My beach finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi GP

The Explorer has been shelved for now until I get the chance of taking it for a checkup at Minelab ... Found the 22k gold ring on the second target and then retired it! (Cough, sputter)

I think the EMI interference is probably what the issue is ... When I am not at the beach it runs fine or if it's in the water it runs smooth - my theory is the street lights might be effecting it - I haven't had the chance to go to the beach during the day but if it behaves then that is the problem. I didn't read anywhere that EMI affects the Explorer but based on your experiences and then mine ... That's pretty bad if it's true - maybe why they ceased making them?

Are you using auto sensitivity or manual, and have you tried to manually adjust the frequency on noise cancel, as the lighting emi might only be affecting one or more frequencies.

Typical EMI causes those continuous fluty tones, then you try to do a factory reset (hold the power button dowm for a few seconds on startup), and the detector remains stable for a short while before the EMI gradually creeps back in, before becoming overwhelming - that's my usual experience on it.

I have found that the Pro coil is quite noisy in some bad emi areas, but have been using the 10x5" coiltek coil recently, and it is much improved. Also have to try out the 12x8 coiltek coil more to see how that fares.

Also try to drop the gain back vs before resorting to drops in sensitivity, that may also help on emi.

I generally have no issues down the beach with EMI, other than operating right next to jetties running power cabling and phone towers, but buried cabling in parks and at ovals can be a pain. There shouldn't be an issue with EMI from lighting, especially if it is a reasonable distance away. I'd still get it checked out just to be sure.

What ya do when the beaches are sanded in or the dodge tide is on? Clean your finds!

The florins we found the other day - remember they were green cakes?

1AECB887-0D11-4358-8020-BA02CF3F1B7B_zps6wh537pl.jpg

10D46FF6-68A1-46C0-98A3-00A60B6969EE_zpsx0t3y9ri.jpg

1929 Mercury Dime at 18 inches ... :)

1B875790-4243-4F81-B3F8-056495FC3084_zpsvaqe0nqf.jpg

Very nice, some of the Florins came up real well. Looks like you hit a spot with coins all graded from around the same era, with most being QE2. Just need to find the honey hole of QE2 half/full sovereigns. ;)

I did them in two batches - it just depends on how big of a container you are using if you use metal rods to suspend the objects ...

Here is the silver bracelet together for the first time after finding each half 58 days apart on the same beach ...

A3BBE162-DE08-4281-905A-DCCDD57C9F37_zpsh5ps0ivj.jpg

Love Greg 1971 inscribed on one half and SSIL on the other ... It would be nice to find the young lass who lost it ... Say she was 16 in 1971 that would make her 59 years young today...

I have a long copper wire which i wrapped around each coin into one bundle and worked well.
A few more minutes left.

treasureman said:
I have a long copper wire which i wrapped around each coin into one bundle and worked well.
A few more minutes left.

Yup that's what I do too - I have learned the more salty the electrolyte the more conductive it is - I have a variable power supply and put about 2 amp through the system

It's ok to play with those silvers if they are just going to be scrap anyway, one of us will end up finding a solution that works on the unworkable coins one day soon. what numbers are you up to for the year now ?

My first 2015 finds.

In the past I've seen one person on the beach when I've been down and one when driving past, one lady in the back gound of a news reader on the tv. But today I had 6 running around like made men. Just south of Semaphore jetty. They seem to be desperate. This old fella was swinging his detector left and right so high and fast on each side that I could see the whole bottom of his skid plate.

Good start for me I found new digging tools. :p

1420096204_01_jan_15.jpg

Good on you Rodger, for pulling all those sparkler wires out of the beach(they are nasty things), I hope they were already bundled up like that for you so it wasn't too much of a task. Aint it funny when you spot newbs out and about and without a clue yet, just swinging away,...they might as well use a fly swatter(it'd be cheaper for them).You should have yelled out and organised them to detect closely together in a line,...it would have been funny seeing them digging false signals everywhere as their machines interfered with each other(ha)

Hi Silver,

No, pulled each and every single one of those sparklers out. Lucky they put them in one spot.

I like to pull most junk out and show it here as some others do. Show the good with the bad. In the photo top left is rusted metal. It's a very low tone and wast of time digging it but it's fun to be out.

The one guy I spoke to new what he was doing, (seem too)he pulled a Silver ring out. But he was traveling a long way, no real pattern, just up and down, zig zag the beach. From the jetty I last saw him about 3 hundred meters away. They were all doing that, what i have read here is to use a grid pattern. I didn't travel to far, just tried to cover the ground better.

Well done on the finds Roger, and good on you for picking up those pesky sparklers. You may want to start your own finds thread, as you are currently tacking onto Paulmarr's personal thread, Cheers. :)

Latest posts