My first relic/historical hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Jane

Wayne
Reaction score
Morning PA Members!

Having only tinkered on the beach to date, I've decided to start researching my first historical/relic hunt. I've always had an interest in history, and it was that interest that made me purchase a detector.

The area i have decided on is Morpeth NSW, and in particular, the past rail network.

I recently visited the local museum which gave me a good insight into the history of the town along with photos and maps, creating a good platform (train pun intended) for my research and eventually my hunt.

Ive found maps that outlay the corridor, significant points with in it and surrounding relevant areas to also detect. Photos that also show where it was, and how it looked prior to its closure in 1953.

What i am seeking advice on is:

* How do i (even, should i) approach people that may now have private property over the past rail corridor?
* What, if any, further research would you recommend?
* Any tips or advice from people that may have done similar in the past.

I would imagine that i will be mainly looking for currency, possibly co-operative tokens and anything else small, rail related?

A few images below, a map and the platform before and current.

any advice and/or feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

-GJ

Attachments

• Morpeth_railway_station_plan.jpg
    Morpeth_railway_station_plan.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Morpeth_006961.jpg
    Morpeth_006961.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • morpeth01.jpg
    morpeth01.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 0
Good luck with your adventures, can't offer you any insight. Haven't ventured into treasure and relics yet.

G’day GJ,
Looks like a quaint little town.... as far as railway corridor hunting goes, my advice is be prepared to swing over plenty of iron junk targets, as those old platforms are full of it. By the same token they can produce the odd good coin or token if you’re patient and can put up with all the trash.
Personally I just rely on Google Earth for locating suitable common areas around these sites.
Having looked at your spot it looks pretty well fenced and gated, apart from what looks like some public land by the river.
This appears to be a small spur line from East Maitland ending at Morpeth. There is the Old East Maitland railway station that looks to have plenty of detectable ground adjacent..... that would be my focus if I had a choice. Also any old sporting ovals and parks.
Cheers and good luck.

Good look looking for relics! I'm in UK so don't really know what land owners are typically like in Oz, but it's quite difficult to get permissions over here for various reasons. If the land is good quality grass pasture, stress that you will cause minimal damage, ie you'll be cutting out a turf, dig and then replace everything...Also, if they say "no", accept that graciously, but ask if they know anything of the history of the area...Sometimes even if you can't dig you still get to learn something...also sometimes an initial "no" can turn to a "yes" even at a later date....

This is a very old area mate. Don't restrict yourself to the railway station only. Have a look at the NSW Land Registry Services Historical Land Records Viewer for this area. Make sure you tick "All" for the County box not just Northumberland and look at the Parish maps.