Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasional_panner said:
20xwater said:
A property I am prospecting does not bait but every property around it does 1080, I've been taking my dog with me, he never goes far.
Land owner told me yesterday...is my dog at risk?

Read this,
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08...as-regulators-grapple-with-1080-bait/11383644
Sounds like taking a dog anywhere in the bush is a risk.
Land owner told me yesterday that all baiting is finished. Still worried!
The property is 1200 acres, gold occurrence is about 500 meters to closest boundary.

Condolences for loss of a family member, Always heart breaking when they leave and this is one of the worse case scenarios.

It has never worked in the past and it wont work now HP

The problem with baiting the bush fire areas, is the native animals have nothing to eat ,so they will eat the baits,
the baits will kill more animals than the dingo,dogs and feral cats combined

It is just the state government departments are to lazy to get of their collective fat arses, and do the baiting as it should be done

Dropping baits all over the the place from the air is just stupid
They will say, we will cover more ground in less time and control more pest's
But the stats say ,that a :poop: load of natives have to die, for each feral that a bait will get

Then you have the other problem,with abundant food for the feral pest without cover/protection or injured from the fires ,how many feral's are going to pick up a bait

The only way to do it properly is to asses the area, and place the baits where they are needed ,not a blanket cover from the air

Very true Dihusky, I saw it done a few years ago down south and was saddened by the amount of Dead animals we saw... Not one was a Feral... There were a few signs up, very small signs tho and you had to get out of the car to read them but not as many as there should have been.... One Private Property got 'bombed' and he went and complained and they came out and picked up a few baits... But he still found lots of Dead animals including His own Dog...... :brokenh:

LW...

I read that article and my opinion is it's a load of crap with skewed statistics and possibly written more with emotions than facts.

Aerial baiting DOES work.
I can't speak for the rest of Australia, I can only speak of how it works here on Erlistoun through first hand experiance and how it works on the surrounding stations through discussions with those with the first hand experience on those stations.

In the article she mentions a couple of times about the lack of carcasses and sort of uses this as evidence it doesn't work.

One of the effects of 1080 poisoning is photophobia. A poisoned dog will seek out a dark place and hide, you generally wont find the carcass.
Think of if you've ever had a pet cat or dog hit by a car or poisoned or bit by a snake. What do they do? Go hide in the shed or under the house.

The lack of carcasses is not evidence that it is not working. The drop in footprints and the drop in stock attacks IS evidence it does work.

When we aerial bait here I am the navigator in the plane and I decide where the baits are to be dropped. They are not dropped willy nilly all over the country side. They are dropped from a max of 200 feet high and only in areas that I cant safely get to and bait in my vehicle. And yes, the station is heavily sign posted, neighbours are informed and there is a strict policy of where and where not we can bait and a time frame.

Strychnine is ONLY used in traps and I've never seen a dog last longer than 15 minutes in a trap.
I cannot relate a time frame from poisoning to death for a wild dog with a 1080 bait but I can for domestic dogs and have never seen one last more than half an hour once symptoms appear. This of cause will vary greatly from dog to dog and dosage dependant.
My Elvis who took one last year was under 2 minutes from symptoms until I shot him but I have no doubt he would not have lasted more than 5 minutes.

Copy and paste of something I previously wrote on a baits thread.

"Not sure any animal is immune to 1080 but it is a fact that many natives have a tollerance to it. Dogs and cats etc only need one small bait where as many natives would need anything up to five or more and even then some will recover.

1080 is Sodium fluoroacetate which is synthetic not natural, where as Potassium fluoroacetate is the natural version found in a number of plants species here in the west that are in the diet of many natives.

1080 used with baited canid ejectors is species specific. Only dogs can set off the ejector.
Dingos will often shy away from a bait where a wild dog will scoff one down every time.

As for crows picking up and dropping baits, while that could happen no doubt, there seem to be a lack of any factual evidence of that happening. It is usually brought out when a domestic dog dies in town. But realistically that can usually be put down to a disgruntled neighbour.
The same can be said for the other myth that baits get transported in the tread of tyres and dumped elsewhere for a dog to pick up. This one for some odd reason is usually surfaces when a dog dies in a van park.

Yes baits are horrible. It's a shocking and painful way to go. But it is damn quick! I shot pup at about a minute after symptoms were evident. I have no doubt he would not have lasted another minute anyway.

Shooting is brilliant. Bang! Dog is dead. But it's not an effective control method as you just dont see 95% of the dogs.

Trapping works well too and I have good success with the traps. But again you'll probably get maybe 1%. The traps are also a nasty way to go as they are laced with strychnine. It is illegal for us to trap without it as the dog will suffer until someone checks the traps to put it down.

I hate 1080. I hate strychnine. But until someone comes up with a better alternative we have no choice but to use it."

Swinging & digging said:
Mate got hit by a T Bone steak laced with poison while out bush walking so no very dangerous.
Plenty of Hunters would do a better selective job at pest eradication.

I can assure you we do not throw poisoned T Bones out of aeroplanes, all baits are made from either horse or camel and are diced and boneless.

As with MadTuna,
It works in Wa but it don't work here in the east. :awful:

1080 is very good in arid climates where it exists in it's
natural environment, Feral species do not know what is
going on and eat a bait.
Good Riddance I say...
It is at times a cruel death but,
That cat or Fox aint gonna do no more damage. :cool:

But back here in the God protected eastern burnt out bush,
Nup. It kills everything.

Selective baiting is just an excuse. Nothing, Nothing just beats
a bullet. So quick, Effective, And people spend a shite load off
money to do it.

But, They are not allowed to eat or remove anything from a National Park.

" Commercial Enterprise " but the shooter may be paid a "Bounty. "

Very, Very one sided...
Dogooders..... ]:D ]:D ]:D

Spot on Doug, it won't work here and will kill everything... Even Animals that don't eat meat normally will try it in times of no food...

Even Aerial Culling has its issues over here... Look what happened at Guy Fawkes National park on the north coast of NSW several years ago... The Brumby cull that left Brumbies with bullet wounds and still alive to suffer a slow painful death... All done by NPWS... :mad:

LW...

Latest posts