Hunting for "REEF" Gold....an approach for beginners.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we all know once we take the gold it's gone. Mrs M is always tempted to go where she's been told others found gold. I keep telling her "You are wasting your time. They didn't just find it, they took it".

Growing.jpg

This might be an example of gold coming back. All these little sharp ridges are quartz with a thin coating of brown rock. I've seen this before but never stopped to study it, this time I did. The quartz is growing from a freshly scraped area, how fresh I have no idea, perhaps ten or fifteen years but the machinery tracks are still visible in the surface of the scraped ground and yet the ridges of quartz are in some cases over 300mm in height.

This is in a rich goldfield where we often play. They obviously took the gold but I believe it's trying to come back 😎

As we all know once we take the gold it's gone. Mrs M is always tempted to go where she's been told others found gold. I keep telling her "You are wasting your time. They didn't just find it, they took it".

View attachment 5121

This might be an example of gold coming back. All these little sharp ridges are quartz with a thin coating of brown rock. I've seen this before but never stopped to study it, this time I did. The quartz is growing from a freshly scraped area, how fresh I have no idea, perhaps ten or fifteen years but the machinery tracks are still visible in the surface of the scraped ground and yet the ridges of quartz are in some cases over 300mm in height.

This is in a rich goldfield where we often play. They obviously took the gold but I believe it's trying to come back 😎

Quartz takes an awful long time to form and certainly wouldn't form in the time frame we are looking at here. The area was surfaced and erosion from large amounts of rain / wind is what has caused those sharp ridges to protrude like they have done. That quartz has always been there and is certainly worth detecting if the ground previously produced gold.

Last edited:
Quartz takes an awful long time to form and certainly wouldn't form in the time frame we are looking at here. The area was surfaced and erosion from large amounts of rain is what has caused those sharp ridges to protrude like they have done. That quartz has always been there and is certainly worth detecting if the ground previously produced gold.

I disagree Wal. If significant erosion occurred then the machinery track marks would have gone as well. As far as I can tell the quartz is not reforming here but is being forced out of the ground by some sort of geological event down below. I've come across these before while travelling down the scrapings nearby where they've cleared tracks for drill rigs. Tyre prints are still visible with new rock penetrating the surface in a way that no blade could have passed over it.

I disagree Wal. If significant erosion occurred then the machinery track marks would have gone as well. As far as I can tell the quartz is not reforming here but is being forced out of the ground by some sort of geological event down below. I've come across these before while travelling down the scrapings nearby where they've cleared tracks for drill rigs. Tyre prints are still visible with new rock penetrating the surface in a way that no blade could have passed over it.
If you run a large dozer in soft ground the tracks can be quite deep, and to an extent erosion will also deepen those tracks to a degree. If there was a "geological event" happening down below it would not be pushing thin slithers at the surface but extensive activity such as folding would have to be happening, and this takes millennia. You would certainly know it if a major geological event was happening and I wouldn't want to be there if that was the case. I could be wrong and maybe someone like Goldie could put another explanation to the event you have there.

View attachment 5121

Not growing back - wind blowing surrounding material away...

GENERAL COMMENT ON QUARTZ "REEFS" (VEINS)
Just a general comment about what I have found to be a common misconception. I often see people refer to quartz "intrusions" and commonly it appears to be that they see quartz as some sort of plastic or "gooey" thick fluid that "Intrudes" the surrounding rocks. That is never the case.
What you see now as a quartz vein was typically some sort of fracture in the rock, through which hot water was pumping. It was as thin as tap water but a lot hotter (most commonly 200 to 350 degrees Celsius for the fluids that deposit gold). It could be salty or very dilute (eg over 30% dissolved salt in some Cloncurry and Gawler region deposits. more like 6-8% dissolved salt in much of Victoria and NSW and the eastern Goldfields region of WA). For comparison, sea water is 3% salt. Often just good old sodium chloride that you put on your fish and chips. And it was commonly under significant pressure. It would commonly stink of sulphur in many cases. It would be 5-10 km below surface in some cases where it deposited its dissolved silica as quartz, only a few hundred metres below surface in others. The geysers and hot springs we see at surface in north island NZ are a surface manifestation of one type of such fluids that reach surface, usually boiling as they reach the shallow (low pressure) environment close to surface. The "sinters" and silica terraces that we see around hot springs mostly consist of silica (fine-grained quartz or opal - coarse quartz crystals usually only crystallize at greater depth).

