet ! They see posts of $200 or more from parks ect and the see only the $$ ,it's sad but it's human nature .

Sandta said:
Goldpick said:

Incompetance???
Your far too kind , and give them too much credit
The bastards doing this (everywhere) are blatent disrespectful grubs!
They have no regard for anyone but themselves.
And for what ... Really ... Usually only a few dollars at best
Pricks deserve a damn good thonging!
A quick slap slap "clean up ya cr@p" should do it(discreetly like). :eek: ;)

They don't want a thong on the cheek from my size 14 foot either...

Plenty of spots Goldtarget, just make sure you don't cop the blame for others' mess, which is a recent problem for me as copycats trash the place and leave pull tabs / iron about. I usually throw can n iron into a pile by a tree so I doesn't drop my dax and then throw it all in the bin once I leave the area.

You know your doing a great job when you turn around after detecting for hours and you can even spot one plug. It almost becomes an issue! Twice today I lost where I had dug from invisible plugs!

I was snorkeling the river today with young blokes fly fishing a couple of metres away. I kind of felt like saying something, but in the end I know its not my river or section and its a public place for all. I just moved 2m away until they passed through.

Quite frankly, if I've seen someone detecting a park, I wouldn't go there as I know its half flogged so I don't know why these fools chase us anyway.

You found many spots in the past Goldtarget and you will find many more mate :) don't let the grumps get to ya as you are the one finding the spots, not them, so you will always be in front of the sheep. Always mate.

Went back to the Oval and did the west side shade trees. $23 (almost) in an hour. I've officially expelled my grumps.
Haven't have a run like this for ages. Good karma? The predecs are toast except a single 1960 threepence of dubious quality. Where the coins are between the organic layer and the clay they are getting hammered by the elements, even the goldies will probably need a tumble, definitely a first for me. The modern silvers are virtually black and unrecognizable save for size weight and id.

Might be something from that particular type of tree as well as the soil Gt. :)

Latest posts