Twin cab ute canopies

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G,day all,
I am after any advice/recommendations on which canopy to buy for my ute. Its a 2012 Holden Colorado.
Having done lots of research and getting a few prices I am still no closer to deciding which one may be the best.
I am hoping for some advice on what to look out for, value for money and anything else that may be relevant before shelling out the "big bucks".
Any good/bad points will all help me in my choice.

Thanks in advance for any advice folks.

Hi Billy, I have always used ARB Conopys on my last 3 Navara's. They are molded plastic, I think plastic is far better than fiberglass.
They are water proof around the top of the tub.(if fitted properly)they will let a bit of dust in at the back but most will come through the tail gate
If you are handy can be fixed with foam rubber.Hope this helps

midlifecrisis said:
Hi Billy, I have always used ARB Conopys on my last 3 Navara's. They are molded plastic, I think plastic is far better than fiberglass.
They are water proof around the top of the tub.(if fitted properly)they will let a bit of dust in at the back but most will come through the tail gate
If you are handy can be fixed with foam rubber.Hope this helps

Thanks for your input midlife,
I have looked at the ARB canopy and am probably most turned off by its looks compared to others out there but the plastic is probably a better option than fiberglass as you said. EGR is another I have looked at but the rear door on it puts me off a bit.
Dust ingress can be somewhat alleviated by letting the area pressurize (spelling?) through a vent or such I believe.
Thanks again and yep all input helps :)

westyjames said:
carryboy are also a very impressive unit along with the arb unit

G,day Westy,
I have been looking at the carryboy canopy and am still waiting on a reply to an email I sent them yesterday. They look the goods but have heard they are rather expensive but am happy to pay for quality.
I sent a similar email to Razorback and heard back from them this morning with prices etc. Bit pricey but are made from steel and have a few extra options that would probably suit my needs.
Thanks for replying and the search continues! :cool:

sit down when you read the price of the carryboy... exy, but good

old man has the erg on his bt50, the rear window is a turd of a design.

the arb is a great option if you are looking to fit roofracks too, as you can get the arb internal mounts for it

I have a ARB on my 07 Rodeo spacecab, great piece of kit, sliding window on driver side and flip up window on passenger side. I made the mistake of taking the canopy off by myself so I could redo the rubber seal around the top of the tub, crikey it weighed a friggin ton and I'm not a little bloke either...lol By the way...I noticed a lot of difference in the arse end in regard to road grip with and without the canopy, the extra weight helps keep the ute planted to the road in the arse end that's for sure.

westyjames said:
sit down when you read the price of the carryboy... exy, but good

old man has the erg on his bt50, the rear window is a turd of a design.

the arb is a great option if you are looking to fit roofracks too, as you can get the arb internal mounts for it

The Razorback price made me sit down that's for sure but the price of $3850 delivered, fitted, central locking, interior led light,rear demister, tinted windows, lift up side windows and rack track on the roof, didn't seem that bad all things considered. I don't need roof racks as such yet but there is the option of fitting them later and its rated to 100 kg. Am leaning towards this one but it is a lot of cash that's for sure!

stevo said:
I have a ARB on my 07 Rodeo spacecab, great piece of kit, sliding window on driver side and flip up window on passenger side. I made the mistake of taking the canopy off by myself so I could redo the rubber seal around the top of the tub, crikey it weighed a friggin ton and I'm not a little bloke either...lol By the way...I noticed a lot of difference in the arse end in regard to road grip with and without the canopy, the extra weight helps keep the ute planted to the road in the arse end that's for sure.

Thats interesting about the grip thing stevo, do you know what the canopy weighs?

I would estimate around 150kgs or so. Its really a two man job to lift and fit, I only just managed to get it back on the tub by myself, its a wonder I didn't give myself a hernia. Obviously a canopy for a dual cab would be shorter hence a little lighter than mine which is for a spacecab. It definitely was night and day with canopy off and on, my rodeo has the 3.6L commodore V6 engine. With canopy off the rear end felt very light and could easily spin the rear wheels, also the vehicle was a lot quicker from a standing start and though the gears. With canopy on the rear felt a little more planted not as easy to spin the wheels and was slightly a little slower thru the gears, so the weight of the canopy made a hell of a difference, I'm not to sure but I think my canopy may be fibreglass hence the weight..

Just looking at ARB website my canopy is the classic series with high roof, has been on ute since 2007 when vehicle was new. I really like the new Ascent canopy, might see if they can do a trade in..

Thanks for that Stevo and yep its a wonder you didn't bust a valve trying to lug that thing on and off! :D

The search continues, I had a reply from carryboy, and they want about $3700 and I will have to fit it myself.

I am still undecided and will continue my research.

Thanks for all replies so far and don't be shy, if you have a canopy please let me know your thoughts on it.

Cheers,
Billy.

Thanks Colmaca, I did have a bit of a look at the EKO and is definitely a lot cheaper than razorback and carryboy.
I am wondering though, does the old "you get what you pay for" thing come into play.
Cheers,
Billy.

Instead of looking at new ones on display, try to find some on utes in car yard, you will get to see how they wear and test run the car too to see what its like on there... heck, you might even beable to buy a used one off ghe ute cheap

Thanks for the replies and good ideas fellas,
I will have to check out the car yards for a better idea of what suits.
Cheers,
Billy.

The advantage with buying a fibreglass one these are gelcoated so can be polished back really well.

Good luck with it.

Sliding side windows as suggested by Colmaca as you do not have to replace the struts that hold them open.
I have the flip out ones and wish I had sliding. On the other hand sliding windows only open half compared
to the flip ones.

Cheers

Latest posts