Diving in the deep end

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living the dream!
I did a similar thing to you, except it was a fishing adventure, no van, a swag, an esky, a gas stove, a dihatsu rocky, some mi Gorang and some rod reels and lures.
Left Wollongong, ended up in Darwin, what a blast! Now have, a beautiful daughter , some incredible adventures, some amazing jobs, and met some of the best people along the way! No real hiccups. A few low times, but not terrible, and always found a job along the way. Started as a fishing trip, now I live permanently in Darwin. Lived off grid near Yeppoon for a bit, Whitsunday, Cairns, Cooktown, Torres straight, Nhulunbuy, To Darwin, back down south and back to the NT. Lol.
I guarantee you will get an opportunity along the way. You just need to recognise it, and then make a decision. I was by myself, so it was probably a lot easier.
I love what you are doing, I hope it works out.
As I said, it was fishing for me, and ended up prospecting.

Living the dream!
I did a similar thing to you, except it was a fishing adventure, no van, a swag, an esky, a gas stove, a dihatsu rocky, some mi Gorang and some rod reels and lures.
Left Wollongong, ended up in Darwin, what a blast! Now have, a beautiful daughter , some incredible adventures, some amazing jobs, and met some of the best people along the way! No real hiccups. A few low times, but not terrible, and always found a job along the way. Started as a fishing trip, now I live permanently in Darwin. Lived off grid near Yeppoon for a bit, Whitsunday, Cairns, Cooktown, Torres straight, Nhulunbuy, To Darwin, back down south and back to the NT. Lol.
I guarantee you will get an opportunity along the way. You just need to recognise it, and then make a decision. I was by myself, so it was probably a lot easier.
I love what you are doing, I hope it works out.
As I said, it was fishing for me, and ended up prospecting.
Nice to see you back Dave. Grew up in Oak Flats what seems like a lifetime ago and now in my 24th residence. Maybe one day , i will have the guts to do what you folk have done but i may not have the years left in me or maybe i do. Stay Safe and a Happy and Holy Easter to all. Mackka

I've read this whole thread and you have been getting some good advise from people who know just how hard it is to actually find GOLD! one comment was you'd be lucky to fund your beer, I think that's over estimating your likely success and would reduce that to milk money.
Getting a Minelab GPX 4500 (5000) if you can will at least give you a fighting chance good to see you were swayed from your first 2 choices as divining rods could have been choice 3 😅
Going to Victoria at this time of year is insane! You're going to be numb & miserable in minus 4-5 degrees every night. You should be heading to QLD now and Victoria in Summer.
I set off from Wollongong to do 2-3 years on the rd with the same dreams as you that was in 2011 (still going 11th year now) difference being I was fully funded (still haven't worked a day and zero government money) & had all the very best equipment available at that time. Sluicing & Panning is a back breaking exercise it's awesome when you get a bit of colour and keeps you going I think the best I have done is about half a gram ($40) for an entire day & that's the best day!
Detecting is a different story 9oz (best day being 1.2oz over 5 bits) last winter in QLD. About 4 months generally 6 days a week from sun up to sundown often in extremely challenging terrain. You'll need safety equipment including a GPS so you can find your car and your way back out of the bush back to camp.
This is a lifestyle for me & I love it & you could too if you don't make huge mistakes early and get totally disheartened. So head North in winter, maybe up to Clermont (no brass monkeys there) you can camp @ the BP for no cost, they even have showers you can use. I'll be there tomorrow night for about 10 days then heading north. (starting my season) have a friend there (Clermont) now in 6 days he's got 24gr.
Last year I was there for 3 days for 14gr be mindful most go there and find zero after 2 weeks or are happy with 2 or 3gr
To cover costs and living including fuel, car servicing and tyres that get shredded you realistically need about half an ounce a week.
FREE camping is a must (download Wikicamps app, it'll cost you less than $10 and will save you $1,000's) but you need to be set up for free camping Power & water being the 2 major hurdles so spend plenty on those two. Solar panels (the bigger the better 300w absolutely the minimum if you have a gas fridge, much more if it's a compressor fridge.
Lithium batteries are so much better it's a no brainer if you can stretch the budget & if you can't WHY ARE YOU GOING?
I'm not trying to turn you off because it's an awesome way to exist just trying to steer you in the right direction.
Good luck
You need lots of this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210924_232058_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20210924_232058_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I've read this whole thread and you have been getting some good advise from people who know just how hard it is to actually find GOLD! one comment was you'd be lucky to fund your beer, I think that's over estimating your likely success and would reduce that to milk money.
Getting a Minelab GPX 4500 (5000) if you can will at least give you a fighting chance good to see you were swayed from your first 2 choices as divining rods could have been choice 3 😅
Going to Victoria at this time of year is insane! You're going to be numb & miserable in minus 4-5 degrees every night. You should be heading to QLD now and Victoria in Summer.
I set off from Wollongong to do 2-3 years on the rd with the same dreams as you that was in 2011 (still going 11th year now) difference being I was fully funded (still haven't worked a day and zero government money) & had all the very best equipment available at that time. Sluicing & Panning is a back breaking exercise it's awesome when you get a bit of colour and keeps you going I think the best I have done is about half a gram ($40) for an entire day & that's the best day!
Detecting is a different story 9oz (best day being 1.2oz over 5 bits) last winter in QLD. About 4 months generally 6 days a week from sun up to sundown often in extremely challenging terrain. You'll need safety equipment including a GPS so you can find your car and your way back out of the bush back to camp.
This is a lifestyle for me & I love it & you could too if you don't make huge mistakes early and get totally disheartened. So head North in winter, maybe up to Clermont (no brass monkeys there) you can camp @ the BP for no cost, they even have showers you can use. I'll be there tomorrow night for about 10 days then heading north. (starting my season) have a friend there (Clermont) now in 6 days he's got 24gr.
Last year I was there for 3 days for 14gr be mindful most go there and find zero after 2 weeks or are happy with 2 or 3gr
To cover costs and living including fuel, car servicing and tyres that get shredded you realistically need about half an ounce a week.
FREE camping is a must (download Wikicamps app, it'll cost you less than $10 and will save you $1,000's) but you need to be set up for free camping Power & water being the 2 major hurdles so spend plenty on those two. Solar panels (the bigger the better 300w absolutely the minimum if you have a gas fridge, much more if it's a compressor fridge.
Lithium batteries are so much better it's a no brainer if you can stretch the budget & if you can't WHY ARE YOU GOING?
I'm not trying to turn you off because it's an awesome way to exist just trying to steer you in the right direction.
Good luck
You need lots of this
Good write up mate and best wishes for Your Season. Mackka

