Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the Canola oil do to it Dave? I am guessing making it more springy. Wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about blacksmithing, a bit of a lost art.
g'day Bora68

All the Canola oil does when applied to the very warm metal it just gives the metal a nice coating and helps prevent rusting, use a vegetable oil on cooking and eating utensils, and I use Bees Wax on other things like the Blacksmith tongs I made and the S hooks, the Bees Wax when applied to the metal while still very warm, (emits smoke when applied) gives the metal a coating that also prevents rust and keeps the hinge rivet lubricated.

Your right about Blacksmithing, it is very interesting, just do it safely using eye protection and other safety gear, I built a gas forge for heating the metal, and there are plenty of Youtube videos showing and making things.

cheers dave

g'day Bora68

All the Canola oil does when applied to the very warm metal it just gives the metal a nice coating and helps prevent rusting, use a vegetable oil on cooking and eating utensils, and I use Bees Wax on other things like the Blacksmith tongs I made and the S hooks, the Bees Wax when applied to the metal while still very warm, (emits smoke when applied) gives the metal a coating that also prevents rust and keeps the hinge rivet lubricated.

Your right about Blacksmithing, it is very interesting, just do it safely using eye protection and other safety gear, I built a gas forge for heating the metal, and there are plenty of Youtube videos showing and making things.

cheers dave
Yes , thanks for clearing that up. I remember reading something about quenching hot metal in oil to produce a certain temper. Thats why i asked about the oil. Good items you've been making there. Cheers Bora

Yes , thanks for clearing that up. I remember reading something about quenching hot metal in oil to produce a certain temper. Thats why i asked about the oil. Good items you've been making there. Cheers Bora
That's right Bora, the hot oil quench is for things like Chisels and Punches and heaven forbid, Knives, Swords, and stuff that needs to keep a good strong sharp edge. These things are made from high carbon steel and can be hardened and tempered, steel used to make "Damascus" or pattern steel like layers of 1095 and 15n20 forge welded to gather and drawn out and cut and re stacked to get as many layers as you want, then make the item

other stuff made from mild steel that is not really able to he hardened I just use Bees Wax or a vegetable oil to keep the surface looking nice.

cheers dave

What does the Canola oil do to it Dave? I am guessing making it more springy. Wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about blacksmithing, a bit of a lost art.
Made a set of home fire tools at work when I bought my home in '93, quenched them in old gearbox oil. To this day there is not a speck of rust.

FireTools.jpg

excellent work Nightjar, I'm working on putting twists in 25x25x1.6 RHS and also putting a round neck in the same size RHS to see if it will work, so far so good, then try and turn them into something, maybe candle holders or the like.

Also working on a BBQ spatula (not finished yet) to go with the BBQ fork from the other day

20230227_095449.jpg
20230302_105733.jpg
cheers dave

I had a go at making/forging a Basket Twist Handle this morning the twist worked quite well but I did want a bigger scroll so as to be able to hang it up when I attach a fire poker to the other end.

I guess I can forge a bigger scroll and attach it as well, I mainly wanted to see if I could get the Basket Twist to work out and it seem like it did.

Basket Twist Handle
20230305_122042.jpg
20230305_122047.jpg
20230305_113716.jpg
cheers dave

have turned the Basket Twist Handle into a fire poker and I've got the fire poker finished, it turned out ok, it's 625mm end to end

I might make a couple of other fire tools like a shovel and a raker and see if I can get them to match with handles

Fire Poker
View attachment 8347
View attachment 8348
cheers dave

Looks like a lethal weapon 😂

Nice work.

Latest posts