How good are our fancy new metal detectors?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a test/comparison Axiom v 6000 but didn't have success loading the image here...
It showed with their stock/mono coils the axiom actually getting slightly better depth. I can believe this, from my experience, with in mind the Axiom stock 11x7 mono would be hard to listen to at the gain levels needed. The Garrett skid plates are definitely thicker :)

I found a test/comparison Axiom v 6000 but didn't have success loading the image here...
It showed with their stock/mono coils the axiom actually getting slightly better depth. I can believe this, from my experience, with in mind the Axiom stock 11x7 mono would be hard to listen to at the gain levels needed. The Garrett skid plates are definitely thicker :)
Goldear
I would like to know more about that test!! I own the 6000 and I was going to buy an Axiom but the 6000 was on sale at that exact time for a limited time offer, so I bought the 6000 instead in Canada here. The 6000 was about $770 CAD more expensive on sale. Regular price for the 6000 is about $8200, 25% off sale I got it for about $6100 earlier this year as I think that sale was only two months long in both Canada and the United States then the 6000 went back up to the regular price after that. The Axiom was about $5300. Then I ordered a 12x7 NF Xceed coil directly from Rohan in Australia. A friend of mine wants to buy the Axiom so I would like to know a comparison test between the two of them.

It is very hard to get out metal detecting here because there’s so many grizzly bears and it can be very dangerous to walk around in the bush. About 1 month ago a local fellow was hunting moose with a 300 Winchester Magnum about 20 kilometres from my home. 4 grizzly bears charged him and his girlfriend, they both shot hitting the mother in the mouth killing her about 10 feet in front of them. The other 3 two year old bear cubs scattered into the bush. My late dad with a 308 Winchester shot a grizzly bear that stood up in front of him in the chest and broke his back. Another grizzly bear chased my dad’s brother and my 1st cousin who climbed up a tree. Then we also have a big population of black bears, cougars, and packs of wolves that surrounded my 1st cousin, etc.. So getting out metal detecting in the bush is very difficult here. It really “is” a big problem that stops me from getting out in the bush more often.

Goldear
I would like to know more about that test!! I own the 6000 and I was going to buy an Axiom but the 6000 was on sale at that exact time for a limited time offer, so I bought the 6000 instead in Canada here. The 6000 was about $770 CAD more expensive on sale. Regular price for the 6000 is about $8200, 25% off sale I got it for about $6100 earlier this year as I think that sale was only two months long in both Canada and the United States then the 6000 went back up to the regular price after that. The Axiom was about $5300. Then I ordered a 12x7 NF Xceed coil directly from Rohan in Australia. A friend of mine wants to buy the Axiom so I would like to know a comparison test between the two of them.

It is very hard to get out metal detecting here because there’s so many grizzly bears and it can be very dangerous to walk around in the bush. About 1 month ago a local fellow was hunting moose with a 300 Winchester Magnum about 20 kilometres from my home. 4 grizzly bears charged him and his girlfriend, they both shot hitting the mother in the mouth killing her about 10 feet in front of them. The other 3 two year old bear cubs scattered into the bush. My late dad with a 308 Winchester shot a grizzly bear that stood up in front of him in the chest and broke his back. Another grizzly bear chased my dad’s brother and my 1st cousin who climbed up a tree. Then we also have a big population of black bears, cougars, and packs of wolves that surrounded my 1st cousin, etc.. So getting out metal detecting in the bush is very difficult here. It really “is” a big problem that stops me from getting out in the bush more often.
The test was on an American detector site, but i'm sure there are others also documented. I'll copy it when I get a chance. Personally we tested against the 6k while clearing up a large patch of sub-grammers (nthn goldfields WA). It had been cleared the year before with 7k and 2300 and the 6k was getting a lot of .1 /.2g pieces missed a couple of inches under. Tested directly,, ie. found with 6k, slow and low/ edge of hearing then compared to Axiom.. at first, many targets I couldn't hear with the Axiom, but then I was less than half gain and had been trying to run the detector silent. Amped up to (or near) the highest gain, similar to how I / we run the 6k the targets became clear. The 6k was still louder in response but there were none that couldn't be heard with the Axiom. I'm very much driven by initial cost as well but between these two, oddly enough, they should really be priced similar (for comparative features, future options, build quality/ the overall detector experience you get). Even after a good run with the Axiom, I think it would take another full season to work out its ideals, definitely more of a learning curve.

I have been face to face with a large bear in nth USA and would want to be pulling big nuggets against the risk. Especially if you prefer headphones

:)

Last edited:
That's minelab for you! Why would you put up the price of a detector that has reliability problems, and it is now about 2 years since it was introduced? And the 7000, which is now about 8 years since it was first introduced. wiley.

That's minelab for you! Why would you put up the price of a detector that has reliability problems, and it is now about 2 years since it was introduced? And the 7000, which is now about 8 years since it was first introduced. wiley.

Perhaps they've got rid of the old batch offaulty 6000's. The new ones might be worth their money. My new one is certainly a lot better than the first although I've not had it long enough to know if it'll make it through the next outing.

The rep mentioned the cost and shortage of electronics.

Of course they'd be short of components. I bought a detector with 2 coils but received 7 all up unless I lost count somewhere and there are plenty of others who suffered the same. I like to think they've go it sorted out now but I don't feel confident enough to go out with the GPX6000 alone. A little more testing by somebody apart from their customers would have saved a lot of pain and lack of confidence in the brand name.

How good indeed, our group bought three GPX6000s in September, by mid October two had coil issues. One was intermittent from the cord into the box connection and the other died in the coil.

Last edited:
How good indeed, our group bought three GPX6000s in September, by mid October two had coil issues. One was intermittent from the cord into the box connection and the other died in the coil.
Thats terrible Although I have been using the 6000 for about 18 without a problem I don't now use the 11 inch coil at all since I bought the 14x9 Coiltec Goldhawk ,It might be a bit heavier but it will go heaps deeper and down to .03 in weight. I have found over 100 nuggets and pickers missed with the 11 inch. Just my opinion i'm not with Nugget finder or Coiltec I have both cheers Glenno

Thats terrible Although I have been using the 6000 for about 18 without a problem I don't now use the 11 inch coil at all since I bought the 14x9 Coiltec Goldhawk ,It might be a bit heavier but it will go heaps deeper and down to .03 in weight. I have found over 100 nuggets and pickers missed with the 11 inch. Just my opinion i'm not with Nugget finder or Coiltec I have both cheers Glenno
Your results speak for themselves, Glenno and at today's gold prices, every little bit helps - well done!

Glenno,
good report, but what do you mean you have both.? You have both the 14x9 and 11 inch.? ‘Or’ you have both the Nugget Finder Xceed 12x7 and Coiltek 14x9 Goldhawk.?
~I have had my 6000 for about 6 or 7 months now also with no problems. I have the Xceed 12x7 with no complaints, I do not use the 11 inch. The only problem I had was with the headphones because I lost them🤣😂!

Last edited:
Glenno,
good report, but what do you mean you have both.? You have both the 14x9 and 11 inch.? ‘Or’ you have both the Nugget Finder Xceed 12x7 and Coiltek 14x9 Goldhawk.?
~I have had my 6000 for about 6 or 7 months now also with no problems. I have the Xceed 12x7 with no complaints, I do not use the 11 inch. The only problem I had was with the headphones because I lost them🤣😂!
For the after market coil for the 6000 I only the 14x9 coiltek

Latest posts