SDC Experience

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SDC is an electronic panning detector a majority of the pieces found might be small/tiny but they do add up quickly. I have hit some good patches with SDC one was at bonnie-jean track surface areas at daisy hill. Each photo is a full day of detecting. But I have sold my SDC for $500 recently so I can spend more time using the 6k.

Attachments

• 20181029_195845.jpg
    20181029_195845.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190214_165826.jpg
    20190214_165826.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20160611_184359.jpg
    20160611_184359.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20160326_073133.jpg
    20160326_073133.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Like nenad I run on sensitivity 1. lowest threshold 3 which is good when working a patch of crumbs, 4 threshold general searching just so its a faint hum then using a generic booster (nothing flashy) increase or decrease that stable hum to preference depending on ground. Its like an extra overall volume control to the SDC. I have found and paid for my SDC 38 times over which might not seem like much to 7 days prospectors. I still used standard headphones so I don't think the headphones really make much of a difference to overall target performance. The only time I increase SDC to 5 sensitivity is to do EMI cancel check as it helps enhance the EMI source then do the cancel and afterwards switch back to 1. I also keep my coil semi-floppy not too tight as its easier to glide perfectly with ground contours resulting in a more thorough ground coverage.

Well I guess everyone is different just about 90% of the people I run into in the bush run on 5 SDC sensitivity its to get better depth they say haha lol. But maybe there is also a different reason behind it so I thought I better ask the question in here.
I did some depth testing of my SDC a while ago & whilst 5 sensitivity gave about 10% extra depth over 2 under controlled conditions , I personally found 5 too chattery and doubt I would get that extra depth in real life.

Maybe I just need to spend more time at 5 and get used to it.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0-vs-tdi-sl-vs-gold-kruzer.37507/#post-612976

Like nenad I run on sensitivity 1. lowest threshold 3 which is good when working a patch of crumbs, 4 threshold general searching just so its a faint hum then using a generic booster (nothing flashy) increase or decrease that stable hum to preference depending on ground. Its like an extra overall volume control to the SDC. I have found and paid for my SDC 38 times over which might not seem like much to 7 days prospectors. I still used standard headphones so I don't think the headphones really make much of a difference to overall target performance. The only time I increase SC to 5 sensitivity is to do EMI cancel check as it helps enhance the EMI source then do the cancel and afterwards switch back to 1. I also keep my coil semi-floppy not too tight as its easier to glide perfectly with ground contours resulting in a more thorough ground coverage.

Well I guess everyone is different just about 90% of the people I run into in the bush run on 5 SDC sensitivity its to get better depth they say haha lol. But maybe there is also a different reason behind it so I thought I better ask the question in here.

I don't worry about depth as targets are buried at random depths all across the goldfields. I mostly just concentrate on hearing the slightest change in threshold. I need the threshold absolutely smooth and stable and that's why I was on 1 sensitivity on SDC. In fact I'm still on 1 sensitivity on 6k. I usually detect for 10 hours - settings need to be pleasant for the entire prospecting day experience and at the end of that day I don't have a sore head, ears or can still hear the detector bleeping on in my head when trying to watch TV at home.

Only had the SDC for a few yrs but it was my first and is my most used detector. I can't run SDC on anything above 3. Far too chatty and susceptible to interference I think and I do think you miss those very faint signals. I agree with comments above on less is better, as I've found quite a few bits under 100th of a gm with settings on 2 and 1 & volume about half-way when there's quite a lot of interference. I have good headphones which helps a lot.