What are your other hobbies??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrounger, thanks mate, you are the 1st person ever to recognise the little fella as an archer fish! Thanks!

I am hoping to find someone on here who makes either beach scoops or spades like a Lesche. :)

Cool, do you make your own make or use shop brought ones? I have recently tasted some very very good homebrew whiskey, matured on home done slighlty burnt oak chips. Very good , when I find some gold will invest in some kit.

Great looking lures Davent, do you do any freshwater ones for Murray Cod & Yellow Belly.

My other hobby that I like but don't do as much now is 1/8 scale radio control offroad nitro buggies, building racing kits from a box of parts, setting everything from camber, toe, diff oils, shock oils & shock pistons, suspension angle settings, you name it, the settings can be changed to suit virtually all types of racing track & conditions. Probably more adjustable than a real race car. Then there's the nitro engine tuning, running on 25-30% nitro methane, methanol & around 10% synthetic & castor oil. The clutch is also adjustable with clutch shoes & springs to adjust engagement, alloy or steel flywheels. Heaps of different tyre treads, compounds & different foam inserts. Alot of people think they are just little toys, but the race kits are a work of art & they take a beating, they also love jumps on the dirt tracks & hit speed around 70-80kp/h on a dirt track with big jumps.
Australia is actually holding one of the biggest international race meetings in the world over in W.A in 2018, the offroad GP world Championships, some sponsored drivers get 6 figure sallaries for racing toy cars.
The engines are brilliant, in the 1/8 offroad class they use 3.5cc (.21ci) 2 stroke nitro engines, they rev up to around 45,000rpm & some cost up to $600+ for the top line models. They sound & smell great though.

I LOVE the sound feel and smell of 'real' nitro/top fuel dragsters ( an experience that 'can not' be discribed)
But....
These little offroad buggies are brilliant to watch ..... Fast? .... Unbelievable!
With the controls in the right hands ( NOT MINE) these little rockets are incredible :p

I, ll have a crack at a cod lure for ya Ozzii, but you, ll need to take a pic of anything ya catch on it ok?

davent said:
I, ll have a crack at a cod lure for ya Ozzii, but you, ll need to take a pic of anything ya catch on it ok?

I've never actually caught a cod myself, came close a couple times but they got away, caught a fair few Yelllow belly though while casting lures. I haven't fished for years & don't have any gear now but my old man always goes camping along the Murray with family & friends, they normally get a few nice fish. They are at a rellies holiday lark near Echuca at the moment then camping near Cobram for a week or so, hopefully they catch a couple of nice ones.

Sandta said:
I LOVE the sound feel and smell of 'real' nitro/top fuel dragsters ( an experience that 'can not' be discribed)
But....
These little offroad buggies are brilliant to watch ..... Fast? .... Unbelievable!
With the controls in the right hands ( NOT MINE) these little rockets are incredible :p

Yes, I used to love going to Calder Park dragway in Melbourne through the 90's to watch the top fuelers, nitro & alcohol funny cars & top door slammers, the sound, smell & feel was awesome.

Little rc buggies aren't quite the same but for such a little car they go very well, driving can be a challenge, specially in the confines of a track with 10+ other drivers, some of the crashes at high speed are great, 60+ kp/h cart wheels bouncing along the ground & off jumps, but they keep going, well sometimes they break but not that much really.

davent said:
Yes and yes!https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6002/1452504659_20141013_1537151.jpg

They are as good as I have seen for a homemade lure, they remind me of some of Peter Newell's lures that I have though yours appear better. It is a shame that the art of making a good timber lure have been lost with the introduction of the cheap injection molded lures from China, good to see you keeping the tradition going. I see you came from Bony Hills, I am at Port and fish Cathie regularly for whiting and flathead. Fishing is one of my main hobbies though I have several, these are some though not all of my reels. I did sell a lot when I moved from Daintree down to Port Macquarie.

rusting said:
I am hoping to find someone on here who makes either beach scoops or spades like a Lesche. :)
Have you tried for a beach scoop, using a gold classifier pan with a circle cut of galvanized rabbit cage mesh? Use the bottom of classifer pan over the mesh to guide the cutting, fasten it then to the bottom inside of pan. I tried this using a Garrett classifier pan, they are tough but the mesh helps break up wet sand. Turn the pan sideways for wet sand at waterline, work it down and tip as you pull up.

Those are nice lures there mate! Reminds me of an article I'd read once in a fishing magazine. They were using yellow pine, a common wood here in the USA, very hard and durable. The lures were painted, I think it was automobile paint. It's been a long time since reading the article, I'm thinking the lures were small enough to troll for jumbo perch on Lake Michigan. When I was young growing up, once caught a 14 inch bluegill out of a private pond on a small minnow shaped lure.

I knew of a fellow using a small copy lathe to make lures years ago,... if he could get really old ones he was able to just make em up and spray paint them. :)

Nice reels magilla, I have a bit of collection as well, less game gear these days, lot of baitcasting gear though.

As for the Newell comment, wash your mouth out!
I wish I could make a lure nearly half as good as Peter Newell made!
He is the yard stick as far as most lure makers are concerned, its a bit like comparing my leg spin to Shane Warnes! Lol.

Magilla, I used to fish the back of lake cathie with my dad, turn off up on x mas bells plains, throw a small tinny off the roof rack, bank launch, and clean up on flalttys and whiting, great spot and memories.
Did a fair bit of drummer fishing around bonny hills, jew off sharkys, longtails off perp, and big tailor from bonnys(snapper rock) and lighthouse beach rocks. Also hit plummer, and cresent head pretty hard as a young bloke. Used to get some good pigs off a secret spot at bonny hills in really big swells, 4kg plus black drummer.

I`m curious, Whats your other hobby besides prospecting?

I spend most my time with my family (missus, 3 teenagers and 4 young foster kids). I also enjoy Kayak fishing my local rivers. Mainly target flathead using soft plastics. Kayak fishing is my down time relaxing time. I also spend a lot of time building my Xmas light show. I love the energy of xmas with kids. I have done small static lights on the house a few time but this year I am doing a light show synchronised to music broadcasted over the FM radio so you can listen to the music while watching the lights from your car. Lots of computer programming, wiring and soldering but should be good.

Apart from fossicking ive always been a keen fisherman . I spend my of my fishing time targeting mulloway or kingfish from my boat or just lazy mornings on the bank somewhere around Sydney for bream and flatties etc. I also play with electronic gadgets and technology and love online computer games . Ive played the whole Battlefield series from 1942 up to Battlefield 4 but now im hooked on an amazing game called DayZ standalone :)

Gaz

Motor bikes been on dirt and road bikes all my life love them
1475027145_imag0259-1200x2133.jpg

Latest posts