Should there be a requirement for a prospecting ticket?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The remote nature of prospecting makes it inheriently risky, even when with a friend or group. Should there be a requirement for a prospecting ticket, similar to a skippers ticket?

It would be free and you could apply for online, it would be a one off. To get the ticket you would have to complete some online training about the legislation and safety requirements, there would be a requirement for safety equipment such as a Personal Locator Beacon or satellite device with an emergency message / SOS option. On completion of the course / ticket you could get a discount for one of these devices or be able to have some of the costs refunded. Property owners and police could ask to see your ticket, and there may be a fine if you are prospecting and don't have one.

I am from WA and hear of horror stories of prospectors new and experienced taking only a mobile phone for their communication and directions and not bringing enough water for an emergency. It is tragic when prospectors go missing, and it uses paid and volunteer emergency services time and energy and deaths from people being unprepared are preventable.

NO, just buy and use/have ready a PLB (personal locator Beacon) and have that with you, these are available to anyone that goes camping boating prospecting etc

It's not rocket science to use a PLB and you don't need training to use one, if you can read, the instructions are on it. You can't save people from themselves.

Try to make things fool proof and fools use them or don't use them as the case may be

I think everyone with a Prospectors Licence should have to have a in date PLB or EPIRB.
If you can't afford the $350 for one you have no business being outback.
Fines should apply if not being carried.
Sick of hearing of deaths that could have been avoided.

I think everyone with a Prospectors Licence should have to have a in date PLB or EPIRB.
If you can't afford the $350 for one you have no business being outback.
Fines should apply if not being carried.
Sick of hearing of deaths that could have been avoided.
don't just pick out prospectors mate, there are plenty of others that use the outback, and well maybe they are more sensible and have a PLB with them, who knows, and don't start talking about fines and shit there are way to may of these now, everything is turning into a nanny state/kindergarten, just that people now need to take responsibility for their own actions

More regulations and beaurocracy , no thanks
What regulations do prospectors face in WA?
1. Have a Miners Right (10 or 15 bucks)
2. Don't go on ground that legally belongs to someone else and there are ways around this.
Seems to be fairly unregulated to me.
One life is worth much more than you all digging into your pockets for a couple of hundred bucks.

So, tell me what are these oppressive regulations and bureaucracy?

Last edited:
The question was ...Should there be a requirement for a prospecting ticket, similar to a skippers ticket?
No.. that would require government to create regulations and a beaurocracy to administer teach test and issue licences.
Should people educate them selves about safe strategies and practices whilst prospecting in remote and inhospitable areas ?
Yes
Should people avail themselves of commercially available safety equipment such as personal locator beacons ?
Probably , it would depend on a myriad of individual circumstances..

You stated "More regulations and bureaucracy , no thanks"
I ask what Regulations and bureaucracy are you referring to?
Prospecting is very unregulated and maybe some regulations would make it safer.

So state what regulations and what bureaucracy is upsetting You ??
Or don't comment on the matter.

You replied straight after me with "More regulations and beaurocracy , no thanks"
Cant you name what regulation upsets you?
Is it the once in a lifetime Miners Right or that you can't go on to someone else's property?

The question was ...Should there be a requirement for a prospecting ticket, similar to a skippers ticket?
No.. that would require government to create regulations and a beaurocracy to administer teach test and issue licences. :rolleyes:

Should people educate them selves about safe strategies and practices whilst prospecting in remote and inhospitable areas ?
Yes
Should people avail themselves of commercially available safety equipment such as personal locator beacons ?
Probably , it would depend on a myriad of individual circumstance...
.Should there be a requirement for a prospecting ticket, similar to a skippers ticket?
No.. that would require government to create regulations and a beaurocracy to administer teach test and issue licences.

So you can't name one regulation or act of bureaucracy related to prospecting that annoys you?
Keep your tin foil hat on.

So you can't name one regulation or act of bureaucracy related to prospecting that annoys you?
Keep your tin foil hat on.
Aries , It seems you dont have the comprehension skills to understand my point .
So here goes.
There is no current regulation that annoy me but to introduce similar regulations and an administrative beaurocracy to administer new (MORE) regulations such as those required to gain a Skippers licence , I say.. no thanks Pretty simple ;)
Here is what is required to obtain a skippers ticket in WA
https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/how-to-get-an-rst.asp

Last edited:
Its your comprehension skills that are lacking , I stated,
"I think everyone with a Prospectors Licence should have to have a in date PLB or EPIRB."
I said nothing about a course.
And I think the above should be enforced, most probably would have saved two lives last week and many others over the previous years.

Apla provide a navigation and gps training day every year for members, by coincidence just got an email the other day.
It would be interesting knowing the whole story of the Meeka fellows and if they had any navigation gear, using phone apps or just winging it.
It makes me wonder how many people simply rely on trilobite rather than a gps.
A prospecting ticket won’t make a person carry a plb. The owner of the plb needs to make themself carry it.
Hopefully 5gAdvanced is only around the corner then the sat phone can get disconnected.

Its your comprehension skills that are lacking , I stated,
"I think everyone with a Prospectors Licence should have to have a in date PLB or EPIRB."
I said nothing about a course.
And I think the above should be enforced, most probably would have saved two lives last week and many others over the previous years.
you assume a lot mate, you would need to have said PLB inspected by an approved person to make sure the said campers/prospectors were indeed having a PLB in their vehicle, and when these same people get to their camp site and go out exploring/prospecting is there someone their to make sure they take the PLB from vehicle and carry it in their backpack, which would also mean that each and every person in the camp has to have a PLB as they are not all going to explore side by side.

It all comes down to take responsibility for your own actions.

And yes we have two (2) PLB's which we take with us and we also make sure the details or the PLB registration are upto date that way if in fact you get lost or vehicle is broken down and have no other way of communication at least the searchers can know who and in what state in Australia they are meant to be looking

G'day AmberBC welcome to PA, I noticed you've recently joined and to date have 2 posts. There's no such thing as a dumb question, unless it's completely dumb from the get go right, not that I'm referring to your questions.

With regard to this question you definitely need to do your research and invest quite a few thousand dollars to completely understand the answers to your own question here.

I couldn't help but notice your moniker beginning and ending with capital letters 🤔 ABC 🤔 Call me cynical if you like however your question/s do seem to have a left flavour and nil understanding of prospecting as a whole. Which is the exact reason I am questioning what exactly it is you are interested in 🤔 I'm interested to hear from you and will whole heartedly offer an apology should I need to.
Ambers first post gave the feeling she’s related to the Kehlets?

you assume a lot mate, you would need to have said PLB inspected by an approved person to make sure the said campers/prospectors were indeed having a PLB in their vehicle, and when these same people get to their camp site and go out exploring/prospecting is there someone their to make sure they take the PLB from vehicle and carry it in their backpack, which would also mean that each and every person in the camp has to have a PLB as they are not all going to explore side by side.

It all comes down to take responsibility for your own actions.

And yes we have two (2) PLB's which we take with us and we also make sure the details or the PLB registration are upto date that way if in fact you get lost or vehicle is broken down and have no other way of communication at least the searchers can know who and in what state in Australia they are meant to be looking
You assumed wrongly and that's what you come back with?
All I proposed is that anyone getting a miners right (prospecting licence) has to show their AMSA registration for a PLB or EPIRB. Simple.
They all have expiry dates and when it expires you would have to provide evidence of a new one or new battery fitted. Simple
If you don't have a current one they should take your miners right off you.
A life saved for less than the cost of a 4wd tyre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts