Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished melting down some of the tiny stuff that the 6000 has been turning up. Decided to make a button that would end up being about 10 grams in weight.

4E6F307E-165D-4220-8546-1759FD7A6A24.jpeg
6D52E281-EF84-49DF-AB4D-60A3B5A4108F.jpeg
The gold was cleaned in acid, dried and added to a hollowed out potato with some borax.
54640DB7-04D6-4D45-BE27-647E4D4FC6D3.jpeg
The gold and flux mixture was then heated with the oxy until the button formed.
439F6ED5-3D07-4D7E-84F8-4137173D7109.jpeg
The button was then dropped into cold water which shattered the glassy flux. The gold was quite clean and the losses due to impurities was relatively low.
F55B0E93-2190-477C-B101-9A35A597E24B.jpeg
The button will eventually be melted with a few others to make a small bar.
CE4A80E6-359C-4DD0-982F-3A6819481BFA.jpeg

Just finished melting down some of the tiny stuff that the 6000 has been turning up. Decided to make a button that would end up being about 10 grams in weight.

View attachment 7922
View attachment 7923
The gold was cleaned in acid, dried and added to a hollowed out potato with some borax.
View attachment 7924
The gold and flux mixture was then heated with the oxy until the button formed.
View attachment 7925
The button was then dropped into cold water which shattered the glassy flux. The gold was quite clean and the losses due to impurities was relatively low.
View attachment 7926
The button will eventually be melted with a few others to make a small bar.
View attachment 7927
Just keep in mind if your thinking of selling, many gold buyers wont touch in this form

All valid points guys and well worth raising for those who are considering this. The other point to consider is the value of the gold in nugget form. Even small pieces such as the ones that I’ve melted down can have a slightly higher value than the button that was produced. It basically comes down to what you want to do with the gold.

All valid points guys and well worth raising for those who are considering this. The other point to consider is the value of the gold in nugget form. Even small pieces such as the ones that I’ve melted down can have a slightly higher value than the button that was produced. It basically comes down to what you want to do with the gold.

Yes Bogger has a point there. Not that I've ever sold to the Perth Mint but I'm told they'll buy nuggets at a nugget price without the assay expense. If your has been melted then you face an upfront assay cost which only makes it worth it if you have sufficient to sell to cover that cost. We've sold everything so far either privately or on Ebay but Ebay costs have gone through the roof so even the assay price doesn't look so bad anymore.

I melted some into little bars about five years ago and they came out looking very nice and sold well but buyers are getting more fearful of scams, at least I am.

The possibility of stolen gold jewellery having been melted down.
Yeah and some in the Central Vic area a number of years ago were adding impurities to boost the weight. I think the buyer in Ballarat got burnt as did the owner of old finders.
Back then some were even manufacturing nuggets. I saw one that one guy got sucked into buying and it was well done but fake.

Another quiet day at work. Decided to use up the scraps and make the daughter a mushrooming knife. Might have to work out how to make a folder.
I looked up our Aussie mushrooms, as well as other things in the past few years.
From my time bush with my father who went through the depression yrs and showed me stuff. I got a book several months ago that had a lot of Aussie things to survive.
I got it in a cool little book shop in Maldon. Lots I knew from my Dad, but some were "oh, really! Ok!" We here have some mushrooms that are really close and virtually have the same properties as those from China that are, Im not on it right now, but those that prey on things in the ground and are super medicinal!
I did my homework when Covid came out.
Anyway, not trying to be non this or that. .
I'll leave it there.

Of course you have to weigh up the fun factor of melting your gold ;)
When, I'll emphasise WHEN 😅 I find enough. I'll be melting it for the simple reason I'll make or get made a keep sake. I just don't get the time to find enough to warrant selling to make a return, if or when it changes I'll keep the selling information in mind 👍

I looked up our Aussie mushrooms, as well as other things in the past few years.
From my time bush with my father who went through the depression yrs and showed me stuff. I got a book several months ago that had a lot of Aussie things to survive.
I got it in a cool little book shop in Maldon. Lots I knew from my Dad, but some were "oh, really! Ok!" We here have some mushrooms that are really close and virtually have the same properties as those from China that are, Im not on it right now, but those that prey on things in the ground and are super medicinal!
I did my homework when Covid came out.
Anyway, not trying to be non this or that. .
I'll leave it there.
She’s all good. Knows her shrooms. Learnt off the old man. We only pick field , slippery jacks, and saffron milk caps. I know there are others but I’m not going there. She’s done a course as well but still sticks to what she knows.

She’s all good. Knows her shrooms. Learnt off the old man. We only pick field , slippery jacks, and saffron milk caps. I know there are others but I’m not going there. She’s done a course as well but still sticks to what she knows.
Ok now here you have my interest. My book shows Slippery Jacks to eat. For years and years id see them and think "nah no way"
After the last floods I saw many, especially when I went fishing at Teddington res and Laanacoorie seeing them around the pines. They look horrid! But my bush tucker book I got says Good stuff! What do they taste like and how do you cook them? Like everyday mushrooms?

ide have to say that there not good to eat and wouldn’t recommend them.
Reason being I’m sure you know what is what but I don’t know that so will not be giving any advice but for steer clear of any wild mushrooms.
Hi, I got this book about a yr ago in a book shop in Maldon.
In the section on mushrooms and fungis that are edible it say Slipoery Jack are ok.

Latest posts