Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it can be done on the TDI pro but before you finish up Karl try discriminating junk by turning the ground balance back to 4-5 now over a target when you lift the coil an inch or so a trash target will disappear a good target will have a sweet tone' low tones being silvers or copper. Dropping the GB back like this you will have to maintain a consistent coil height from the ground to stop falsing.
Good luck Karl I can't wait for another morning out.

I could not get to the park in the morning so done few test in my backyard. As mentioned by Phase Tech the threshold potentiometer is fiddly to fine adjust and should be about half of its value. The trick with backing ground balance to discriminate target works, but it is bit difficult to hold coil at constant height.
I don't like MONO coil, give me DD coil any time. With DD coil I know exactly when I passed over the target, but with Mono I only get indication that the target is somewhere around, but not exact location. When I recover financially from this purchase I think I will look for suitable DD coil. The X-terra with 6" DD coil is more sensitive on small lead and jewelry gold pieces then SPP with 7.5" MONO coil. Although SPP pick targets about 5cm deeper.
The difference in ground balance off and on is around 4 cm depth. I didn't get any EMI problems so frequently knob stayed in default position . Weather permitting I'm going this Saturday to Oberon to test SPP under real conditions . I have not found any gold the with X-terra so I will see if I do better with this one,
Karl

Karl' I got a bit eBay happy a while ago and sold all my DD coils otherwise I would have sent you one to try' iv got my eyes on a coiltek platypus DD (water proof) just as it will pin point better and I won't have to worry about the dew getting into it from the wet grass & on the beach (one day). The coil I'm using ATM is the 14x9 coiltek blitz very happy with the coil and sensitive on 0.1 grammers. If you come onto a target from all sides that will give you an indication within a few inches of where to probe.

Today I tried to fit the FM transmitter that I'm using on X-terra to SPP so I can use earphones wireslessly.. No go, because SPP doesn't have a volume control, the signal was too high resulting in distorted sound. Easy to fix your using two resistors soldered inside the 1/4" plug. But then it would not work on X-terra. So I have ordered another FM transmitter from UK. I will let you know if it work when ni receive new transmitter
Karl

Went to Oberon to day. New SPP is working well, but operator (me) is bit silly. I have to remember that this is PI machine and not VLF X-TERRA. The place I have selected to do testing is small creek where aluvial gold was first discovered in 1868. The aluvial flats has been worked over many times and every one who dug there left bit of metal behind. So I dug out assortment of various metal junk in first hour but no gold. There was signal every couple feet. After hour I gave up and went to the pine forest above then creek where I just could make up outlines of some old diggings. Target signals diminished a lot, but I expected that, because the ground was covered with pine needles and humus to the 5 to 10 cm. I have recovered some wonderful treasure, such as half of 3/8" chain link at 14", big horse shoe at 11", .22 bullet at 6" and assortment of spend brass cartridges. Curiously SPP ground balanced at default setting around the creek and in the forest too. The batteries were getting low, so I gave up on detecting and tried pan around the creek. In third hole I paned out longish picker and few smaller grains of gold and two very small sapphire chips. So I got three buckets of wash from that hole to pan at home.
My new detector works well. I have gain three quarters way up at times and I did not experienced any falsing. The 1.6 Volts rechargable NiZn batteries doesn't last very long, maybe two and half hours. I did learn bit about advantages and limitations of my new detector.
Karl

downhalo said:
Battery life is a bit sad... but other than that sounds good..

That was with new type NiZn rechargable batteries that give 1.6V against NiMh supplied with detector that have only 1.2 Volts. From what I have read on various forums, SPP can operate with up to 15V battery pack . I believe that with NiMh batteries it will run over 4 hours. Have to try it out yet.
Karl

mbasko said:
Supposed to be a minimum of 4hrs with the NiMh. Wonder if the lithium battery for the TDI suits the SPP? Should do?

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/tdi-liion-battery.html
14.4v 6.8ah - up to 10hrs running time (claimed)

Voltage should be OK, it would give bit more depth. But it wouldn't fit inside of battery compartment. One of battery boxes could be modified and lithium pack would have to be carried in some sort of pouch on the belt. Or maybe it could be attached with velcro under the control box
Karl

HP2900 mAh Li-ion Batt Pack apparently is the hottest aftermarket batt for whites ATM.
I think you can only get them from kellyco.

I went to Oberon on Saturday. Found about dozen .22 bullets, brass cartridges and assorted junk. Up to now I did most of detecting in the parks with XTERRA for the coins and odd pieces of jewelry. I have done very well in last ten months. That is why I could afford new SPP. But PI machine is something new to me and I'm still learning. There is some gold in the creek I was detecting. I had 1 to 5 flakes in the test pan from few locations so I hope there are bigger pieces as well. But in about 6 hours detecting with SPP I did not found any gold. I'm really hanging out for the coil cover. I believe it got closed bottom, open coil is difficult to use in this place. So far I'm very happy with SPP. It is easy to use machine, but it eats NiZn batteries for breakfast. They last only about one and half hours. The supplied NiMh I did not use for very long so I don't know how long they going to last. I'm bit suspicious of low batt. warning light. I got feeling it does not distinguish between 9.6 or 12.8 V battery pack and comes on at some set voltage . If and when I get first nugget with it, i will let you know.
Karl

Sounds like a fun machine, That battery life worries me, I'd hate to blow $1195 on something i can only use for a couple hours..

Maybe I'll hold off for a while.. wait for some more updates lol.

Downhalo, that one and half hours is with new type of rechargable batteries Nickel Zinc. The advantage is that you get 1.6V per cell. But it looks like they don't have same capacity as NiMh. So it's hard to judge power consumption of SPP based on NiZn batteries.
Karl

I have ordered 4 Li-ion and charger for China. They claim to be 6000 mAh. Well, I don't hold my breath, but they were cheap and I needed Li-ion charger anyway.
Karl

Just ordered a new SPP this afternoon. Was tossing up between the SPP and TDI Pro Oz. I figured the best thing I could do was phone and talk to the dealers. Roughly explained where I would be detecting and the expected finds and the gentleman on the end of the line at GoldSearch highly recommended the SPP over the TDI. Was I surprised? Yes. Recommended a machine that was half the price of the other I was looking at. Readily explained the advantages and the bang for buck the SPP gives. I take my hat off to GoldSearch for their honest and up front business ethics, they could have just sold me the TDI for twice the price. However they gave me an open and experienced recommendation that saved me a few dollars that I may not need to spend. Those few dollars have given them a customer for life. Good to find a business doing the right thing by their customers. Thanks GoldSearch, will be stalking the post office for the next few days. If you are unsure which of these detectors to buy I highly recommend you give the dealer a call and chat to them. They were very friendly and in no way in a hurry to get me off the phone. As you can probably tell I cannot praise them enough. Polite, honest and professional. What more could you ask for? Will let you know how the SPP goes after the weekend. :cool:

What all of us want to know is how good is the SPP when compared with the older Minelabs using same coil ?
Is it better then a SD2100 or not ?

Wish somebody could start a business to do real tests on every new detector released , I'd pay $10 to get the truth :lol:

Latest posts