What are your other hobbies??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1475061360_pup_2.jpg

1475061385_pup_almost_done.jpg

1475061478_pup_at_field.jpg

I build and fly small planes, WW1,WW2 mainly.

Hey Occasional_panner. My grandfather (an Ozzie - mum's side - in the UK to fight) flew Sopwith Triplanes then Sopwith Camels for the Royal Naval Air Service in WWI. Battles fought include: Western Front (Somme sector), Battle of Arras, Battle of Messines, Battle of Passchendaele and many smaller skirmishes. 21 kills, so a 4 times ace. DSC plus 2 bars. At 19, he was the youngest Australian ace of WWI and 7th overall for the war. He was described by his CO as: "a brilliant pilot and air fighter", and that "his aerial victories were gained by clean, clever fighting". He often spoke to me about his Sopwiths, and what a delight they were to manoeuvre. I still love watching those machines at airshows to this day!

That's him and very proud of all grand parents. Although we only shared the name of Richard (my middle), we have the same initials, so I inherited most of his monogrammed jewellery (cufflinks etc). He taught me to bush camp and night spot-lighting (over which I heard many of his tales), which became my second hobby. PS: what year at Ora et Labora? I was in Rusden.

G'day BigWave, I finished in 88, I was in Witherby.
I'm very jealous of your outings as a child, I never had grandparents, having such experiences must have been fantastic, and all the flying stories would have just topped it off.

Occasional_panner said:

Nice :cool:

One of my earliest childhood memories was of my nappy-friend's fathers's remote control spitfire that he was building and the print of the dog-fighting planes on the lounge room wall.

69+4 = 1973 :eek:

Have loved warbirds ever since. Thanks for digging up the memories.

Love that , my nappy friend :) gave me a good giggle . Sometimes we need one. A giggle that is . Thanks again

There is certainly a common theme with outdoor activities. I have been a keen fisherman for over 50 years, I try to keep my addiction in check but it is hard, I am down to 40 reels now and even fewer rods. Also keen archer and bowhunter, only 6 bows but have my eyes on a couple more, been flinging arrows for 50 years as well. Play golf two or three times a week, enjoy the game but enjoy the social side just as much. Always liked dirt bikes but getting a bit old now so the bikes had to go before I killed myself. Main hobby is still chasing the missus around, 38 years into our honeymoon and can't see it ending anytime soon.

Magilla said:
There is certainly a common theme with outdoor activities. I have been a keen fisherman for over 50 years, I try to keep my addiction in check but it is hard, I am down to 40 reels now and even fewer rods. Also keen archer and bowhunter, only 6 bows but have my eyes on a couple more, been flinging arrows for 50 years as well. Play golf two or three times a week, enjoy the game but enjoy the social side just as much. Always liked dirt bikes but getting a bit old now so the bikes had to go before I killed myself. Main hobby is still chasing the missus around, 38 years into our honeymoon and can't see it ending anytime soon.

Hey there Magilla...Are you the same one that's on the Bowhunters Group of Australia??

You can never have too many rod an reels magilla!
What are your favorites?
Mine (ATM) ate my Diawa j dream baitcaster and st Croix legend elite, 8-12 lb baitcaster.
But I have other favorites to. Dads Avon Royal is still nice...

Haven't been into prospecting that long but have had radio control cars since I was young.
Now its 1/8 scale offroad nitro buggies,(1 is my brothers), built from pro racing kits with just about every adjustment you can think of to make them handle & jump well when racing & 3.5cc engines powered by nitro methane & methanol, adjustable clutches, diff & shock oils.
My modified 3.5cc engine puts out 3.1hp & revs to 44,000 rpm.
1/8 nitro buggy is the biggest racing class world wide with some sponsored RC drivers getting 6 figure salaries to travel the world racing little cars. They are holding the world championships in Vegas in the next week or so.
1475163237_13658978_10210144722837339_2403330393592735506_n.jpg

1475163237_13716122_10210144722557332_3641009648703647728_n.jpg

Latest posts