Howdy folks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Have only been gold detecting for a few months now. I few of my friends at the rifle/pistol range have been detecting for many years (mainly around the Kilkivan and Clermont areas). I grew up on a central Qld cattle property and as kids used to love going fossicking for thunder eggs, old bottles and artifacts around the local region. Always said I would go back there when retired and do some gold fossicking around old regional gold mining areas. Now I am retired I have gained access to a few properties that the owners either knew me or my family's property from the younger days (they don't let anyone else on their property because there was too much trouble).
I bought myself a SDC2300 on recommendation from friends and because I couldn't afford anything more expensive.
I just sleep in my car on their remote properties (no power, no through roads, or phone reception) and take enough canned/cold food and water for the week. The area is very mountainous with steep rocky gullies.
First trip after 2 1/2 days of digging up scrap metal, bullets etc. I found small a 0.8g nugget, then a bigger 14.3g one slightly deeper in the same hole. Certainly boosted my morale :) The gold is very rough and looks like coral texture (there is no option to post a photo in this thread). I have been told that is because it is very close to the original reef source.
Next trip (up to that same patch on a steep hillside) I covered that area more thoroughly and found a further 45gms (a few 6g bits, a few 4g bits and the rest various sizes under that).
On the next trip back and found nothing on the neighbouring property. On my return to the 'good patch' I found a few more bits in different spots then a 23.8g specimen in quarts on a different slope. After doing the 'in water specific gravity' weighing and calculating method, it estimated that there was 14.9gms of gold in it.
Still learning as I go but so far have done a lot of homework, watching videos, reading forums and using my gut instincts. Would like to eventually go over that good patch with the like of a GPZ7000 or GPX5000, 6000, 4500 that could locate gold deeper that my SDC2300 can. I'm sure it's there deeper.
The owners have told me not to tell others I am on their property and not reveal where I find gold (if any). I can appreciate why, as they would have a truckload of people trespassing or bugging them to get access. They know I am off a cattle property myself and honour the ways of the land and the people that live there. I guess it does indeed mean in a lot of cases who you know goes a long way. I and my family were know in the local area for being honest and having integrity, so I guess that is paying off.
I'm looking forward to getting more tips, advice and ideas from the more experienced people in this community forum.

Cheers,
Crocket

Thanks for the welcome and advice to those above.
Yes, just need a bit more capital to buy something that will go much deeper, yet still find the small sub-gram bits. Like RM suggested I would love to hang on to my 2300 as it is light and great for working steep slopes and manoeuvring in around bushes, under lantana and shortening up the shaft length when I'm on the predominantly steep slopes I'm on. I'm on and around these like a mountain goat for up to 8-10 hours a day when I go out there for a week at a time so the 2300 is great for that.
I read a lot of comments in a few forums about the benefits of the main players (7000, 4500, 5000 and now 6000) for depth etc. although a few long time detectorists that I know caution that some of these are either retailers or mates of retailers looking to boosts sales. I know that can't be true in most cases but it does get confusing with the conflicting and varying reviews. One mate that has been detecting for nearly 20 years says he swears by his 4500 and says he can find anything that a 5000 or 7000 will find??? I'm starting to think that the new 6000 may be a good all-rounder. However, if I hang on to my 2300 then I expect my second machine should be one that can go the deepest, to get the rest in a given area?
I'll keep going around those areas for a few more months... and reading a lot more comments/advice over that time, before deciding what to do. Gotta put the 'business case' to my wife as well if I'm shelling out more of our retirement funds to keep two detectors :D
Thanks again for your knowledge and advice.

Threats of violence will not be tolerated on the forum regardless of the issue being discussed.
Please, make sure you guys get written permission. I've found a number of individuals prospecting on my property multiple times an claim they had permission. I am honestly sick of explaining too prospectors an two wheeled hero's they are trespassing. Get written permission! You might be lucky enough to be pointed in the right direction!
IMG_20230601_171848.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i'ts never too hard to knock on a gate and ask
but for some people it is always in the too hard basket to ask

they prefer to jump the fence then causes all sorts of problems for themselves and unfortunately make it harder for the people that do the right thing

Please, make sure you guys get written permission. I've found a number of individuals prospecting on my property multiple times an claim they had permission. I am honestly sick of explaining too prospectors an two wheeled hero's they are trespassing. Get written permission! You might be lucky enough to be pointed in the right direction!
View attachment 12780
There is no evidence of any wrongdoing by forum members here.
The OP states in his opening post:
"Now I am retired I have gained access to a few properties that the owners either knew me or my family's property from the younger days (they don't let anyone else on their property because there was too much trouble)."
This forum always promotes responsible fossicking/prospecting & following your state legislation & rules.

A mate and I were given permission to fossick for sapphires in the Crookwell area many years ago on a stream that ran through his property. We had a few successful trips and some nice stones resulted. We asked if he would like a few and he said keep em, so a couple of bottles of good scotch he accepted as payment in full. Always ask and remember, NO means NO. Best Wishes Mackka

A mate and I were given permission to fossick for sapphires in the Crookwell area many years ago on a stream that ran through his property. We had a few successful trips and some nice stones resulted. We asked if he would like a few and he said keep em, so a couple of bottles of good scotch he accepted as payment in full. Always ask and remember, NO means NO. Best Wishes Mackka
Completely agree! I just arrived home from the Qld gemfields last week' it was tough fossicking. Lucky that I stuck it out because the last two days rained an found these sun baking on the surface, I haven't dropped them off at the rock doctors yet but fingers crossed 🤞 Resized_20220820_100845.jpegResized_20220820_101039.jpeg

Latest posts