Other Gold Detectors....?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cry

Reaction score
I'm looking for something other than a Minelab or Garrett. I want a machine with some kind of discrimination. Has anyone found/used something they have liked?

Here are a couple detectors I'm looking at:

*Vogel Qz80
*Tarasacci MDT 8000 (I have this one).
*Klayzer 2D Max

I picked up a used MDT 8000 dirt cheap. It's a beach detector but is very unique as it runs PI and one of three vlf frequencies. Handles mineralized ground very well. I'm still learning the Black Sand and the Salt modes, but so far I like the machine. Found a 45cal slug at 9" and a couple 22slugs at 4". I have a 0.5g test nugget, which sounds off at around 2". The 2g nugget sounds off at 6". Appears to be more sensitive than my F75 but the dang machine still likes old nails and flat tin tops.

Rob

Attachments

• 20220807_120822.jpg
    20220807_120822.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Pulse Induction metal detectors that are more marketed &/or geared towards gold detecting have basic discrimination at best, or none at all. Nothing at all like what's available on VLF coin/relic type machines.

I'd hazard to guess that other not well known machines outside of Garrett & Minelab etc. are not well known for good reason. Put simply if they worked better or had better discrimination abilities they would be known of.

Have you considered the new Garrett Axiom that has discrimination & from early reports is not far behind the top range Minelab machines for gold detecting?

Several years ago when I attended the APLA open day Denise from The Prospectors Pick handed me a Minelab Gold Monster. I thought it was a joke, it seemed too light and feeble to be a real gold detector however I've slowly changed my view. I've witnessed people pulling tiny specimens of gold in quartz where my 6000 failed to respond. Then I see others like Shane from WestOzAdventures using it on a more professional level so obviously I misjudged this little toy/detector.

VLF.jpg

I don't have a Gold Monster but I do have other VLF machines with tiny coils.

Coils.JPG

Has anybody compared these old, once good VLF machines to the modern Minelab machine? The White's GMT has a 6"x4" shooter coil and the Fisher Gold Bug Pro has a 4½" Gold Bug coil.

I'm interested to know if I'm likely to get performance similar to the Gold Monster from these machines.

Last edited:
The GMT works OK, apparently:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ter-information-and-questions.3352/post-10112
That Fisher is only a 19kHz machine - too low to get anywhere near the sensitivity of the Monster. The Fisher Gold Bug 2 (a very different machine, despite the similar name), runs at a much higher frequency and has a good reputation for sniifing out small gold.

We bought the GMT new and it found Mrs M's first gold although we only use it for treasure hunting now. I picked up the Fisher from a deceased estate and it still has battery charge so I should give it a go. The little coil has never been used.

I had the GMT, it is sensitive, I had found two small pieces with it but it's tough going. It's very noisy and jittery (every jitter could be a target signal), I do not recommend you get it.

Latest posts