Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a go at doing a Chevron Twist for a handle this morning, it worked quite well, and happy with the way it turned out. The forge is getting a good workout now 😁

I have not decided what to put on the other end yet. 🤔

Chevron Twist handle
View attachment 8377
View attachment 8378
View attachment 8379
cheers dave

Not sure how long that Chevron Twist handle is but with a case-hardened right angled spike at the bottom end it would make a magnificent crevicing tool.

Not sure how long that Chevron Twist handle is but with a case-hardened right angled spike at the bottom end it would make a magnificent crevicing tool.
the actual Chevron Twist part is 100mm and it is 220mm long from top of hook to the 10mm square bottom end,

Is what your saying is put another hook type end and make a crevice type tool ???

cheers dave

I made up this Trivet to sit the fry pan and things on while there hot straight off the stove, Veronica spotted it on a youtube video and thought it would be good so I reckoned I'd have a go at making it

Plenty of use for the forge in this project, heating and bending etc, and tweaking and fiddling to get the three parts of it to fit together.

The Trivet
20230310_113610.jpg
20230310_113804.jpg
cheers dave

Looks great mate. question- wouldn't the heat from a hot frying pan straight off the stove transfer the heat to the device or is the design designed to dissipate the heat? Mackka
yes, me not being in the kitchen with hot frypans and the like, I think the idea is to be able to sit the hot pans etc on the trivet and not straight on the bench tops and the trivet has a good air gap down to the bench top.

cheers dave

yes, me not being in the kitchen with hot frypans and the like, I think the idea is to be able to sit the hot pans etc on the trivet and not straight on the bench tops and the trivet has a good air gap down to the bench top.

cheers dave
Yeah, it depends on how you serve food. Some people serve food on the table. This means the saucepans and pots are placed on the table, and everyone helps themselves. Trivits are the key for this.

I made up this Trivet to sit the fry pan and things on while there hot straight off the stove, Veronica spotted it on a youtube video and thought it would be good so I reckoned I'd have a go at making it

Plenty of use for the forge in this project, heating and bending etc, and tweaking and fiddling to get the three parts of it to fit together.

The Trivet
View attachment 8413
View attachment 8414
cheers dave

My brother started out his boiler making apprenticeship, about 55 years ago, making wrought iron hand railing. For repeat bending of items such as this they set a jig up a bit like a pegboard so that you could pull the scrolls around the pegs and repeat the same design many times over. I love your work.

I cut this bit of wood from the log on Thursday evening and turned it yesterday morning. I gave it a splash of lanolin and left it in the lathe to dry. The moisture has dropped from 27% to 11% in a day so I don't think it'll change shape much after another hot day sitting there.

Bowl moisture.jpg

It developed cracks between Thursday night and Friday morning but the hairline cracks haven't changed since I finished turning it. I left the centre in for the moment just to make sure it stays in the chuck while I finish dressing it.

My brother started out his boiler making apprenticeship, about 55 years ago, making wrought iron hand railing. For repeat bending of items such as this they set a jig up a bit like a pegboard so that you could pull the scrolls around the pegs and repeat the same design many times over. I love your work.
this one is not mine MB but was the one your brother made something like this

hook jig.JPG

this one is not mine MB but was the one your brother made something like this

View attachment 8449

Yes that's the same thing although I'm pretty sure they only had it setup on a bigger flat plate with various shapes able to be formed and repeated many times over as you can imagine with wrought iron hand railing.

I cut this bit of wood from the log on Thursday evening and turned it yesterday morning. I gave it a splash of lanolin and left it in the lathe to dry. The moisture has dropped from 27% to 11% in a day so I don't think it'll change shape much after another hot day sitting there.

View attachment 8425

It developed cracks between Thursday night and Friday morning but the hairline cracks haven't changed since I finished turning it. I left the centre in for the moment just to make sure it stays in the chuck while I finish dressing it.
I like it MB, built in wine glass, be able to slurp and gulp at same time.

Our boss employed and oldtimer blacksmith back in my apprenticeship days. At that time the NW iron ore boom was taking off and the company was building steel building/housing frames for the townsites springing up. Tom Price etc.
With all the lug welding on the beams the end result was bending. This clever old bugger while not using a forge but using a oxy 4 burner he heated the beams in certain parts and quenched with water straightening the bends in the beams.
Footnote: This was all achieved with a regular sip from his bottle of whisky stashed in the coke/coal barrel. (Not coca-cola for you young ones) Can you imagine this happening in todays f'd up world?

The Trivet
View attachment 8413
View attachment 8414
cheers dave
Great piece of work. Reckon you could market a lot of your projects. Pretty unique.

Our boss employed and oldtimer blacksmith back in my apprenticeship days. At that time the NW iron ore boom was taking off and the company was building steel building/housing frames for the townsites springing up. Tom Price etc.
With all the lug welding on the beams the end result was bending. This clever old bugger while not using a forge but using a oxy 4 burner he heated the beams in certain parts and quenched with water straightening the bends in the beams.
Footnote: This was all achieved with a regular sip from his bottle of whisky stashed in the coke/coal barrel. (Not coca-cola for you young ones) Can you imagine this happening in todays f'd up world?
yep Nightjar, we used that same technique (heat shrinking) when building "A" trailer sub frames, the bottom flange was thicker than the top flange and caused a curve when the web was fully welded in, heat shrink in the correct places and it's back to straight again.

Heat caused the curve in the first place so use heat it fix it.

Also on crashed livestock trailers this was used to straighten the not to bent sides of the trailers, wont work if the metal has a kink in it though.

Some heat applied to the outside of a curve in the metal works wonders

cheers dave

Latest posts