Tasmania information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys

i am in Tasmania at the moment and next week i am in the launceston area. Does anyone know a few spots for gold panning or maybe sluicing up there?

i am thankful for every answer:)

Cheers M&M

Hi guys,

If I were you I'd head up to Lisle, which is 30-45 minutes from Launceston, off the Lilydale road. It's just south of Golconda. With this rain there ought to be plenty of water in the creeks.

Sapphires. Might be a little gold but Mfdes works it a lot. Lisle is on the way to the Weld River via Scotsdale.

Hi Marimitch,

There is gold along the whole length of the Ringarooma, but I've never come across any in the Weld. Supposedly further downstream in the Wyniford, near where it joins the Ringarooma, there were both sapphires and gold. I haven't looked in there much, and when I have I didn't have any luck.

Hey Marimitch, you can use Google to search the MRT website, using the syntax "site:mrt.tas.gov.au search term", i.e. site:mrt.tas.gov.au alluvial gold

Hope this helps.

Alright, I'll kick this off.

The majority of goldfields in Tasmania are either in the north/northeast or the west coast.

The largest producing mine was the Tasmania Mine at Beaconsfield, near Launceston (over 1 million ounces historically, I think about the same again in the last 20 years until it closed). The largest alluvial field was Lisle, 200,000 ounces of alluvial, no mines to speak of. The origin of the gold at Lisle is still debated.

In the northeast the major fields were Mangana, Mathinna, Dan Rivulet, Alberton, Warrentinna, Forester, Lyndhurst/Waterhouse, Gladstone, Lefroy, Back Creek, The Den, The Glen, and minor finds around Mt Arthur. The west coast had a lot of small workings, but the main areas were Corinna/Long Plains, Mt Read/Ring River area, Queenstown area, Jane River area, and Mt Darwin area.

There was a minor rush in Cygnet/Channel area around 1900, and minor gold has been produced from Adamsfield, the Styx and Weld valleys, the Esperance, Lune, D'Entrecasteaux and Catamaran Rivers.

There is some good info in the Mineral Resources Tasmania library, which is online-searchable. I like to use Google to search it, using the search string: site:mrt.tas.gov.au <search terms here> (without the chevrons). The main resources to get started would be:

Gold in Tasmania by Ralph Bottrill: http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominfo/download/GSB70_24_46/GSB70_24_46.pdf
Alluvial Gold also by Ralph Bottrill: http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominfo/download/GSMR11_2/GSMR11_2.pdf

You can also put MRTmap (http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrt_maps/app/list/map) to good use. The mapping engine allows you to overlay mineral occurrences, as well as tenements, and links back to tenement details, so you can arrange your permissions more easily.

Hi everyone hope we are all doing well, so here I am in tassie, bought my go find 40 with me but am so confused about the rules and regs, licenses etc for down here, so think it will just stay in the car and wonder what could have been.
on a brighter note Tasmania is such a great part of the world, if you haven't been here before it really is worth a stop past and look around, so much to see and do
Cheers all have a great day
Jamie

G'day Jamie , been three times with another trip planned in the next twelve months,
Awesome place .
Didn't take a detector previously. ( didn't have one).
Cheers Scott

Bit of an update, after sitting and thinking about not letting the chance go by the wayside I made a few phone calls to minerals resources tas and the local council and was given the OK to use my detector without a mrt prospecting license as I wasn't looking for gold or minerals, wasn't staying for an extended time and was doing it on a public beach, so I was pretty happy about that.
So after an hour or so of detecting the beach I can stay Tasmania has the cleanest beaches I have ever seen, I found one bottle cap lol but I can say I have detected in tassie
Cheers guys and have a great day
Jamie

It's great to read about the Golden Triangle in Vic, fossicking areas in NSW and the couple of fossicking places in Qld...there doesn't seem to be much ever said about Tassie... cant believe there is not some gold in that beautiful place...or have our Greeny friends (?) be successful in banning all prospecting there? :)

Mike i am very new to all this but yes there is gold to be found, mostly NE or West Coast from what i have read. Also if i am to judge from my readings, the West coast gold is hard to find without a very long walk. I am determined to find some in the South where i am living. The is a smattering of old mine sites about but nothing much really. I was taken out recently in the Channel area, thats say Cygnet/Kettering area and we scratched out some floury stuff with some small pickers. Nothing much but colour in every pan. So it can be done i guess. As to the greenies.... Dont mention them down here.

Latest posts