Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a read of the Victorian rescue website before you buy the St johns kit to ensure it will be the best in a snake bite emergency.
Nugget :lol: :lol:

Been looking around and does any one have a set of these?
http://snakeprotex.com.au/
These appear to be the best I can find and I like the part about been tested against some of our very well liked scaly friends.
Any Comments people???.

Tathradj said:
These appear to be the best I can find and I like the part about been tested against some of our very well liked scaly friends.
Any Comments people???.

I clicked on this link, my virus scanner stopped connection

1407120098_snake.jpg

Look the part - more expensive than others. Wonder if they contain any metallic parts, if you're metal detecting you would need to check.
Unnecessary expense in my opinion. Good over ankle boots & long trousers would do.

They can bite through leather boots. This is a picture of a baxter roper boot that had been bitten by a brown snake. The bite made it through the leather.
This is the story off the Baxter boot web site.

A Baxter customer on the NSW central coast has had a narrow escape on his property near Ourimbah. While moving branches out the way to clear a path for his ride-on mower he disturbed a brown snake. Without any notice the snake lashed at him towards his stomach. Using his instinctive reflexes the man turned and attempted to kick the snake away to avoid being bitten in the stomach. The snake opened its jaw and went for his leg, biting through his jeans. Luckily the man was wearing his Baxter Gauchos! If he had not been wearing the high top boots the man could have suffered a possibly fatal snake bite.
Fortunately the tough Gauchos were enough of a barrier to take the brunt of the snake bite, leaving the man with a nick on his leg from the snakes fangs. This small nick was enough to render the man woozy and luckily a neighbor was nearby to apply a tourniquet and call the ambulance. During all this the mans heart stopped, he has was luckily revived and after a short stay in hospital he returned home to recover where he remained ill for 10 days. There is no doubt that this story may have had a far more terrible outcome if the snake was able to bite further in to his leg.
High top boots with thick leather can provide an extra level of protection against the many safety hazards posed with working outdoors.
We are very happy this story had a positive outcome and that Baxter Gauchos were able to play a role in preventing a disastrous event.

1407133257_baxter_roper_boot.jpg

If they can bite through leather, and I believe most averaged sized Australian snakes couldn't - average fang length is 5mm, then they will make short work of fabric/canvas gaiters. One thing with gaiters is I've never seen a set that claims 100% protection either.
Commonsense is a better prevention. Most people are bitten when they try to catch, get closer for a "look", kill or otherwise do something to threaten the snake. Inadvertently treading on one does happen but it's fairly rare - like shark attacks though we have a primal fear. Snakes are every bit or more scared of us & any I've seen in the bush are moving away from me at an equally rapid pace as I am moving away from them. :lol: I've lived in country areas most of my life & the majority of snakes I see are on roads whilst driving with the odd one in the bush. Seen 3 on the road last year but none out detecting. They are there though & I am always mindful of where I am &/or going.

I do not know what is going on there???
I run some pretty good antivirus software here and it did not report any thing wrong.
I am starting to think of making another set of chaps for my self. I used to have a set of thick lined leathers that took a beating
to get through.

condor22 said:
Tathradj said:
Any Comments people???.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1407120098_snake.jpg

Roscoe said:
They can bite through leather boots. This is a picture of a baxter roper boot that had been bitten by a brown snake. The bite made it through the leather.
This is the story off the Baxter boot web site.