The fracture might start off very narrow - the hot water comes pumping in and quartz (with or without gold) gets deposited on the walls of the fracture. Sometimes its interior between the quartz on its walls could be an open space through which much fluid was pumping towards surface (often resulting in "blows"), but in many cases the first lot of quartz that crystallized would seal the fracture, and the fracture would split open again because of another pulse of hot water trying to find its way to shallow depth through the same fracture - and it is easier to break an existing fracture open again rather than to create a completely new fracture. .

So quartz veins are not solidified toothpaste - they are solid deposits that precipitate mostly on the walls of fractures from hot water. Why are they white when most single perfect quartz crystals we see are transparent? Usuaaly because of all the tiny fluid and gas bubbles trapped in the quartz as it solidified, and because of fracturing that occurred later. Why are some black? Usually radiation damage from tiny amounts of uranium trapped in the fluid, or oil.

In general all quartz veins in one area formed at much the same time (there are exceptions but they are rare in, say the central Victorian goldfields)). Looking for different "types" of quartz in an area is usually fruitless in such areas because they all have equal opportunity to contain gold. However iron-staining of quartz within an area may indicate more chance of gold than pure white quartz of the type seen in big quartz blows. Why? Because gold often occurs with other sulphide minerals (pyrite, arsenopyrite, stibnite and copper, lead and zinc sulphides). These other sulphides weather near surface to iron oxides that stain or encrust the quartz. This is commonly the only way in which looking for one "type" of quartz rather than another can be fruitful.

There are chemical reasons for all of these things, for anyone interested. Gold does not dissolve in pure water, it has to attach itself to sulphur or chlorine for the water to transport much gold, and then usually only at elevated temperatures. Gold is often deposited each time a fracture breaks open (sudden pressure release that causes the gold to detach from the chlorine or sulphur that is transporting it in the hot water). Gold rarely deposits in large quantities in wide open fractures through which the hot water can continue to pump continuously (instead only quartz will dump out to form quartz blow but without much gold). A slight drop in temperature is sufficient to cause quartz to crytallize out, and temperatures in such water-filled fractures tend to decrease upwards towards surface). Gold prefers to occur on the margins of veins where things like carbon-rich or iron-rich wallrocks help deposit the gold (most people know that graphitic slate or ironstone or magnetite-rich dykes are often a good wallrock for gold deposits). Also, refracturing and pressure drop will usually occur along the margins of a vein, not in its centre, the edge of a vein in contact with wallrock is a better zone of weakness than the centre of a quartz blow, so re-fracturing occurs there..

Last edited:
GENERAL COMMENT ON QUARTZ "REEFS" (VEINS)
Just a general comment about what I have found to be a common misconception. I often see people refer to quartz "intrusions" and commonly it appears to be that they see quartz as some sort of plastic or "gooey" thick fluid that "Intrudes" the surrounding rocks. That is never the case.
What you see now as a quartz vein was typically some sort of fracture in the rock, through which hot water was pumping. It was as thin as tap water but a lot hotter (most commonly 200 to 350 degrees Celsius for the fluids that deposit gold). It could be salty or very dilute (eg over 30% dissolved salt in some Cloncurry and Gawler region deposits. more like 6-8% dissolved salt in much of Victoria and NSW and the eastern Goldfields region of WA). For comparison, sea water is 3% salt. Often just good old sodium chloride that you put on your fish and chips. And it was commonly under significant pressure. It would commonly stink of sulphur in many cases. It would be 5-10 km below surface in some cases where it deposited its dissolved silica as quartz, only a few hundred metres below surface in others. The geysers and hot springs we see at surface in north island NZ are a surface manifestation of one type of such fluids that reach surface, usually boiling as they reach the shallow (low pressure) environment close to surface. The "sinters" and silica terraces that we see around hot springs mostly consist of silica (fine-grained quartz or opal - coarse quartz crystals usually only crystallize at greater depth).

