Almandine Garnet + Pyrite cubes from Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have already asked this same question on the aussie lapidary forum and am asking again here to see if anyone from this forum can answer.
I have found a location known for almandine garnets over near Wangaratta and was wondering if anyone knows about this place.
Concerning the pyrite, I got some helpful answers on the other forum about where to find pyrite cubes. It was suggested that I try to gain access to the Pyrenees Quarry in Castlemaine. I was also told to search through old mullock heaps.
Does anyone know about either of these locations or any other specific localities to find these minerals?
Thanks,
Manficat :)

Hello everyone,
I have already asked this same question on the aussie lapidary forum and am asking again here to see if anyone from this forum can answer.
I have found a location known for almandine garnets over near Wangaratta and was wondering if anyone knows about this place.
Concerning the pyrite, I got some helpful answers on the other forum about where to find pyrite cubes. It was suggested that I try to gain access to the Pyrenees Quarry in Castlemaine. I was also told to search through old mullock heaps.
Does anyone know about either of these locations or any other specific localities to find these minerals?
Thanks,
Manficat :)

My Lady Franklin near Barnawartha is where you can find garnets. Not sure of the persons name to contact for access though. The fossicking is on top of the mountain in large rocks facing opposite side to the freeway.

Latest posts