What are your other hobbies??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just curious about peoples other hobbies are? golf? boating? fishing? my other interests are doing up my old 1971 VH Valiant and every christmas i put up a christmas light display on my house for the kids and this year i have gone musical lights. pull up out the front and tune your radio in to listen to the music and watch my sequenced christmas light show (if i ever get close to finishing).

I do professional pogo basketball

In case you didn't see it before its basketball but the whole team is on pogo sticks

Makes for a really fast game

We were invited to present our case to the IOC. ( Olympics committee ) to lobby for inclusion as an Olympic sport but unfortunately didn't make the meeting ( couldn't get up the stairs on our pogo sticks )

:D

HeadsUp said:
I do professional pogo basketball

In case you didn't see it before its basketball but the whole team is on pogo sticks

Makes for a really fast game

We were invited to present our case to the IOC. ( Olympics committee ) to lobby for inclusion as an Olympic sport but unfortunately didn't make the meeting ( couldn't get up the stairs on our pogo sticks )

:D
I can't tell whether or not your serious... Which is probably because i want so badly for that to be a real sport :lol:

but in regards to the original post i too like working on cars, i also dabble in chemistry and other sciencey type projects.
OH and i also like to pretend Im a musician, but i guess that's probably pretty obvious lol :cool:

Photography: Have won awards for it
Guitar building and playing: Used to do both for a living
Homebrewing: Dont get as much time to brew as i used to, some of my recipes have been published.
Hiking in the bush: Have done some huge distances over the years, now i hike and swing my detector ;)
Offroad driving and long distance offroad travel: Have done it since i was a boy, then in my working life i went from 3rdyr apprentice civilian mechanic to driving instructor in the army, i still love going offroad in my Subaru.

Would love to restore an old EH Holden i know the location of, 1: the old guy wont give it up 2: I dont have time.

This pic is the most recent to win me a comp.
34701174.jpg

Most recent guitar build
roryf.jpg

Offroading in Subarus, i used to own and run OFFROADSUBARUS.com, i sold the iste about 5 yrs ago now
crossing.jpg

I've had a few hobbies over the years. Hunting, fishing, ice hockey to name a few.
Family is important
Cooking has been the longest hobby I guess. Love the basics, making bread, jams n sauces, smoking meats, making cheese....
Camping as well.

yeah family is important, probably the most important, my kids are slowly growing out of "hanging" with dad lol. used to go camping when i had a 4x4 to get into the better spots. havent been for awhile now. im considering buying another 4x4 to help get to areas to prospect.

Get me outdoors and I'll have a go at it.
Snow skiing
Water skiing
Trail riding, I've had dirt bikes since I was 12 yo. used to race enduro
scuba diving
4wding
drag racing. I drive this car http://www.sigrail.com/LJ_Torana.html
and crew on this car http://www.sigrail.com/Saratoga.html
fishing
hunting
bow hunting
I make my own biodiesel when I can get WVO
I have a hot little 66 HR Holden in the shed that I've owned since 1976 and also a 77 holden ute.
I work 4 days a week and still don't get enough time to partake in all these. :mad:

Cheers
Mick

Oh I almost forgot, the latest, collecting and reading Idriess.

Backcreek, whats your favourite scuba diving location? have you done any diving down wollongong way? we used to dive out at "the gutter" and "bush rangers bay". ive been to a couple of spots down jervis bay on a dive charter which was awesome

backcreek said:
Get me outdoors and I'll have a go at it.
Snow skiing
Water skiing
Trail riding, I've had dirt bikes since I was 12 yo. used to race enduro
scuba diving
4wding
drag racing. I drive this car http://www.sigrail.com/LJ_Torana.html
and crew on this car http://www.sigrail.com/Saratoga.html
fishing
hunting
bow hunting
I make my own biodiesel when I can get WVO
I have a hot little 66 HR Holden in the shed that I've owned since 1976 and also a 77 holden ute.
I work 4 days a week and still don't get enough time to partake in all these. :mad:

Cheers
Mick

Oh I almost forgot, the latest, collecting and reading Idriess.

