Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
Man's best friend is sad :(

Man needs to look after his best friend, simple. Unfortunately some people don't look after their best friend and when their best friend takes one of these essential baits the responsible person sooks and carries on blaming anyone and everyone apart from the responsible person :| More often than not the responsible person doesn't live or make a living from the land and only hears or reads the devastation caused by wild dogs that came to be a problem by irresponsible responsible persons :beer:

RM Outback said:
Jaros said:

Man needs to look after his best friend, simple. Unfortunately some people don't look after their best friend and when their best friend takes one of these essential baits the responsible person sooks and carries on blaming anyone and everyone apart from the responsible person :| More often than not the responsible person doesn't live or make a living from the land and only hears or reads the devastation caused by wild dogs that came to be a problem by irresponsible responsible persons :beer:

Hi Rob , in some parts I agree with you But many of us bring our domestic dog mates along for maybe just a weekender when we go out detecting, Mans Best Friend Remember !
A domestic dog will just pickup and eat anything it finds just like they like to hang around camp and wait for scraps so yes I would feel very sad if my dog ate some of this poison bait.
I think that we as responsible dog owners should be informed where and when these baits are distributed so that we can be mindful of it's presence and take extra care when we bring our little friends along.

Gravity said:
RM Outback said:
Jaros said:

Hi Rob , in some parts I agree with you But many of us bring our domestic dog mates along for maybe just a weekender when we go out detecting, Mans Best Friend Remember !
A domestic dog will just pickup and eat anything it finds just like they like to hang around camp and wait for scraps so yes I would feel very sad if my dog ate some of this poison bait.
I think that we as responsible dog owners should be informed where and when these baits are distributed so that we can be mindful of it's presence and take extra care when we bring our little friends along.

True :Y: the smart thing to do when planning a trip with your best friend is to check the state bureaucracy website that looks after the area you intend to visit be it a weekender, day trip or extended stay. I've met your pooch, beautiful dog :perfect:

The facts are baiting needs to be done otherwise the wild dog population would get the upper hand and not only livestock would be at risk so would mans best friend and the owner themselves. I've seen the devastation first hand and believe me any mans pet pooch doesn't stand a chance.

Dog owners who want to take their best friend to the bush need to make themselves aware of any potential problems/hazards before they set off. You can liken it to everyone (people who care) checking websites and seeking updates regarding covid and their intended travel locations. The state bureaucracy website will provide up-to-date information regarding baiting and control measures and methods, it's their responsibility to ensure this information is accurate and available so any responsible pet/dog owner can make an informed decision.

Thanks Rob very true, It was only by chance that I spotted the notice and so thought to post it, I,m unaware of bait traps in the GT ( I'm sure there ) but now definitely something to be mindful of.

Cheers mate see ya next weekend :beer: :beer:

Gravity said:
Thanks Rob very true, It was only by chance that I spotted the notice and so thought to post it, I,m unaware of bait traps in the GT ( I'm sure there ) but now definitely something to be mindful of.

I take it Gravity that you do know the notice you posted was for WA. 1080 is used in most states. The best thing to do if you are going out to pastoral leases is to ask the manager/owners about baits and also if they allow you to bring your best friend.

I used to like taking my mate Jack out detecting also.
1614418906_jackandhispatch.jpg

Jack sitting on his patch.

Cheers

Doug

Gravity said:

I wish I could make it but it's not to be unfortunately. All good we can arrange another one :beer: I dropped the trailer off yesterday, Larry came with me we camped at Amherst but no gold. You will all have a great time no doubt about it.

Rockhunter62 said:
Moneybox said:
I don't think the native dog does much damage. The problem has been created by the farmer's dogs breeding with wild dogs.

Now how did the wild dogs get out there? This is an age old argument that pops up every time someone puts up warnings of 1080 baiting.

It's simple, don't take your dog out bush unless you accept that it will eat a bait and die. They need controlling.

Cheers

Doug

Seriously guys, these its the farmers dogs or its how did the dogs get there? Is showing how out of touch most people are.
Visit a remote community and see for your self.
Plenty of saggy titted bitches wandering the streets of these places. Thats how they get there. Not desexed or disciplined, these dogs do as they please, its getting better, but vets sometimes only visit these remote places once a year if ever at all. Wild dogs are bloody everywhere up these end of the world.

