⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi ho silver
1401876468_2014-06-04_20.06.44.jpg

Silver oxidises rapidly, I m assuming it is recovered very similarly to gold, however pure silver will oxidise, hence having to add an alloy. Ironically, I am finding sphalerite alongside it. As I go into my degree and do metallurgy and processing hopefully I will be able to figure it out. Extremely high heat is needed such as in a kiln, upwards of 2000 degrees Celsius to avoid oxidising it.

Weight it, crush and pan, reweigh, determine rough grade. As well as composition, can't your geo professors help or is that part of the game throwing it back at you to do your research and experimentation

what acid did you use? and generally acid leaching of native elements is only used to extract the non visible atoms. so would not recommend playing with acid unless you have the right equipment to process it. What are you studying and where?

Hey GC, looks like you've been out having fun again. You sure these specimens are not Arsenopyrite? Scratch and sniff and see if it has a Garlic type odour.

Field test for Silver ore. Nitric acid will dissiolve Silver, HCL will make it precipitate from solution. Copper will do the same only you don't need the HCL only Nitric.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8717909_test-silver-ore.html

You can buy Gold test kits too. They consist of I think, Nitric acid, HCL and Stannous Chloride which turns Purple with the most minute traces of Gold in solution.

Not too much of a worry doing small test experiments if you are careful, I wouldn't attempt anything bigger than a small test though.

Heatho said:
Hey GC, looks like you've been out having fun again. You sure these specimens are not Arsenopyrite? Scratch and sniff and see if it has a Garlic type odour.

Field test for Silver ore. Nitric acid will dissiolve Silver, HCL will make it precipitate from solution. Copper will do the same only you don't need the HCL only Nitric.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8717909_test-silver-ore.html

You can buy Gold test kits too. They consist of I think, Nitric acid, HCL and Stannous Chloride which turns Purple with the most minute traces of Gold in solution.

Not too much of a worry doing small test experiments if you are careful, I wouldn't attempt anything bigger than a small test though.

No smells. Will purchase a field test kit!

Alluvial Show n Tell!

A recent trip to Windeyer and Hargraves.

High banking and panning solo. A lot of hard work and reaching my physical limits each day for 3 days.

Only 1 gm for days 1 and 2, still have to pan day 3 concentrate.

Also in the concentrate was 1 red zircon and one blue sapphire, bizarre as I have never seen them gems come from this area. No other traces of gems, not even tiny ones in the bottom of the gold pan!

Me needs to find a richer source or another location.

1402043131_imag1243-optimized.jpg

1402043344_imag1248-optimized.jpg

1402043371_imag1252-optimized.jpg

Livin the dream!!!!!!!!!!!

1402043349_img_20140606_182254.jpg

First pan for the day
1402043417_img_20140606_182327.jpg

Four pans in before i got highbanking

Met some new people out today, that's what's great about prospecting, it brings people together, even beter when the day has a gold lining. Upstream from me three bloke got a nice little picker and in the dying light i hit some stuff with some body to it. It might be a small thing but I love the feeling, and just goes to show there's no such thing as a flogged area if you're prepared to dig. I'll be heading back next week if anyone wants to join in.

First run with the walbanker today at Eldorado I only ran for a few hours I think some more tweaking is needed found this under a log in some very sticky clay my spray bar would not brake it up I think the cuts are not wide enough will fix for the next outing, overall I am happy with the result also angle and flow rates to play around with maybe?
1402229941_img_2623-optimized.jpg
1402229963_img_2624-optimized.jpg

Latest posts