Would you still buy one today - Minelab F1A4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I done a bit of searching and there doesn't appear to be any posts beyond maybe 2020 about the F1A4, Im just curious would you still buy one today for the purpose of finding small gold the others may not have?

I have an opportunity to pick one up for $950, it hasn't any gain or timings mod done and just wondering if its worth havingit in the arsenal?

No, I wouldn't buy one now. I would be more inclined to purchase a SD2000 that has been modified and is ready to go.
I just happen to have one right now. LOL. (I might be biased though).

Regards Axtyr.

The answer is not at that price. Detetronics does L3-L4 mod and battery for 1700-2000. add purchase price and you can pickup a 4500 or if lucky a 5k.... If you could pickup an L3-L4 for 1800 that would be on the money. pound for pound best fine/small gold machine under $5000, above $5000 the tests become a bit difficult / too close.
P.M me you you want an honest opinion on the machine.

Hi all,

I done a bit of searching and there doesn't appear to be any posts beyond maybe 2020 about the F1A4, Im just curious would you still buy one today for the purpose of finding small gold the others may not have?

I have an opportunity to pick one up for $950, it hasn't any gain or timings mod done and just wondering if its worth havingit in the arsenal?
I have both a sd 2000 and a a1f4 detectors as well as gpx4500, eureeka, infinium, nox900, the sd2000 was $1200.00 and butchered when i bought it, it is a very deep machine and woody fixed it at the time for $300.00 and got it running quiet, downside you have a 12v motorbike battery strapped to you harness adding a lot extra weight and adjustments you have to screw around many times.
A1F4 was about $2000.00 stage 2 mods, and put up on the test patch a man with a sd2300 who finds gold said it was very close to his 2300 and wanted to buy it from me, i will never part with it as its a top machine, i would go stage 3 and 4 mod but i dont have $2,000.00. Infiniumls waste of money, eureeka good machine but vlf no good in hot ground as need a pi, in pipe clay yes very good, nox 900 havent had a chance to use on gold as yet