What are YOU doing right NOW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stressed out :confused::eek:o_O..... Our Realestate told me our 'Lovely' landlords will be putting up our rent from $420pw up to a "reasonable amount of $550-600" (landlords exact words..)...:mad:
There's No way We can pay that on a Disability Support Pension...

That means the Streets will have 2 +1cat extra...

WTF, Never in my life i would have ever thought we would be Fxxxxxxx Homeless...

And Yes , In QLD, it is the only State where Landlords can do this... There is NO CAP on rent Increases in QLD... And QLD is the worst hit for this new wave of 'Street People"..

Wonder Why?

LW...o_O
Unfortunately only the ACT has a (10%) cap on price increases, not any state.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10...lenge-state-and-territory-australia/101498632
This is the full situation in Queensland. Good luck - a lousy position to be in. Note the applying for a dispute resolution on excessive increases (only after signed though)

Queensland​

Like many states, Queensland does not have a cap on how much your rent can be increased by at once. But depending on the terms of your agreement, you must have been in the property for at least six months, or six months must have passed since the last increase.

• If you're on a fixed-term: the rent cannot be increased unless the agreement states so and sets out the new amount (or how it will be worked out).
    You must also be given at least two months notice in writing.
  • Rents can be increased at the end of a fixed term agreement, provided at least six months has passed since the last increase. If the agreement isn't signed, it becomes periodic and the rent can be increased by giving two months notice prior to, or on the commencement of, the agreement.
  • For periodic agreements: the rent cannot be increased unless you're given at least two months notice in writing and it has been at least six months since the last rent increase, or since the tenancy started.
If you feel like a rent increase is excessive and you've been unable to reach an agreement with your landlord, you can apply for a dispute resolution once a new agreement is signed.

I was thinking the same - there is nothing more valuable than a good tenant I remember. I always kept increases small and only when tenancies changed, and gave latitude on late rent payment when I had a good tenant. Someone who kept things tidy, caused no damage beyond wear and tear, kept the garden OK and not let it die. Worth more than increased rent....

Change of tenancy is when to increase rent - but also when to finally replace the ageing stove or dishwasher etc.
Thats their plan i think... time for a reno and up the rent. to suit the market..

Rents in our area have increased dramatically since Covid and all they want is 'Market Value'... So in one way with rates rising they may just have to Financially... I don't know their position...
We have been perfect Long term Tenants.... No issues what-so-ever... Never late in rent.. Place kept as if it was my own .. Nice and Neat...
Even our Rental Manager is dumfounded at their reasons...
But yes,

And We will move along to a better place.. A New Page begins in the Book of Life...

LW....

How nice (sarcasm) that the Realestate is giving you the option to pay the increased amount knowing that if you can pay , you will and if you cant, then they just give you notice to vacate and find some one that will pay the increased amount.
They have little to loose in this scenario LW especially if they have a list of people waiting to rent, they just exchange a tenant that cant pay the increase (you) for a tenant that can pay..
Also the real estate is increasing their revenue with the % increase in management fees they can charge on the increased renatal amount i.e 8% of $550 compared to 8% of $420 ..is an increase in revenue for their business.
Its not just the landlord that is going to be happy about the rent rise..

Last edited:
Yes i know how it works... But its just not as simple to get us out and get someone else in... Must be 6mths between. (new Law last year), but that gives them time to do the reno ... Thinking We might buy a Caravan and become Grey Nomads for awhile... Sounds better, less stress...

LW....

As Diginit says, if you can possibly manage to purchase a cheap place at least you stay ahead of inflation. We bought this little place we live in at about 50% above the going rate for a house in this town but ours is about 50% better than most. We moved out of a town with average prices around $350 to $400,000 and paid $102,500 here. It came with everything, cutlery, crockery, tables and chairs, TV's, lounge, paintings on the walls, Hilux in the driveway and food in the freezer. We have covered verandahs all round and both evaporative and refrigerative AC.

No rent, cheap rates and my mate panned gold in the driveway.

MB that's funny, basically did the exact same even to the point of new place being fully furnished even with knives, forks and plates. You didn't really need to bring anything with you apart from your clothes :D The sat TV was even connected ;) Rates dropped from $2400 a year to $850 for 2200 squ metre block. What I loved most was I could now do what I used to spend $1400 in fuel to do simply by walking out the front gate. 👍 The toys one could buy with the change left over was pretty enjoyable also one might add here. ;) 👍 Health improved along with my demeanor :cool: also due to not owing a cent to anyone, no stress and get up each day and be able to do what I love to do 👍 The only rabbits I now have to contend with are the one's with fur. 🤣🤣 Bottom line is I wasn't really happy how I was living so I changed it and was the best decision I have EVER made in my life. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it 20 years sooner than I did. 🤔 Gotta go as the Z is fully charged and the dogs sitting in the SBS waiting and the bugger chews things when he's bored ;)🤣🤣🤣
The lady says it well even being I was the boss but still applies 👍

Last edited:
I am extending my stay in hospital y a week to get some more rehab for my back. Been there 3 weeks so far.

