whites spp vs whites tdi sl

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi... so... i have a whites spp, and i know that the board is the same of the whites tdi sl. i have a oportunity to buy one whites tdi sl for 1000€, does it worth change from the whites spp to the whites tdi sl? i want to use the detector to find coins, objects, hoards, etc. thanks

hi... so... i have a whites spp, and i know that the board is the same of the whites tdi sl. i have a oportunity to buy one whites tdi sl for 1000€, does it worth change from the whites spp to the whites tdi sl? i want to use the detector to find coins, objects, hoards, etc. thanks
1000€ for an obsolete model detector from a manufacturer that's no longer in business? There must be better options than that, surely?

Here in Australia, I think the #1 detector for serious treasure-hunting is probably the Minelab CTX 3030. But If you're just looking for maximum depth rather than versatile discrimination, target ID, etc., you should probably consider one of Minelab's GPX series of PI detectors, either the GPX 4500, 4800 or 5000. There's a big range of coils available for them, from Coiltek and NuggetFinder as well as Minelab, but these are primarily gold hunting detectors, so there's no worthwhile discrimination and you'll likely find plenty of very deep trash as well as treasure.

Here in Australia, I think the #1 detector for serious treasure-hunting is probably the Minelab CTX 3030. But If you're just looking for maximum depth rather than versatile discrimination, target ID, etc., you should probably consider one of Minelab's GPX series of PI detectors, either the GPX 4500, 4800 or 5000. There's a big range of coils available for them, from Coiltek and NuggetFinder as well as Minelab, but these are primarily gold hunting detectors, so there's no worthwhile discrimination and you'll likely find plenty of very deep trash as well as treasure.
thanks for the answer, i already had a ctx3030, gpx is a dream detector, but to expensive... and the gpx4500 they just dont show up in the second hand market...

The SPP is probably just as good at what your using it for as the TDI SL. The only differences are the TDI SL has an adjustable Pulse Delay & Conductivity Switch which can both be modded onto the SPP I believe.
Adjustable Pulse Delay might help on some larger coils & the Conductivity Switch gives the option of highlighting low or high tones. Whether either would be beneficial is up to the individual user.

You may be better to look at something like the Fisher Gemini 3?
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/fisher-gemini3-metal-detector.htm
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/specifications/Gemini-3 Spec Sheet (2014) - 02.28.14.pdf

As much as I love my TDI SL, since I have had an SDC2300 & Makro Gold Kruzer she doesnt get much use these days- mainly to lend-to-a-mate type stuff.

I dont think your unmodded SPP would perform much better than an SL except under specific circumstances related to ability to run a bigger coil or if lots of small iron where low conductivity mode would help. Either way I personally would never pay EUR1000 for that upgrade, it is too small a step.

As Matt said - you can mod a SPP to become an SL. If you can do basic soldering it will cost you about EUR5 in parts.

Are you sure that you really want a PI anyway ? Yes they are much deeper in mineralised ground but they are not deeper in unmineralised ground. How mineralised is your ground?

Also since they have no discrimination, in anything other than virgin ground you will just dig much more trash. How much more ? Well try running your VLF in all metal mode & just dig the beeps without looking at the discrimination numbers & see. I know that in abandoned townships in Oz I would never use a PI as the trash to treasure ratio is 100:1 to 1000:1 and I am being kind at calling pennies & buckles treasure. That is a lot of holes to dig....

Given a few thousand years of habitation & untold battles Europe does not seem to be the place to use a PI, if it was then people would already do so & they would be much more readily available second hand and new. The reason they are not more common is because they are not as suitable as VLF for that area & for coin/treasure type targets.

If you have had a CTX3030 and you want more then I think you are going to have to face up to GPX size prices, even if you dont get a PI. The Nokta Deep Treasure series look impressive but they are more like GPZ prices !!

Best of luck

Last edited:
As much as I love my TDI SL, since I have had an SDC2300 & Makro Gold Kruzer she doesnt get much use these days- mainly to lend-to-a-mate type stuff.

I dont think your unmodded SPP would perform much better than an SL except under specific circumstances related to ability to run a bigger coil or if lots of small iron where low conductivity mode would help. Either way I personally would never pay EUR1000 for that upgrade, it is too small a step.

As Matt said - you can mod a SPP to become an SL. If you can do basic soldering it will cost you about EUR5 in parts.

Are you sure that you really want a PI anyway ? Yes they are much deeper in mineralised ground but they are not deeper in unmineralised ground. How mineralised is your ground?

Also since they have no discrimination, in anything other than virgin ground you will just dig much more trash. How much more ? Well try running your VLF in all metal mode & just dig the beeps without looking at the discrimination numbers & see. I know that in abandoned townships in Oz I would never use a PI as the trash to treasure ratio is 100:1 to 1000:1 and I am being kind at calling pennies & buckles treasure. That is a lot of holes to dig....

Given a few thousand years of habitation & untold battles Europe does not seem to be the place to use a PI, if it was then people would already do so & they would be much more readily available second hand and new. The reason they are not more common is because they are not as suitable as VLF for that area & for coin/treasure type targets.

If you have had a CTX3030 and you want more then I think you are going to have to face up to GPX size prices, even if you dont get a PI. The Nokta Deep Treasure series look impressive but they are more like GPZ prices !!

Best of luck
thanks for the answer, i also have the possibility to buy the garrett atx at 1350€.... but thats it... i dont know how much it will give me, and its a lot of money....

i have grounds with a lot of mineralization, and other with low...

There is an alternative.
QED PI Metal detector, made in Australia.
This one is mine QLD PL3 with a Detech 18" dual concentric coil.

Attachments

• DSCF1061.JPG_a.JPG
    DSCF1061.JPG_a.JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 0
hi is a whites tdi sl tan any better
Mond44

hi is a whites tdi sl tan any better
Mond44

The TDI SL Metal Detector has pulse induction power that provides unbeatable depth and sensitivity in its price range. And now the deal is even better. More than a new paint job, this Special Edition features key changes to the TDI platform aimed at serious prospectors. First and foremost, this detector ships with an 8 x 12″ Miner John Designs Folded Mono search coil. This choice was made to give gold prospectors better depth on large nuggets, but also increased sensitivity to small specimen gold that other pulse machines might miss. We also swapped the intermediate and lower shafts to create a streamlined “straight shaft” configuration preferred by gold hunters. Finally, to top it all off we revamped the control box with a desert tan paint scheme ideal for hot environments. This package is offered for a limited time and at a discounted price. And best of all the detector and coil are Made in America. The rechargeable NIMH battery lasts up to 6 hours, and a backup AA battery back will power all-day exploration. At a weight of only 3.3 lbs, and rugged metal construction, this Special Edition TDI SL is ready for serious prospecting. Are you?" Source: White's website

So the differences are mainly cosmetic - what is inside the boxes is exactly the same.

The Miner John coil is better than the standard Whites one for AU gold hunting. It wont be better than a Sadie on small stuff though but it will def go deeper on larger targets.

Latest posts