Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had a crack at making a sun drier for a surplus of tomatoes that have come up where the kitchen scraps were chucked out. It seems to work ok and takes about two days to get them to the right moisture content. Designed to get a bit of convection air flow under the payne of glass.
Yesterdays effort. Lentern Rose.View attachment 8213
Beautiful artwork there.

Have had a crack at making a sun drier for a surplus of tomatoes that have come up where the kitchen scraps were chucked out. It seems to work ok and takes about two days to get them to the right moisture content. Designed to get a bit of convection air flow under the payne of glass.

Beautiful artwork there.
Got any pics of the dryer, sounds interesting. I'm also curious about the right moisture content, how do you determine the moisture.

16773959388926683243639600561616.jpg
Got any pics of the dryer, sounds interesting. I'm also curious about the right moisture content, how do you determine the moisture.
I eventually have got a picture up of the slanted box RM. My first go at getting a photo on so not attached to the original post by the looks.
As far as the moisture goes it is a bit of trial and error. I just keep checking until they seem right. If you leave them too long they go leathery so take out when still slightly plump.
I put them in a jar with olive oil and French dressing. At the start of drying use some salt pepper or bit of garlic salt.
Goes great with a Jatz and cheeze.

View attachment 8220

I eventually have got a picture up of the slanted box RM. My first go at getting a photo on so not attached to the original post by the looks.
As far as the moisture goes it is a bit of trial and error. I just keep checking until they seem right. If you leave them too long they go leathery so take out when still slightly plump.
I put them in a jar with olive oil and French dressing. At the start of drying use some salt pepper or bit of garlic salt.
Thanks for sharing 👍 well done 👏

View attachment 8220

Great idea to save an abundance of tomatoes but flies and other creepy crawlies would be a concern?

Great idea to save an abundance of tomatoes but flies and other creepy crawlies would be a concern?
No , the flies and ants havent been a problem as yet. We have millions of tiny ants around but i could have been lucky so far as they haven't found them yet. I put salt, pepper n a bit of garlic on to discourage pests as well.

I had a go at making the BBQ meat fork this morning, forged it out of a piece of 25x5 flat bar, it's a heavy duty one, like the Flintstones for flipping Bronto Burger Steaks,

It won't break in a hurry, brushed with Canola Oil to finish it while still smoking hot.
View attachment 8237
cheers dave
What does the Canola oil do to it Dave? I am guessing making it more springy. Wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about blacksmithing, a bit of a lost art.

Latest posts