Drag racing is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEziRqD2fU8&feature=player_embedded#at=28
my cousin drives/owns this car.
and i sponsor this one :)
1376788483_942554_587478881283550_431416917_n.jpg

Other hobby used to be trail riding - although I did it on the cheap & rode my Ag bike(hence Ag Man)

Used to ride with large group rides thru forums & entered a few big rides too. BlueLight ride, & 2x did the Redlight ride at Boolarra.
Got a few pictures in Trailrider over the years.

Was heaps of fun belting around on a $500 bike & go everywhere other guys would go on their $14,000 bikes. Most said I looked like I had more fun & I recon they were right too. :D

Still got the old bike & it's still registered - I just don't get out to ride it. Would love to take it out bush & load it up with prospecting gear.

Ag man has reminded me. But don't know how I missed it.
Bike riding. The last 3 years is the first time I've been without a motorbike since I was 14.
I still have 1 under the house to restore. 85 VF1000, the V8 of motorcycles :D
Has enough torque to pull a caravan.But I don't have a registered bike at the moment.

My other hobby is rebuilding my eh holden sedan, which has been neglected for the last couple of years while I have been detecting, but it is now time to get back into it, I can't wait to drive it again.

Ahh motorcycles, i always had one up until i broke my neck, and no not from riding, raced MotoX and speedway and a short stint road racing on a Bultaco Metralla MK2.

Heres my last bike, i miss riding alot
My Moto Guzzi Mille GT "Milly"

motoguzzi01resize.jpg

I've had a few over the years.

I used to be pretty keen on fishing, but not so much any more.

Main one over many years is amateur radio, and I hold the call sign VK2EF.

Like RamJet, I have been a pretty keen cook for many years, and I put my self through Uni back in the 70's and 80's by rattling the pots and pans in various eateries back then.

I have played guitar for a very long time, and my skill varies a lot depending on how much time I put in. Current guitars are an old flat top and a DonMo tricone resonator guitar.

In the last 2 years I have been singing pretty seriously, taking lessons from the local regional conservatorium, where I am on the Board. This has been great, and I have sung in a few concerts at the Con as well as making a regular appearance at local Karaoke (for some reason Karaoke is pretty popular in Goulburn). Since I mainly sing jazz and classic 50's and 60's (Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, Jonny Harman), I have learned a few country songs by Trace Atkins, which go down a treat at Karaoke.

Paul said:
Backcreek, whats your favourite scuba diving location? have you done any diving down wollongong way? we used to dive out at "the gutter" and "bush rangers bay". ive been to a couple of spots down jervis bay on a dive charter which was awesome
Hay Paul,
Dived the gutter many times. Bushrangers bay is OK but the walk out is a killer.
I have dived JB, the torpedo tubes, Bowen Isl. saw a 7 gilled shark, seal and a turtle on the same dive. Also dived the Fairy Firefly wreck in JB as well.
Favorite dive spot has to be Vanuatu.

Cheers
Mick

Ramjet said:
I've had a few hobbies over the years. Hunting, fishing, ice hockey to name a few.
Family is important
Cooking has been the longest hobby I guess. Love the basics, making bread, jams n sauces, smoking meats, making cheese....
Camping as well.

I love ice hockey. I use to play when I was a kid growing up in Europe. Over there ice hockey is huge.
My son was playing rugby union so I really enjoy watching that now.
Apart of that I play bit of golf, love taking the Jeep out and getting it dirty and camping. I like potting around the garden and grow my own veggies. We also have chickens.
I use to breed discuss fish and grow bonsais. But I have given up on that. (Not enough patience) :)

AussieTreasureDigger said:
Ahh motorcycles, i always had one up until i broke my neck, and no not from riding, raced MotoX and speedway and a short stint road racing on a Bultaco Metralla MK2.

Heres my last bike, i miss riding alot
My Moto Guzzi Mille GT "Milly"

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8876/motoguzzi01resize.jpg

My dads rebuilding his 6 Cylinder CBX 1000 (now 1351), this thing will do over 300kms an hour no problems. Here's a video of the engine which I don't believe was completely finished at the time.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/UBCv9zZRZzE[/video]

I thought it might be something you would be interested in watching. If I can get some pics of the bike I'll post them up.

i restored a 1976 kawasaki Z650. that was fun. rebuilt from ground up, resprayed. got it ready for rego and sold it :(

ah, yes great topic. nothing beats going out in your boat and catching fresh fish and then coming home and eating them with a fresh salad from your own veggie patch, you are allowed to feel like a king for a day..lol