A Baxter customer on the NSW central coast has had a narrow escape on his property near Ourimbah. While moving branches out the way to clear a path for his ride-on mower he disturbed a brown snake. Without any notice the snake lashed at him towards his stomach. Using his instinctive reflexes the man turned and attempted to kick the snake away to avoid being bitten in the stomach. The snake opened its jaw and went for his leg, biting through his jeans. Luckily the man was wearing his Baxter Gauchos! If he had not been wearing the high top boots the man could have suffered a possibly fatal snake bite.
Fortunately the tough Gauchos were enough of a barrier to take the brunt of the snake bite, leaving the man with a nick on his leg from the snakes fangs. This small nick was enough to render the man woozy and luckily a neighbor was nearby to apply a tourniquet and call the ambulance. During all this the mans heart stopped, he has was luckily revived and after a short stay in hospital he returned home to recover where he remained ill for 10 days. There is no doubt that this story may have had a far more terrible outcome if the snake was able to bite further in to his leg.
High top boots with thick leather can provide an extra level of protection against the many safety hazards posed with working outdoors.
We are very happy this story had a positive outcome and that Baxter Gauchos were able to play a role in preventing a disastrous event.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1615/1407133257_baxter_roper_boot.jpg

Are they claiming the snake bit through a pair of jeans, leather boots and (I imagine) socks? What chance do a pair of gaiters have then :eek:

Tathradj said:
I do not know what is going on there???
I run some pretty good antivirus software here and it did not report any thing wrong.
I am starting to think of making another set of chaps for my self. I used to have a set of thick lined leathers that took a beating
to get through.

condor22 said:
Tathradj said:
Any Comments people???.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1407120098_snake.jpg

I have used Trend Micro for years, it's the same Anti Virus as is used by the Dept of Def. If there is a threat or history of threat or scam it stops the link dead in its tracks.

Also re canvas gaiters, my gaiters have polycarbonate inserts, a dog would think twice trying to bite through them.........so no worries re snakes.
But my leather Rossi boots might be the weak point.

I guess it's a case of do the best you can and hope the rest takes care of itself.

I was told by a snake handler up here that its a good idea to use baggy trousers or gaiters. When a snake strikes it will shut its mouth upon first contact, this is a instinctive reaction to them. So strong loose clothing around your leg area is advised. :)

Don't want to argue about anti virus as there are many tier's available if you wish to pay for them. :) :) :)
I use a multi tier corporate version.
Anyway,
I suppose that if your numbers up, It is up and just take the best precaution's you can and be aware of what can go wrong. As I keep harping, the only real bugger of a snake that I worry about is a warmed up death Adder.
Armed with long needle fangs that are designed to punch deep with the animal using it's whole thick body to strike, It is my only concern.
At least if you are lucky you will see the others either before you step on them or know of their presence. These little mongrel's hide just in case you decide not to see them.
Only if you step on them or come into striking range is when you will have an episode that will be timeless.

Tathradj said:
Don't want to argue about anti virus as there are many tier's available if you wish to pay for them. :) :) :)
I use a multi tier corporate version.
Anyway,
I suppose that if your numbers up, It is up and just take the best precaution's you can and be aware of what can go wrong. As I keep harping, the only real bugger of a snake that I worry about is a warmed up death Adder.
Armed with long needle fangs that are designed to punch deep with the animal using it's whole thick body to strike, It is my only concern.
At least if you are lucky you will see the others either before you step on them or know of their presence. These little mongrel's hide just in case you decide not to see them.
Only if you step on them or come into striking range is when you will have an episode that will be timeless.

What part of Oz do the death adders habit?

Mainly down the east coast of Australia. Up behind where I live Dr George is thick with them and so is a lot of places around here.
Other mongrel snake around is a Tiger snake but mainly thick a bit further south.
Yambulla my favorite hunting ground is well populated with both and being around 50Klm's from anywhere is a bit of a problem. LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_death_adder

Brief Google shows :
Habitat and distribution

The common death adder occurs from the Gulf region of the Northern Territory across to central and eastern Queensland and New South Wales, and through to the southern parts of South Australia and Western Australia. Once abundant in many areas, this species has experienced a dramatic reduction in numbers.

Within this range the species is found in a wide variety of habitats in association with deep leaf litter, including rainforests, wet sclerophyll forests, woodland, grasslands, chenopod dominated shrublands, and coastal heathlands.

Generally - where we detect !!

Latest posts