GPX 5000 set ups

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys any latest set ups ( tuning ) for the 5000 ?

had all the minelabs just not a 5000 just bought one with a few Nuggett finder coils

Regards

Wayne

For human reasons just about every detector operator feels they can improve on what Minelab have suggested with their factory settings. I would suggest start from there and practice on known targets to see what settings you can get away with.
As you would no doubt be aware, identifying a target signal when searching is a different beast to hearing a target when you know it’s there.
You will then need to identify two lots of settings. A less aggressive group for general searching (around default setting levels), and a more aggressive group of your own for intensely detecting known nugget producing ground. You can retain them in as custom settings.
Good luck it’s a great machine and make sure you have coils to suit. A large, medium and small. The latter (an 8” or 9”) is often overlooked in the 5000 armory but complements the 5000’s improved small gold performance over previous machines very well.

For human reasons just about every detector operator feels they can improve on what Minelab have suggested with their factory settings. I would suggest start from there and practice on known targets to see what settings you can get away with.
As you would no doubt be aware, identifying a target signal when searching is a different beast to hearing a target when you know it’s there.
You will then need to identify two lots of settings. A less aggressive group for general searching (around default setting levels), and a more aggressive group of your own for intensely detecting known nugget producing ground. You can retain them in as custom settings.
Good luck it’s a great machine and make sure you have coils to suit. A large, medium and small. The latter (an 8” or 9”) is often overlooked in the 5000 armory but complements the 5000’s improved small gold performance over previous machines very well.
Just adding to my comments about having a small coil to take advantage of the 5000’s improved small gold performance. Don’t go too small as you don’t want to be in competition with a 2300.
An 8” to 9” round seems to be able to detect nuggets in that mid range depth below what a 2300 can detect and above what a medium coil is sensitive enough for.

Although i have been able to pickup 0.02g pieces with my 17x13 coil, sacrificing Rx for higher stablizer on gpx5000 and still can hear deeper targets. Going with a slow pace swing really helps lift a targets response than opposed to fast swinging of coil over ground. I don't really see the point of a small coil unless its a weight issue with bigger coils. Each to their own I guess.

Latest posts