Nice to see you back Dave. Grew up in Oak Flats what seems like a lifetime ago and now in my 24th residence. Maybe one day , i will have the guts to do what you folk have done but i may not have the years left in me or maybe i do. Stay Safe and a Happy and Holy Easter to all. Mackka
i may not have the years left in me or maybe i do
There lies the exact reason to do it Makka as your a long time dead. Try and give yourself a base if possible then go. I'm dying but then so is everyone else o_O and my motivation was in that i refuse to leave this earth and all I have done is worked my ass off to then leave all I have worked for to some one else? Just doesn't make sense if you really think about it. I only have one regret in doing it and it's a big regret. I should have done it ten years earlier than I did :rolleyes:
To the OP's all I can say is plan it and be prepared to do it as a working holiday. You will have to be very lucky people to find enough gold to fund your travelling and living costs. Good luck and safe travels.

Selling up all you own and hitting the road is a serious adventure and reading between the lines you do not have a lot of resources behind you.
having already spent on a 4WD, a caravan, maybe this shouldn't be treated as some sort of holiday panning a few colours here or detecting a few nuggets there while you upskill yourself into the art of prospecting. After a while that can be seriously damaging to you resources, you will need money to support yourself while you do that.
I rather think that you should make a more serious decision to dedicate yourself to finding enough gold to live on and that I believe will mean WA. It is the dedicated who are willing to put their full efforts into finding gold that are the successful ones.
For that you will need a good detector - just don't skimp on that - a used 5000 can be bought for around $4000 at the moment and they hold their value very well.
In reality it shouldn't cost you much if anything more to head off the the WA goldfields than touring down the east coast. If you are ready to do that then you are ready to go to WA.
If you are thinking of one day being successful at gold prospecting give it your 100% effort now, the best months for WA prospecting are now here and if you wait it will be another year gone.
At the end of the day if your best shot has been unsuccessful, maybe then time for other decisions, you'll get your money back on the 5000, buy some fishing rods and do something else. Like anything in life give it your absolute best shot and don't die wondering.
Knowledge will also be your other requirement, so make friends on the journey and listen to good advice from trustworthy people.

Just thought I'd point out that matti69 that started this topic hasn't commented on any of the efforts people have put in for them since February 25th!
We're just talking amongst ourselves, maybe they decided they were making a life changing bad decision & have gone to lick their wounds and save up, let's follow their lead & give up on this topic

Yes, It is disappointing when posters seem to disappear after asking for help. Seems to happen a lot.
I'll give Matt and Cat the benefit that they may be on the road now and will catch up later with an acknowledgment and a post as to how, when and what they are up to.
Hopefully the opinions we have all taken the trouble to post may be helpful for others who may encounter the thread.

I don't think I'd venture west in a Disco 3 dragging a 1970's caravan.

But then I had no idea what I was doing when I first went west. I learned From my mistakes. That’s what giving it a go is all about. My mistake was not doing it earlier.

Latest posts