Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what does this device do with the "big" cats that fail to set the sensor off? Ive seen feral cats the size of a decent size dog :eek:
As mentioned though it is a very creative device :Y: Hats off to aussie ingenuity :beer:

Not sure husky regards to the bigger cats, worth contacting the Adelaide university to see what they say. Good question :beer:

Unless they can get the cost of each unit down to under $100 they'll never become main stream unfortunately...even though anything that can take out feral cats is worth 10 times as much!

Aerial baiting will be taking place across the gold fields from about the 5th until about the 23rd of July. I will update when we know what date we have locked in although ground baiting is on going.

Dogs are thick at the moment and packing. What is worrying is what I saw today looked more like dogs having fun than hunting for food.
5 dogs had already brought down a cow and a young bull and were attacking a 3rd bull. We are not talking calves but good sized and capable micky bulls.
They were not scared of me at all and 1 of them I shot as it full on charged at me. 2 I shot while they were ripping into a cow and the last 2 decided about then that it was probably not a good idea to hang around.

The cow and the bull they had brought down, were alive but with ears mangled or completely gone and severely savaged arse ends. Both were put down. The 3rd 1 was okay thankfully.

Yeah, that aint good MT.... sounds like theyre going to be a real concern for unwary prospectors with their focus on other things :goldnugget: .... be smart to buddy up in the field if possible.

madtuna said:
Unless they can get the cost of each unit down to under $100 they'll never become main stream unfortunately...even though anything that can take out feral cats is worth 10 times as much!

Aerial baiting will be taking place across the gold fields from about the 5th until about the 23rd of July. I will update when we know what date we have locked in although ground baiting is on going.

Dogs are thick at the moment and packing. What is worrying is what I saw today looked more like dogs having fun than hunting for food.
5 dogs had already brought down a cow and a young bull and were attacking a 3rd bull. We are not talking calves but good sized and capable micky bulls.
They were not scared of me at all and 1 of them I shot as it full on charged at me. 2 I shot while they were ripping into a cow and the last 2 decided about then that it was probably not a good idea to hang around.

The cow and the bull they had brought down, were alive but with ears mangled or completely gone and severely savaged arse ends. Both were put down. The 3rd 1 was okay thankfully.

That's not good mate, at least you got 3 of them. Time to cheer you up. Carol said she would cook you your favourite meal and also throw in some sticky date pudding if you come and visit. :cake:

I know you probably won't be able to as you are most likely being inundated with prospectors just like us. :pickshovel:

Cheers

Doug

When young Jeff finishes his next swing and has a week off I'll be over! :Y: :D
and yeah...prospectors crawling about everywhere...

FgBXMW0.jpg

Moneybox said:
I don't think the native dog does much damage. The problem has been created by the farmer's dogs breeding with wild dogs.

Now how did the wild dogs get out there? This is an age old argument that pops up every time someone puts up warnings of 1080 baiting.

It's simple, don't take your dog out bush unless you accept that it will eat a bait and die. They need controlling.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Moneybox said:
I don't think the native dog does much damage. The problem has been created by the farmer's dogs breeding with wild dogs.

Now how did the wild dogs get out there? This is an age old argument that pops up every time someone puts up warnings of 1080 baiting.

It's simple, don't take your dog out bush unless you accept that it will eat a bait and die. They need controlling.

Cheers

Doug

Easier said than done, will be bringing my little 15 year old dog Bella to the PA Meeting this weekend it's either that or I have to stay home :/

Jaros, money box and shakergt ,

Everything that eats these baits is a introduced pest species that doesnt belong in native Australia (except the dingo maybe which mostly likely was also introduced by indigenous Australians) , most of these eat our native wildlife and usually do so in a brutal and sickening attack.

The comment that its " farmers dogs " disappoints me greatly , it shouldn't single farmers out , most wild dogs I have seen resemble suburban pets and hunting dogs .

1080 can be a painful death ,
unfortunately the harder people go against it, the more restricted the authorities are on making the baits.
10 or 15 years ago the animal that ate 1080 would only travel upto 50 meters before being stone dead. But now with weak dosing they can survive for ahout 5 hours.
In my opinion this mostly has come about to give people time to get their pet to the vet to save its life after its been somewhere it should never have been.

Dogs are slowly getting more rights than humans , we are getting soft (which is good in some ways) but crazy in others , if something comes into this country and destroys things that belong here well in my book it needs killing in any manner possible.

thanks gravity for posting a very important notice, public awareness is key to stopping non target animals being affected by baiting programs with our working dogs a muzzle is worn while baits are out and works fine if the dogs are in sight and kept to task.

"if something comes into this country and destroys things that belong here well in my book it needs killing in any manner possible."

Aussiefarmer do I understand correct from your statement that farm domestic animals BELONG here?!
cheers

Luke said:
"if something comes into this country and destroys things that belong here well in my book it needs killing in any manner possible."

Aussiefarmer do I understand correct from your statement that farm domestic animals BELONG here?!
cheers
Australia is a major primary producer.
Are you suggesting that industry or the animals involved don't belong here?
If you'd have been on farms with well managed working dogs then you'd realise how silly that comment is. Well managed working dogs don't go around destroying things.
On the other hand, in various areas, escaped "town" dogs, lost hunting dogs, feral wild dogs, foxes, domestic & feral cats are big problems to stock & native animals.

Leonora was one outback town (Not sure if it is still happening?) which offered FREE sterilisation for dogs in the area.
This is definitely one way to reduce the serious problem.
In all the years of prospecting have seen dingoes but never in a pack, usually loners, however on occasions have seen packs which were obviously descendants of suburban dogs.

Luke said:

cheers

Technically farm animals do not belong nor do humans, farm animals make it possible for us to to survive here and I am yet to see a sheep , cow or other farm animal kill a native animal.
Farming has made many Australian species thrive with reliable water sources and quality feed, 80% of farmers and farming operations are good for the environment and we are care takers of the land we hold and most of us are passionate about caring for and healing the land.
If we all get to soft and touchy feely about controlling pest species they will wipe out many small native animals and breed to plague numbers.

Gone are the days of ruthless killing of anything that moves and a new perspective has come over farmers of co existing with the native species.

Foxes and wild dogs are some of the cruellest killers in the bush , seeing animals maimed with chunks chewed off them walking around is sickening and waves any care factor on how painful of a death these ferals suffer to me.

Latest posts