Jaros, hopefully 2023 will be more kind to you. We don't consider the damage we do to our back during our younger years. I hope you are soon well enough to get out there again and do whatever you want.

Greedy act by your landlords LW and really feel for you.
When one chooses to become a rental property investor, one should not think that a tenant is some financial object to be manipulated for one’s own benefit.
With shares going up and down unnervingly a few years back, I decided to invest in a rental property. Had some difficulty doing that because the banks thought I was too old to assist with a loan, but that’s another story.
With the existing tenants rent and the sum I put in and even allowing for some interest rate hikes the sums worked out quite well.
That was nearly 5 years ago and have only put the rent up once (by $10 per week) after consultation with the tenant and my paying (tax deductible) for installation of roof top solar to reduce electricity bills.
Sounds like your landlord is a money grubbing arsehole, LW. Hope you can get out of their clutches somehow.

Yes i know how it works... But its just not as simple to get us out and get someone else in... Must be 6mths between. (new Law last year), but that gives them time to do the reno ... Thinking We might buy a Caravan and become Grey Nomads for awhile... Sounds better, less stress...

LW....
LW
I dont own rentals in Qld so no idea how the rental regs work in that state
But if it takes 6 months to get you out how can the owner or the real estate renovate a house you are still renting ?
From my experience in other states i could never do reno work on a tenanted property with out the permission and cooperation of the tenant.
Becoming a grey nomad will work for a while but eventually you will need a permanent place to call home and that puts you back in the rental market paying off someone elses property.
Owning a cheap property anywhere in the long run would be better than renting.

Our daughter who is on an NDIS pension, recently sold her unit in Geelong and bought in Maryborough, Vic.
She was able to pay outright for the Maryborough unit and fully pay out her mortgage. Lots better off now moving to a regional area, has more friends and loves it.
Always wondered why governments seem happy to pay rental subsidies for some pensioners to live in expensive urban areas but not subsidies for people to own inexpensive homes and get out of the rental trap.

after putting a new draft control spring ,rear pto seal and a new power steering pump on the old massey it is time to do some slashing that has been on hold for 2 months waiting for parts
and i don't care what it costs i will not do a draft control spring again :oops::rolleyes: i will leave it to the blokes that spin the spanners:)

LW looked at the grey nomad thing and basically once your past your second tank per week, fuel cost exceeds weekly rent. :rolleyes: Personally if I'm travelling I'd like to travel a bit further in a week than what two tanks of fuel will take me plus you still don't have that base to fall back on if ever needed. :oops: The trap can be difficult to get out of but worth every bit of effort required once you do so. 👍

Last edited:
Greedy act by your landlords LW and really feel for you.
When one chooses to become a rental property investor, one should not think that a tenant is some financial object to be manipulated for one’s own benefit.
With shares going up and down unnervingly a few years back, I decided to invest in a rental property. Had some difficulty doing that because the banks thought I was too old to assist with a loan, but that’s another story.
With the existing tenants rent and the sum I put in and even allowing for some interest rate hikes the sums worked out quite well.
That was nearly 5 years ago and have only put the rent up once (by $10 per week) after consultation with the tenant and my paying (tax deductible) for installation of roof top solar to reduce electricity bills.
Sounds like your landlord is a money grubbing arsehole, LW. Hope you can get out of their clutches somehow.
They are..... after all We live on the Gold Coast.. We are their 'Cash Cow'...

I knew that during Covid... Who in their right mind would inflict pain at that time with a bloody rent rise .... Both Agent and Landlord are tarred with the same brush since day 1 of living here... ...
But I have found out some other things that come with having no where to live, Centrelink can NOT pay Us our Pension as We have 'No Place of Residence' ... This can of Worms just gets better... :(

LW...

LW
I dont own rentals in Qld so no idea how the rental regs work in that state
But if it takes 6 months to get you out how can the owner or the real estate renovate a house you are still renting ?
From my experience in other states i could never do reno work on a tenanted property with out the permission and cooperation of the tenant.
Becoming a grey nomad will work for a while but eventually you will need a permanent place to call home and that puts you back in the rental market paying off someone elses property.
Owning a cheap property anywhere in the long run would be better than renting.
Yes they do their Renos Between Tenants, Nucopia... Not good is it ?..... This stupid new law and a few others came into affect in QLD on the 30/10/2022... This and also the fact that owning an Investment Property in QLD if fast becoming un-financial to do so.. Heaps are selling up and Investing elsewhere because of these new laws...

Wish I was able to buy My own place but unless i win lotto(Dont play) It will remain a dream... :oops:

LW...

Last edited:
LW looked at the grey nomad thing and basically once your past your second tank per week, fuel cost exceeds weekly rent. :rolleyes: Personally if I'm travelling I'd like to travel a bit further in a week than what two tanks of fuel will take me plus you still don't have that base to fall back on if ever needed. :oops: The trap can be difficult to get out of but worth every bit of effort required once you do so. 👍
Thats the Track we are thinking about taking... I get 700km for a tank (160l in 2 tanks) cost $2per L ?= 300ish to fill give or take... Plenty of Places to stop and smell the grass for awhile till we need to 'Fill' again... And most stops are Free to camp, so another saving...

LW...

Latest posts