Felix walking the fence.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Monday I received a call from Mrs M at work. She works at the Cue Heritage Centre developing their little museum. It's in the early stages but open to the public. One visitor, a 36 year old German man, walked into town pushing a cart with two tyres that had been punctured by double G's and more of our local thorns.

Thorns.jpeg

He'd had a few goes at repairs but had no patches left and was running on empty. We soon had both tyres repaired but I only had one spare patch suitable for a bike tyre to give him.

Felix is tracing the 2400km path travelled by the three girls, Molly, Daisy and Gracie who escaped from the Moore River Native Settlement in 1931. He's watched the movie and read the book a couple of times and felt compelled to walk their path from 90 years ago.

The best thing: I really enjoy being outside all the time, experiencing the country with all me senses! The hot, the cold, the smell of the wild flowers, the stars at night…. And that feeling when I am out there on my own putting my tent up knowing that I might be the only human in 50 or 100 km, it is somewhat scary but at the same time it is good to know that I am alright on my own too!

The worst thing: that I underestimated the paths that much, from my research it look like mainly dirt and sand, but those thorns are the biggest danger to me. No trolly, no water. No water, no Felix! And that I am hungry all the time 😉

No not yet! I mean when I walked into Cue after 35 km of pumping the tires up every odd 400 m, I thought: body is broken, mind is broken, but the spirit is not! I thought of the girls and what they had to endure and that makes my suffering look so small!

Cheers

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Felix camped.jpeg

Of course the three young girls never had any protection from the elements. They only had the clothes they were wearing when they escaped.

Felix loaded.jpeg

On the other hand they didn't have to push a 70kg trolley all the way ;)

Last edited:
Interesting as a mate of mine in Perth has just completed the Camino de Santiago Pilgrim walk in Spain all 790 kilometres and he returned yesterday as a new man. Takes more than stamina to do wha these blokes are doing and I am afraid I don't have mindset nor the outdoors knowledge so I dips my lid to them. God Speed and safe travels to all adventurers. Mackka