The fracture might start off very narrow - the hot water comes pumping in and quartz (with or without gold) gets deposited on the walls of the fracture. Sometimes its interior between the quartz on its walls could be an open space through which much fluid was pumping towards surface (often resulting in "blows"), but in many cases the first lot of quartz that crystallized would seal the fracture, and the fracture would split open again because of another pulse of hot water trying to find its way to shallow depth through the same fracture - and it is easier to break an existing fracture open again rather than to create a completely new fracture. .

So quartz veins are not solidified toothpaste - they are solid deposits that precipitate mostly on the walls of fractures from hot water. Why are they white when most single perfect quartz crystals we see are transparent? Usuaaly because of all the tiny fluid and gas bubbles trapped in the quartz as it solidified, and because of fracturing that occurred later. Why are some black? Usually radiation damage from tiny amounts of uranium trapped in the fluid, or oil.

In general all quartz veins in one area formed at much the same time (there are exceptions but they are rare in, say the central Victorian goldfields)). Looking for different "types" of quartz in an area is usually fruitless in such areas because they all have equal opportunity to contain gold. However iron-staining of quartz within an area may indicate more chance of gold than pure white quartz of the type seen in big quartz blows. Why? Because gold often occurs with other sulphide minerals (pyrite, arsenopyrite, stibnite and copper, lead and zinc sulphides). These other sulphides weather near surface to iron oxides that stain or encrust the quartz. This is commonly the only way in which looking for one "type" of quartz rather than another can be fruitful.

There are chemical reasons for all of these things, for anyone interested. Gold does not dissolve in pure water, it has to attach itself to sulphur or chlorine for the water to transport much gold, and then usually only at elevated temperatures. Gold is often deposited each time a fracture breaks open (sudden pressure release that causes the gold to detach from the chlorine or sulphur that is transporting it in the hot water). Gold rarely deposits in large quantities in wide open fractures through which the hot water can continue to pump continuously (instead only quartz will dump out to form quartz blow but without much gold). A slight drop in temperature is sufficient to cause quartz to crytallize out, and temperatures in such water-filled fractures tend to decrease upwards towards surface). Gold prefers to occur on the margins of veins where things like carbon-rich or iron-rich wallrocks help deposit the gold (most people know that graphitic slate or ironstone or magnetite-rich dykes are often a good wallrock for gold deposits). Also, refracturing and pressure drop will usually occur along the margins of a vein, not in its centre, the edge of a vein in contact with wallrock is a better zone of weakness than the centre of a quartz blow, so re-fracturing occurs there..

A very comprehensive look at the most common mineral on the planet Goldie. Well explained and of interest to all who see it on the fields in its various forms. Also useful for the gem hunters looking for clear crystals or mineral rich varieties such as Amethyst, Citrine and Green quartz sought after for faceting.

A very comprehensive look at the most common mineral on the planet Goldie. Well explained and of interest to all who see it on the fields in its various forms. Also useful for the gem hunters looking for clear crystals or mineral rich varieties such as Amethyst, Citrine and Green quartz sought after for faceting.
Thanks. Of course the hunters of the gem forms should often be looking within coarse-grained granites for crystals, formed at even higher temperatures, that cooled slowly and had time to grow coarse crystals. Or in high-grade metamorphic rocks formed at higher temperatures at greater depths. Often above 500 degrees Celsius.

Thanks. Of course the hunters of the gem forms should often be looking within coarse-grained granites for crystals, formed at even higher temperatures, that cooled slowly and had time to grow coarse crystals. Or in high-grade metamorphic rocks formed at higher temperatures at greater depths. Often above 500 degrees Celsius.

Agreed goldie, and also the formation of geodes and vugs within these temp ranges.

All good info, I am in WA so some of it doesn't apply up where I am, but, I would recommend a book written by one of my brother-in-law's grand father called " loaming for gold" it is a very good reed and has the principle of how this old fella found many mines here inWA in the early days

Reef gold is worth the time and are sometimes quite shallows only the last on was 19" deep the rest were shallow.
26+ ounces of specimens from the same reef, the solid nugget 4 oz found at another reef. These ones were from Maryborough Vic.

