Tasmania information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, thanks for the resources posted above. My mum lives in Tassie, so my next visit I'm taking the pans and sluice.

I will be near Launceston, looking for short trips out for a day at a time. Denison, Lisle, St Patrics area is close and a fairly large field by the looks of it. Can anyone reccomend some nice creeks there to pan/sluice for alluvial?

Where can I pick up local rules and regulations? Do I need a licence there?

Baz.

Gday, plenty of rules and regulations down here in Tassie! The mrt website sets most of them out and also has a link to the listmap which shows all the mineral occurrences in tassie. Any creek up around Lisle will have fine gold and the occasional little sapphire in it but if you want to send me a pm I'll let you know some of the better ones. I'm in beaconsfield.

Hi Guys,

I moved down to Tassie (Hobart) a couple of years ago for a tree change and im keen to get back into detecting/sluicing down here. Is anyone able to tell me if it's legal to use a highbanker sluice in Tassie? ive seen and read some conflicting things. Id like to hit up the Styx river as its not to far from and looks beautiful.

Thanks Joel

Hi Guys,

Think i just found the answer to my question on highbaker...negative 8.( . But anyway if anyone is keen to show me to ropes on prospecting around the southern Tassie area (I'm in Dromedary) id be stoked. I've got most basic tools a 4x4, AT Gold detector and a couple of pans!

Thanks Joel

Planning a 3-4 week trip around Tassie ! Ill be taking the GPX 6000 of course.
Ive looked at the available info and literally 100's of alluvial sites listed.
Any recommendations guys of a few general areas worth a swing with the detector. Not interested in panning.

Bigrob said:
Planning a 3-4 week trip around Tassie ! Ill be taking the GPX 6000 of course.
Ive looked at the available info and literally 100's of alluvial sites listed.
Any recommendations guys of a few general areas worth a swing with the detector. Not interested in panning.

Most of the gold we seek with the metal detector is alluvial gold so some of these sites might give you what you're looking for.

Anywhere between Savage River and Corrinna is worth a look. Just look for the thickest, steepest leach infested spots where nobody else would go!
Mathinna/Mangana had some bushfires go through last year so might be a bit easier to get around, but still steep.
Hellyer, Cam and St Marys rivers if the water is low.

Dave79 said:
Anywhere between Savage River and Corrinna is worth a look. Just look for the thickest, steepest leach infested spots where nobody else would go!
Mathinna/Mangana had some bushfires go through last year so might be a bit easier to get around, but still steep.
Hellyer, Cam and St Marys rivers if the water is low.

Take care around Savage River- Corrinna (a large area is restricted).

Mostly the savage river end.....and Grange has got cameras around the golden ridge area of their lease. Browns plains, most of Middleton Creek and rocky river area are all fair game.

Latest posts