Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nugget , I believe almost all recorded snake bites are below the knee ie 90%+, except for an unlucky few. Would be just my luck deep in a hole somewhere and getting bitten on the forehead. Ive had a tiger snake swim up river almost between my legs while trout fishing, pretty docile when in the water. Had a guy tell me similar story snorkeling for gold in a river...looked up an snake was 6 inches from his head but just moved away from him and swam up stream!

snakeman said:
1 - Those gators do protectect against snake bite.
We tested them here on death adders and taipans and none of their fangs penetrated.
2 - Snakes usually only bite if attacked with a shovel or picked up with tongs.
The rest of the time they are pretty placid.
3 - In the image in my avatar I am holding four inland taipans and a coastal one. The inland taipan is the world's
most deadly snake and as you can see, that lot didn't kill me!
All the best
Now if you were ever going to have a "selfie" as an avatar that would be it.
Nice work snakeman :D

Hey snakeman, did you read my spread about getting "BLOTTO" on grog to slow your heart rate down to survive a snake bite!!!!!!
just wondering if it would work thats all...........................bit a feed back would be nice.................im just not sure if carrying around a bottle of 100 pipers in my detecting kit is worth it. :(
Seriously though...... :)

Nugget said:
Can anyone tell me if our snakes commonly strike above knee height on a standing person?

The reason I ask is that I usually wear a pair of knee high Quagmire Canvas Gaiters http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/gaiters/quagmire-canvas-gaiters/ which have been great, but I'm wondering if this enough protection and if I should upgrade to full length snake-proof chaps.

Hey Nugget. How're they hangin?

The reason I ask is about 35 years ago I was walking across some short grass, and a bloody great Brown Snake had a go. If I hadn't been able to swat him away with the tennis racquet I was carrying in my swinging hand at the time, he woulda got me in the family jewels.
I've been told that Taipans have a striking distance as far as the length of their body. I'd say you're never going to be completely safe, but hell, knee highs will certainly help.

Cheers, Ron.

Reason why I am so out spoken I was bitten twice under the right arm between my elbow and arm pit by a small eastern brown. (Fang marks with teeth and testing)
First hit was a warning strike. Second I was envenomed. Went through hell that night without knowing what happened as I did not feel it. I was wearing a flannelette shirt at that.
Yes, I know, I went and bought a lottery ticket.
The area under my arm was all bruised and I still have the vestiges of subcutaneous wrinkling from it.
I do not endorse carrying a bottle of scotch around but I had had 3 beers and when I was sitting up in the chair I had a heart rate of 130 , dry metallic taste in my mouth and a head ache. I put it at the time that I had over done myself and should not drink NSW Beer from a can. LOL
I am told that if I would have gone to bed and lain down, There was a damn good chance I would have not got up again.
It shocked me badly as I have stated I have done a reasonable amount of snake handling with a pro and I was not aware of what was going on.
Thanks for that Snakeman, I will obtain a good set of gaiters as I can not find my old leather ones. It's great to have someone like you on hear mate.
Only thing I really worry about down here in South Coast NSW is of course, Death Adders. Nasty little Buggers.

Nugget said:
I appreciate your input snakeman and welcome to the forum. I have to say, the word of a guy holding 4-5 live snakes holds great value on such a topic and you've certainly made me feel a little more confident in my gaiters.

I take it you work with snakes as your profession?

Snakeman hasn't actually stated if the snakes he is holding are live or dead. It would be great if he could clarify that. :p

When he said that lot didn't kill him I just assumed they were alive, but yes clarification would be great.

I was kinda thinking that if snakes could rear up higher, I'ld go down the local cricket club and get a "box".

If sucking the poison out was a supposed first aid, it would avoid finding out just how much your mates thought of you !!!!!

:eek: :lol:

The old joke from Billy cokebottle and Mort.
Billy and Mort are out in the bush camping. Mort saws ''I'm going for a slash Billy.'' a couple of minutes later, Mort
come running back and says '' hey Billy, a big black snake bit me on me old fella, what am I gonna do ?
Billy says'' don't worry Mort, i'll get on the two way to the flying doc. meanwhile Mort is running around in great pain.
the flying doc explains that the only option is to suck the poison out or he will die.'' what did the doc say Billy ? asks Mort ''
''well, I'm afraid you're gonna die Mort''. :|

Making noise and hoping they run away won't help because they are deaf and have no legs to run with :D.....

Butt seriously gold miners should watch their ass!!!
As it's the closes to the ground when panning :D......

dwt said:
Hey snakeman, did you read my spread about getting "BLOTTO" on grog to slow your heart rate down to survive a snake bite!!!!!!
just wondering if it would work thats all...........................bit a feed back would be nice.................im just not sure if carrying around a bottle of 100 pipers in my detecting kit is worth it. :(

dwt, I'm no Dr, and much as I like your suggestion of gettin a few drinks into oneself to relax after being bitten, I would have thought that because alcohol thins the blood it would make the venom travel faster through the body. I guess if I knew I was done for, I would go out happy and slurring though! :D
And punish the bugga that did me in!!!! :mad:

Billy said:
dwt said:

dwt, I'm no Dr, and much as I like your suggestion of gettin a few drinks into oneself to relax after being bitten, I would have thought that because alcohol thins the blood it would make the venom travel faster through the body. I guess if I knew I was done for, I would go out happy and slurring though! :D

Agreed, plus, alcohol is not the answer for snake bite or any other injury, particularly if subsequent medical treatment includes drugs or an operation.

