My beach finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All and Paulmarr,

I will add to my "to do" list some photos of finds.

At the moment I am researching a race track that operated in my local area from about 1909 to around 1937. There is no parish maps here in my local library for it so there is a lot of hunting. I am also researching a local "pub" come brothel and cattle/horse sale yards. In 1915 horses were purchased for the army and driven from Penrith(NSW) to Liverpool to the Army base there by Army personnel. A great uncle of mine was one of these men.

I have now changed my park scanning to after six am as a big group of runners is in the parks too, a safety thing otherwise three of us go together. I have given up the night trips, too many drunks and hoons racing their cars and hoods with knifes around, after dark.

One other project I have is all those old buggered pennies I mount then inside a small picture frame, say six or eight and have given them to historical societies' with information on the back of where found and others I have sold for $20.

Bob.

The definite easiest owners to find are the ones that describe what they lost and send you off in the right direction.

Greetings fellow members ... Tuesday night and another hunt on the beach - this time I went out solo as Bogan needed his beauty sleep... Anyway, quiet night and after two hours I called it a night ... The arm is getting a little tired from the multiple hunts in row.

Here are the treasures...

1ad788a7a753b21eba8c574720f8f250_zps13be4f8d.jpg

Not very numerous but I was happy ... 5 coins - 4 pre-dec and 3 of those silvers - 2 x shillings and 1 x 6p - and a 20 cent piece I thought was a florin :(

Then there are three rings ... That CTX was no where to be seen and the rings started appearing for the GT :). Let's start out with the silver rings ... Firstly the gents ring - pretty sure it's silver but will need to clean to be sure...

f851cfb120bd1cbe3c12345c32f850f3_zps430896bb.jpg

ff522e9901c435d4cd0e0d98c633c536_zps655071a9.jpg

Then the quite old ladies silver ring ... Also needing a clean

1a43bf3b69034351a5746fe6dda4d074_zps05833ac2.jpg

202aa00a3706fd366de1f7d3a1230da3_zps13142ecd.jpg

And finally the 9k gold ladies ring in the shape of a heart with the letter V on the front....

f1b417cd99baa3d673f1891fa0775a6c_zpsab869fc9.jpg

558ae9ef8c64c88965ad777e252d733e_zpsc601f104.jpg

It's missing a bit of the band but looks old too...

That's gold four hunts in a row (four nights in a row) and three rings in one hunt which is a record for me... I am having an absolute ball in case you can't tell... :D You might be wondering why I am going out every night but the Mrs has been out of town visiting her mother - and I have been taking advantage of an opportunity to exercise :lol:

Let's not forget the junk.... Not much tonight but found the other end of my spoon

e5c567a1f94c0a092e5648fba63ec0cc_zps87283698.jpg

Sorry about the video quality from my iPhone but here is the gold ring find...

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/yl6quLFt15A[/video]

You guys must have an ounce of gold between you by now, certainly easier and more consistant than trying to look for nuggets, and didn't have to fork out $6000+ for a decent detector. ;)

Goldpick said:
You guys must have an ounce of gold between you by now, certainly easier and more consistant than trying to look for nuggets, and didn't have to fork out $6000+ for a decent detector. ;)

Something like 75 grams of 9K and 18K gold now ... yes GP - no $6000 detector nor long drives into the bush with fuel and accommodation costs either ... the beach is close enough to the house that I can see the sea from the front yard - 5 minutes travel time and you are detecting! Not to mention bikini clad depositors in the summer time! No need to convince me! ;)

Went out for a swing this evening - beautiful night and not a soul around ... Low tide... Conditions were about perfect... Except the lack of targets!

Yes ... Happy to post "Gold Baby!" And also happy to post "Nada Baby" too - hear are the finds ...

7AEA1FFF-A8D6-4818-AAA1-20BC1EEBF265_zpsonjsgusa.jpg

No silver, no gold, no bling jewellery - even hit a patch of sinkers which gave me a little hope and a lock which had me digging a while... an old pocket knife, an old drawer handle looking like brass... And that was about it.

I guess you can't expect a smorgasbord every night ... And for the newbies out there in reality you get the occasional hunt where the only thing you find is your way home ... But that is the fun of it ... What challenge would it be if you could pull silver and gold every time you went out?

That was 7 night sessions in a row ... And I'm buggered! My personal tally was 14 silver coins, 4 rings (1 gold), a gold earring, and a sore body! Of course SA Bogan got the rest ... the CTX/SA Bogan is hard to compete with. That was approx. 20 hours of detecting. :)

I have to laugh, one night Bogan and I were at the back of his wagon, preparing for the hunt, when a guy stopped to ask for a smoke (I'm a smoker and he saw me puffing). After he got what he was after, he said "Tight lines guys!" He must have known we were going sand fishin'! ;)

Until next hunt ...

Paulmarr said:
Goldpick said:

Something like 75 grams of 9K and 18K gold now ... yes GP - no $6000 detector nor long drives into the bush with fuel and accommodation costs either ... the beach is close enough to the house that I can see the sea from the front yard - 5 minutes travel time and you are detecting! Not to mention bikini clad depositors in the summer time! No need to convince me! ;)

Bikini clad depositors. .. I'm not sure how I feel about this, never seen one detecting but not sure I would get much detecting done if there was. Go Team Bogan. Those figures really put it in perspective.

Goldtarget said:
Paulmarr said:
Goldpick said:

Bikini clad depositors. .. I'm not sure how I feel about this, never seen one detecting but not sure I would get much detecting done if there was. Go Team Bogan. Those figures really put it in perspective.

Ah... that is my strategy for using the Sovereign GT - no screen to look at so your eyes can wander a bit ... ;)

Despite looking as grimy as they do, the ol silver rings clean up very nicely, pity most of them don't fit me. :| Just posted one I cleaned up from the other night, came up real good. :)

Goldpick said:
Despite looking as grimy as they do, the ol silver rings clean up very nicely, pity most of them don't fit me. :| Just posted one I cleaned up from the other night, came up real good. :)

Yes it did - I had a look on your thread - I was in doubt this one was a ring at all - it looked almost like a pipe fitting and perfectly round - colour very dark brown - but the electrolysis loosened the crud and lo and behold a silver 8g ring. Pity to think it is the same value as a scrap florin as far as silver recycler is concerned ... :rolleyes:

Hi Mackka

Yeah I am having withdrawal symptoms too - the tides in Adelaide have been non existant (dodge tides) but coming good for the weekend so hopefully I will have some finds to show you over the weekend ... (Bloody work is always getting in the way!) :)

Well .. A very unproductive weekend ... We hit a couple of different beach locations this weekend and all I can report is they are severely sanded in - a sandbar that had been sitting a couple hundred metres off shore this past summer has made its way in and covered all the targets good and bad :(.

Here was an interesting find ... A dog tag ... But a very long way from home!

885AFB99-1E29-46DF-BB0E-B90A0E426CF6_zpstpdfh13h.jpg

FC0C8A2D-45AA-448D-865B-8891ACAEA1CD_zpsvdvpoecr.jpg

Hopefully we will get a storm or two but it doesn't look likely for the next week ....