A new Old guy from South Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All RobM here
I have recently retired and found this forum while watching some Vogus videos.
I had tried panning at Jupiter Creek in 1995 before I migrated to South Australia, I was on holiday from Scotland and my friend took me and the family to Jupiter Creek for a day out.
I was amazed that I was able to find some colour in my pan.
Now that I have no work to go to I thought I would bring out the old pans and have a go.
So any advice from the members here would be much appreciated.
I am hoping to spend a few weeks in the Ballarat Bendigo area in the winter caravanning around, can any members recommend some caravan parks within easy reach of some potential panning areas?
I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and look forward to my daily e-mail.

Hi Rob, if you want to pan at Jupiter Creek, you'll need to wait for winter when some of the holes down the bottom start to fill up with water. It's all pretty dry at the moment. From my experience the better gold is in the red clay, so some classifiers will be necessary to break up the clay.

Hi All RobM here
I have recently retired and found this forum while watching some Vogus videos.
I had tried panning at Jupiter Creek in 1995 before I migrated to South Australia, I was on holiday from Scotland and my friend took me and the family to Jupiter Creek for a day out.
I was amazed that I was able to find some colour in my pan.
Now that I have no work to go to I thought I would bring out the old pans and have a go.
So any advice from the members here would be much appreciated.
I am hoping to spend a few weeks in the Ballarat Bendigo area in the winter caravanning around, can any members recommend some caravan parks within easy reach of some potential panning areas?
I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and look forward to my daily e-mail.
Tarningulla East of Dunolly $10.00 per night or waanyarra cemetery free camp 200 metres down the road toilets water or Dunolly caravan park, slatty Creek north of Ballarat and panning in creek when water in it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rob, if you want to pan at Jupiter Creek, you'll need to wait for winter when some of the holes down the bottom start to fill up with water. It's all pretty dry at the moment. From my experience the better gold is in the red clay, so some classifiers will be necessary to break up the clay.
Thanks PhaseTech
I was up there yesterday and spent a couple of hours with my new (Second hand Gold Monster), I was amazed at how small the targets were that it could find although they were the usual shotgun pellet and an old horseshoe nail and lots of little bits of wire and foil. Yes, I am looking forward to being able to pan some of that clay in the winter, meantime I am hoping to be heading to Victoria in July and August so might try my luck at Reedy Creek and the Golden Triangle if the government has left us any land to prospect on 😒

Tarningulla East of Dunolly $10.00 per night or waanyarra cemetery free camp 200 metres down the road toilets water or Dunolly caravan park, slatty Creek north of Ballarat and panning in creek when water in it
Slaty Creek is a bit dogey don't go to far from your camp or equipment as it will disappear if your not careful, have heard many stories of this happening

Thanks Beaky and Lazy Pat will make sure he Rotweiler is on duty that day ;)

Latest posts