Access to the Palmer River?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I'm itching to get out of Cairns and go find some gold, and I'm wondering about getting access to the Palmer River. I have a couple of questions: 1) would my Forrester handle the road out there at this time of the year? And (if so) 2) who do I contact about camping out there? On the web I see info from a few years ago but nothing current. I'm sure I could look a bit harder though. I just figured someone here would be in the know. Otherwise maybe Western Creek or Flat Creek station? I'm open to any suggestions. I'd love to up my game a bit and come away with some gold. I only have the VLF so I look for bedrock mainly and I'd be doing a bit of panning too. Looking into getting a sluice/high banker combo to get a bit more serious in the near future. Thanks for any replies or tips on station access.

It really depends on how much you love your Forester.

If it is a show pony then it wont be by the time you get back.

Not saying it will be trashed but whilst Whites Road to Palmerville Gold is a public road and the Forester will manage it ok, once you are there then it will be quite limited in where it can go on the station tracks, especially if it is not lifted or still has normal road tyres.

Western Creek is WAY easier to get around in a Forester.

It really depends on how much you love your Forester.

If it is a show pony then it wont be by the time you get back.

Not saying it will be trashed but whilst Whites Road to Palmerville Gold is a public road and the Forester will manage it ok, once you are there then it will be quite limited in where it can go on the station tracks, especially if it is not lifted or still has normal road tyres.

Western Creek is WAY easier to get around in a Forester.
Thanks for the info mate. Might be Western Creek after all.

Latest posts