View attachment 4863
The following were found in West Aust. within 100 km of Leonora WA.
Well over 20 Ounces. The large one had about 17 oz from 113 Oz specimen. The centre right hand size yield 4 Oz.
View attachment 4864
Some miscellaneous Specimen
View attachment 4865
A lot of gold nuggets and bit were found in the same vicinity, after weeks of gridding the area.
Hi.You said 19" down for one of the nuggets. Was that with a detector or you dug down into the reef and then used a detector. Was the reef visible or you found signs of it around ie mineralized quartz, iron stone etc and dug down? Amazing this kind of gold can be still found. I still don't really understand how to find or where to look for these so called reefs. I just find the old diggings and wander around really looking for quartz, iron stone and conglomerate. Found these 5 tiny pieces (3sqm area) on a small rise with exposed ironstone up hill from the main diggings. A few diggings in vicinty on the rise which is why I got the detector. Wondering if I should i dig down a foot or so and sample some spots in same spot I found these. Cheers221023_Row 0.27.jpg

Hi.You said 19" down for one of the nuggets. Was that with a detector or you dug down into the reef and then used a detector. Was the reef visible or you found signs of it around ie mineralized quartz, iron stone etc and dug down? Amazing this kind of gold can be still found. I still don't really understand how to find or where to look for these so called reefs. I just find the old diggings and wander around really looking for quartz, iron stone and conglomerate. Found these 5 tiny pieces (3sqm area) on a small rise with exposed ironstone up hill from the main diggings. A few diggings in vicinty on the rise which is why I got the detector. Wondering if I should i dig down a foot or so and sample some spots in same spot I found these. CheersView attachment 5451
This was back in the early 1980s and was found with a Garret ADS Deepseeker VLF. The specimen had 5 ounces of gold, it is the last specimen on the right. My wife and friend tested the signal. The wife said she could hear a slight variation of threshold with her Whites 6000 but would not of dug it. The mate had a Bounty hunter Red Baron with a 10" coil and could not pick it up at all. I was sure there was more gold at the spot as I got 19 oz in the morning and went back to get the wife and mates to hit the spot in the afternoon to get the rest. The others got additional ¾ of an oz between them.

All good info, I am in WA so some of it doesn't apply up where I am, but, I would recommend a book written by one of my brother-in-law's grand father called " loaming for gold" it is a very good reed and has the principle of how this old fella found many mines here inWA in the early days
Sam Cash? One of my first gold books as a teenager. I started with Ion Idriess and moved on to Cash.

Great thread Wal
Geology is endless and as the topic is for beginners have you touched on the size,mineralisation and colour of the quartz in areas?
When we pull up to areas these days we can usually tell if it's worthwhile or not by the texture,colour and size of the quartz if chasing reefs.
That's priority for us,also i couldn't agree more you don't need to be in WA or Vic,look outside the square,two of us walked over this about 12-13 yrs ago in nsw,a weathered down reef 10-12klms from the nearest gold being found,a bit over 70ozs of nuggets and specimens.
We've had great success on the reefs the last couple of years in wa also,im not exactly sure why but i guess it's a combination of knowledge and persistence,maybe a bit did sink in over the years 😂

View attachment 4861
This has been one of the most informative threads I’ve read and appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge.You mentioned the types of quartz you look out for,I spend most of my time in the gold fields picking it up and looking at it after getting bored with digging up mining artifacts and bullets of all sizes.Do you have any pictures of the types sizes etc of quartz you consider to be worthwhile indicators?
Thanks in advance

I agree with you Andrew 1, this has been an epic educational experience especially from user 4386 and WalnLiz. Thanks guys, in one page you’ve taught me a whole heap of stuff about things I’ve walked around/over, picked up and looked at cluelessly then tossed and areas that I certainly should go back to and have a second scratch at. Trouble is most of those places I don’t really remember very well. I was new to the country and was being driven everywhere. Suck excuses I know. That was over quarter of a century ago. :(
I remember a time finding smokey quartz crystals, perfectly formed crystals, that my hand didn’t go right around, beautiful actually, and my mate who knew everything “fossicking”, saying they were rubbish, not worth anything and tossing them. What can I say, I was new to it all lol. This forum has really taught me a lot. Thank you for your time and sharing, appreciated.

Latest posts