Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well it was quite an eventful day today. We finally went back to the spot near the highway where I found a patch a few weeks ago, we hadn't been back there as we were getting lots near camp but also Dudettes woman's intuition was telling her there was something wrong with this spot.

I was disappointed when we arrived as I noticed a couple of fresh dig holes in my patch. The patch had lots of small bushes really close and I had my 18" mono on, so instead of changing coils I walked 50m up hill where it was clearer around some trees. I started pinging nuggets straight away and had a couple nice bits about a gram within 10min. I noticed dudette waving out and assumed she had just nabbed a nice nugget, when she come running over I could tell by the look on her face something was wrong.

Diggerdog had grabbed a 1080 bait! Luckily he is kept on a lead with dudette while we are out or we wouldn't have even known. He didn't eat any that she seen but had had it in is mouth, we knew this was bad and immediately threw all the gear in the wagon ( leaving behind dudettes pick and scoop in our haste ) and rushed towards town. We were 60km out and knew time was critical so I sat on about 140kmph.

We got to the vet in half hour and they immediately gave him some type of morphine to make him spew and to sedate him. 1080 takes 1-2 hrs to kick in so we had an extremely nervous wait in the car park while waiting for the verdict. After 2.5hrs he was still ok and we were extremely relieved and glad we had got to the vet quick. He is now sleeping peacefully next to me on the bed.

Lesson learnt, even if your best friend is on a lead next to you it is still possible to get caught out. He will be wearing a muzzle at all times from now on. And always listen to his mothers intuition.

I will go back tomorrow alone to pick up dudettes pick and scoop and clean the patch out by myself. We are so grateful that diggerdog is ok as no amount of gold can replace your best friend.

DD

Thank goodness you saw him early mate. there's no turning back with thoes baits. It wouldve been horrific for him and both of you.
Im glad hes on the mend, hes such a good dog [he even fills his own holes after a dig....just like DD taught him.. :)]
I'll bring him some new sticks to play with next time.
Keep well and keep safe guys.
Cheers
Chris

Hay DD
Good to hear you didn't loose Jaffa. Just goes to show you have to keep your eye on them.
Were there any signs? In NSW you are required to post warning signs when you lay bates.

Cheers
Mick

I'm so glad everything turned out ok mate. Jaffa is a fantastic dog and it would have been terrible to lose him.
Stay safe and keep digging up those nuggets.
Cheers
George :)

DD glad Jaffa is all good as you can see the bond you guys have with him glad he's ok and the misso sends her regards.

Hi DD, I'm glad digger dog is ok. I've seen a couple of dogs who have had 1080 poisoning, it's a horrible way to die. Up here property owners have to have signs on every entrance to the property were the 1080 is. This works to a certain extent but birds and other wild life can carry it on to other properties that don't have 1080. Then there's the people who bait illegally.
:) Mick

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of travelling to Mudgee/Hill End area. Have heard there is an extensive 1080 baiting program for wild dogs & pigs underway between Mudgee & Hill End + surrounding areas which I imagine would include Windeyer & Hargraves.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, we are extremely relieved it all turned out ok.
The baits are everywhere over here in WA, there doesn't seem to be any regulation as in other states. I have heard of people who have lost there dogs in caravan parks before from crows picking them up and dropping them in. So you must be very careful everywhere here.
It is a very nasty way to die and indescriminate in what they kill, I reckon they should be banned.

DD

Very nasty, is lethal enough to kill even by secondary poisoning from a pet eating a piece of carcass. Extremely water soluable too so it spreads out everywhere and enters the food chain.

Glad to hear your dog is going to be okay. Scary time for you both :eek:

Best go back & clean that patch up to pay for the vet bill now.

Best of luck - Marty

I am there doin that now Marty :) , got a 2 grammer as soon as I started. Sitting in the car at the moment waiting for the rain to stop.
Vet bill wasn't too bad, only $200. I should have that in half hour once this rain stops :) .

DD

Hey DD, if you get overloaded with nuggets send some my way. I have the kids birthday parties to organise (3). :eek:
They are costing me a fortune LOL
Cheers
George :D

I reckon you'd get me in trouble with Dudette if I did that George ;) . Best I can do is put you and Chris on the right spot when you get over here. Although I see Chris is selling the 2100, does this mean he is getting a new 5k and your getting a new pick? :D .

DD

Latest posts