Rockhunter62 said:
Gravity said:

I take it Gravity that you do know the notice you posted was for WA. 1080 is used in most states. The best thing to do if you are going out to pastoral leases is to ask the manager/owners about baits and also if they allow you to bring your best friend.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7504/1614418906_jackandhispatch.jpg

Cheers

Doug

Absolutely Rockhunter and Davent , must admit not aware it's a big problem up your way, again only posted to make people aware these baits are there as I'm sure we have them in the GT.
P.S great shot with the Koala in the tree :Y:

Gravity said:
Rockhunter62 said:
Gravity said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7504/1614418906_jackandhispatch.jpg

Cheers

Doug

Absolutely Rockhunter and Davent , must admit not aware it's a big problem up your way, again only posted to make people aware these baits are there as I'm sure we have them in the GT.
P.S great shot with the Koala in the tree :Y:

I forgot that Larry (the lemur) was in the tree.? he used to get up to a lot of trouble.

Cheers

Doug

I would be more than happy to control wild dog numbers if a bounty was put on them in WA. Our government has gone soft. As far as I am aware there are no longer government dogers operating in WA.

HaHa... I guess I shouldn't have singled out the farmers. From where I grew up it was most certainly farmers dogs that were running wild in packs because there were enough witnesses and the dogs would go home after the event. I know different regions have different problems and most of us would have witnessed the stray dogs running wild from indigenous communities and that might be a hard one to sort out.

What I was trying to say is that the dingo isn't the biggest problem out there.

only yesterday when out foxing I saw identical signs up NE Victoria, so could be a state wide campaign on the go. Baits are generally buried so keep your eyes out particularly if your dog starts digging! Maybe muzzle your dogs

While on the subject of pest control, I'm bewildered why they're so hell bent on eradicating rabbits but not so much the fox, taking rabbits out of the picture before foxes leaves the fox nothing but natives to survive on.. ludicrous.

shakergt said:
I would be more than happy to control wild dog numbers if a bounty was put on them in WA. Our government has gone soft. As far as I am aware there are no longer government dogers operating in WA.

The GNRBA still have doggers operating but with only limited funds there are only a couple that I know of.

Cheers

Doug

Moneybox said:
HaHa... I guess I shouldn't have singled out the farmers. From where I grew up it was most certainly farmers dogs that were running wild in packs because there were enough witnesses and the dogs would go home after the event. I know different regions have different problems and most of us would have witnessed the stray dogs running wild from indigenous communities and that might be a hard one to sort out.

What I was trying to say is that the dingo isn't the biggest problem out there.

Have noticed quite a few dingos around atm actually, and they have all been very very skinny dogs. Which is why I have probably been noticing them, they are moving closer to built up areas for a feed I suspect. This has been in multiple places to, not just one area. I almost stopped and picked up a pup on the way home from work the other day, by himself, on the road, looked confused and very hungry!

Rockhunter62 said:
shakergt said:

The GNRBA still have doggers operating but with only limited funds there are only a couple that I know of.

Cheers

Doug

I did not know that Doug. I probably should considering the GNRBA opperate in parts of my local area. I dont know how far along the dog fence is off being compleated around the Esperance shire but I hope its soon. I know of many farmers who dont have livestock anymore due to the wild dog issue. Last time i was out in the NE part of the shire in the crown land dog tracks could be seen all over the place.

I watched a 4 corners program once showing the big fluffy companion dogs that ran with the herd to ward off dog attacks. Seemed like a great way to sort the problem out without poisonous baits. It most likely wouldn't work in the west where the stock are spread very thinly across the land.

Moneybox said:
I watched a 4 corners program once showing the big fluffy companion dogs that ran with the herd to ward off dog attacks. Seemed like a great way to sort the problem out without poisonous baits. It most likely wouldn't work in the west where the stock are spread very thinly across the land.

Probably Maremma Sheepdogs, also used to protect penguins on an island off Victoria from foxes and intruders.
1614474237_d877c968-b416-482d-aa9b-0cc1f096b4ed.jpg

Latest posts