Re noise, snakes don't hear as we do, but they can sense movement and the vibration that noise makes, akin to hearing but far more sensitive.

condor22 said:
Billy said:
dwt said:

Agreed, plus, alcohol is not the answer for snake bite or any other injury, particularly if subsequent medical treatment includes drugs or an operation.

Re noise, snakes don't hear as we do, but they can sense movement and the vibration that noise makes, akin to hearing but far more sensitive.

Uuuum, twas actually meant as a bit of a gag :lol:, probarbly didnt put in enough " :lol: "
here goes...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, that should do it........one more :lol:,there we go :8
Sorry, didnt actually mean for anyone to take it to serious though :|

These bandages are essential equipment but we need to be aware they are an elastic product which will deteriorate over time and need to be replaced periodically. I can't find the shelf-life. Don't store in the glovebox (oven).
They may be good for only one use in the critical snake bite situation & I reckon life is worth more than $20. Washing, take care with harsh detergents.
Oh, mine is now 8 years old, I'll have to replace it, would have forgotten but for these posts.

To be able to give effective first aid for a snake bite (as mentioned) you need two of the stretchy wide compression bandages to go up and then down a limb.

I always carry 2 of them in my detecting pack. I have put them in vacuum sealed food bags (bag in a bag) to protect them from wear and tear for a long time. I have also vacuum sealed a small first aid kit and keep it in the pack.
Cheers RDD

PS Detecting in the tablelands you can always come across snakes that are elevated on creek banks and ledges etc. This is where I pay particular attention when climbing around detecting in summer.

slowflow said:
These bandages are essential equipment but we need to be aware they are an elastic product which will deteriorate over time and need to be replaced periodically. I can't find the shelf-life. Don't store in the glovebox (oven).
They may be good for only one use in the critical snake bite situation & I reckon life is worth more than $20. Washing, take care with harsh detergents.
Oh, mine is now 8 years old, I'll have to replace it, would have forgotten but for these posts.

Modern crepe bandages have no elastic in them (generally Latex, which some people are allergic to.)

The material used to make a crepe bandage is usually cotton, cotton mixed with wool, or cotton mixed with rayon. The fabric is made of a plain weave in which two folded, crepe twisted cotton threads form the warp, and a mix of cotton and wool threads or cotton and rayon threads form the weft.

Also the expiry date of a dressing is normally associated with its sterility. The Setopress I have are exp 10/17, but not used and in their original package they will last twice that time.

Its amazing the amount of people you talk to that are out there in the scrub walking through the leaf litter ,long grass and the scubby stuff and have no bandaging and absolutely no idea of the do's and donts after a strike.A little while back I had a run in wth a inland taipan up corner country, a beautiful 6 footer in louminous golden yellow wth a deep copper brown head, he was in his best colours and probably out lookin for a lady, anyway I was down on my knees for 10 mins digging out a old rusty belt buckle when he snuck up on me and he could have easily bit me on the rear,after I composed myself went to the car and got the camera for a few photos and heres the real scary part he moved into a small bush 2ft wide and high and completely disappeared, he was in that little bit of scrubby veg and could not see him at all,
The taipan can hit you repeatably in the blink of an eye and if hes given you a good dose you've got around 45 mins. If you've got no knowledge and no bandages when you get a good hit from a venomous snake your in serious trouble ,so kit up and have a read so you know what to do, phill

detecta2 said:
Its amazing the amount of people you talk to that are out there in the scrub walking through the leaf litter ,long grass and the scubby stuff and have no bandaging and absolutely no idea of the do's and donts after a strike.A little while back I had a run in wth a inland taipan up corner country, a beautiful 6 footer in louminous golden yellow wth a deep copper brown head, he was in his best colours and probably out lookin for a lady, anyway I was down on my knees for 10 mins digging out a old rusty belt buckle when he snuck up on me and he could have easily bit me on the rear,after I composed myself went to the car and got the camera for a few photos and heres the real scary part he moved into a small bush 2ft wide and high and completely disappeared, he was in that little bit of scrubby veg and could not see him at all,
The taipan can hit you repeatably in the blink of an eye and if hes given you a good dose you've got around 45 mins. If you've got no knowledge and no bandages when you get a good hit from a venomous snake your in serious trouble ,so kit up and have a read so you know what to do, phill

Would like to see you put a compression bandage on "your rear". Me thinks the 45 min would be best spent kissing it goodbye. :p

Latest posts