⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of Windeyer Wonder...............................

Only 1/2 a gram for a 3 hour session but worth it!

1400757515_windeyer_wonder.jpg

Didn't actually wash any dirt , just added water and gold appeared from all the rust pits. Lol
Any body make stainless pans.

Hi Chrisooo, welcome

You might want to upgrade to a plastic pan....but on second thought....if I had a steel pan that produced gold I would hang on to it :D :D

Cheers,
Matt

20140522_174155_zps0ab5b242.jpg

1.28 grams from one day with my trommel build.... was only passing through town from kids basketball but persuaded them to do a bit of digging :D

I did a full days digging at Nundle for .2gram, wish I had pulled 1.28grams 8). Nice work mate.

Better late than never. Heres the result of my two foray's so far, the first pic is the result of my test panning at Nundle over easter weekend. Spent a fair bit of time just scouting out the area. Next pic is from a quick stopover at Tuena, while I was enroute to Muttama to see my folks on mothersday weekend. Only spent an hour on the bank below the camp area trying out my new AM explorer sluice I picked up in Mudgee. Total so far 0.07gms

1400845669_nundle.jpg

1400845693_tuena.jpg

Hopefully next venture will be back to Nundle to continual where I left off on Qbday weekend :)

Cheers Stu

Thanks. A friend who lives in Wellington is doing some ground work over the winter while I do most of the research, so we are ready for when the weather warms up.
Stu

This is from a 10 litre bucket so I am pretty happy will go back there next week end and dig my heart out :/
1400933182_image.jpg

Hey Chrisoo,

You really need to season or blue your steel pan. A rusty pan is not good and most old timers used to oil the steel pans to keep the rust away but because oil and gold in a pan dont get along well with the fine gold floating out of pan due to oil disrupting surface tension of water the would season them before they used them.

The most common procedure was to put your gold pan into a fire, hardwood not pine as the pine oil would just add more oil, this changed the colour of the steel or blued the pan and would burn off any oily contents on the pan. After the heat treatment, some would also roughen the
surface in different spots inside their pan in various ways.

Once they were done for the day they would oil up the pan again to stop it from rusting.

The americans used to use metal pie tins for their gold pan so they were cooking utensils for them as well as gold pans. They still seasoned them in fire like this though.

With most pans being plastic these days you still need to season them but just dont go throwing them on a fire to do it. :D

The pan you have is the same as the ones they used at Gypmie in the 1800's with the single riffle band at the top. I've got the same pan just not as rusty. :lol:

Regards,

Grant

Thanks gcause,
I have a plastic garret set but prefer the steel for some reason.
Would love a stainless version .
Just picked up a blue bowl after 2 failed diy attempts and really not impressed. Looks like the pans will be getting a work out cutting down the cons.

Yeah I looked at making a blue bowl myself but after watching how long they take to process the material on YouTube I gave that away. You can process fine gold way quicker with just a pan and a snuffer bottle.

Didn't think this was thread worthy so here it it. my first bits of colour! Just picked up the basic equipment on saturday, got some buckets of material from an old dried up creek bed near Talbot, only yielding one speck. Got 1/2 a bucket closer to home and got a speck every pan. Then with only a few hours before I had to jump in the car and get to the airport I spent a few minutes panning a nearby creek with multiple specks per pan. On my second pan I was breaking up a clump of mud with my hands and spotted the picker sitting right there! Most likely 0.0something of a gram, but I'm pretty happy with myself for my first ever day panning. (at least since I was a kid).

10253918_666347600085147_7608090470185235404_n.jpg

10390037_666347630085144_5469482896250808589_n.jpg

ched66 said:
My first find with the new 5000, needs a good cleanup though. I think there may be more yella stuff under the ironstone. Any suggestions as to how to clean it up without spoiling the look of the quartz? I don't want to stuff it up......... :rolleyes:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/848/1399938977_2014-05-12_13.09.18.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/848/1399938977_2014-05-12_13.09.40.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/848/1399938977_2014-05-12_13.14.45.jpg

Well I put it in some hydrochloric acid yesterday after much research and deliberation, it has already exposed more yella that was hiding under the ironstone. Will post a pic when it's finished. Still on holidays me and the mate are off to the GT Thursday to scratch the gold itch....... :D

Latest posts