Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I am a bit experienced with snakes and don't like them very much.

When out in the field how do you protect yourself against them and more importantly if you get bitten what do you do?

cheers Peter

I did learn a few things when I did my snake handling course in the NT, snakes don't have very good eyesight and a very short memory, if caught near a snake, keep very still and let it pass on by. We ended up sitting in a class room, and the handler let loose a couple of Western Brown snakes on the floor, stirred them up to get them a bit agitated, then kept very still, a few seconds later the snakes moved on without even noticing him, albeit straight through the legs of the course participants! (A few guys pulled their socks over their pants legs! :D )

Of course this may differ for Tiger Snakes which are territorial, and will chase you if agitated. Second thing I learnt was that the brown snakes have a lot of venom, but very small fangs, so much so that they would struggle to pierce denim jeans, though this does not apply to all snakes, including especially the Taipan. So denim jeans or cotton drill trousers would be a minimum to protect yourself, ankle gaiters would be a second line of defence.

If operating in areas that might provide good habitats for snakes, always carry a snake bite kit or a first aid kit containing one, St Johns should be able to provide something suitable. There is another recent thread on alternative snake bite kits vs the usual broad bandage kit. Another essential part of your kit should be some form of communication, whether it be handheld UHF, mobile or EPIRB, depending on how remote the area is. Personally, I hate snakes (just like Indiana Jones), and have had some pretty close calls in my time with lots of Mulga or King Brown snakes, some very large. Just have to learn not to panic, keep still and let them go on their way.

I highly recommend to do a Senior First Aid course, not only for snake bites, but for the sake of your family and loved ones, nothing worse that not knowing what to do in the event of an injury or worst.

Here is a St Johns you tube clip for appropriate response to a snake bite:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=38scF4r-xVo&desktop_uri=/watch?v=38scF4r-xVo

I wear heavy canvas pants (Kmart $29 the ones with kneepads) when I am in the bush, together with lace up work boots (ankle support) and over the lot goes a set of British army surplus gaiters. There is metal clips and buttons in the gaiters but it doesn't seem to affect the detector. In the backpack goes a first aid kit. That said, before I had kids and I was young dumb and full of errr myself I did a lot of trout fishing on the tablelands, only ever wore jeans and joggers. Saw two tigers in that time and both could not get away fast enough - one through the water, those buggers can swim fast! I stood directly on two red belly black snakes, again they just bolted. I've probably been quite lucky in that regard! Now I have kids I value my life a bit higher I guess, either that or I have realised I'm not bulletproof lol! So yeah, PPE all the way!

One more thing, Red Bellys can be VERY curious. I had one poking its head in my backpack one morning before moving on after I gave it a shove with my rod. If you are approached by a Red Belly just know that he isn't being aggressive he just wants to see whats up - if you react as if you think it's an aggressive snake then you may end up bitten. I have spent literally 15 minutes sitting on riverbanks watching a Red Belly check me out. If you do see a snake in the bush do as Goldpick says above and hold still, if you aren't moving they don't really see you and don't perceive you as a threat.

take ya dog with you and or every couple of steps STOMP as your walking, snakes pick up on the noise/vibrations and more often then not will do the harry holt.

Dont know about the toothy buggers in nsw or qld mate, but i would think you would be pretty safe with knee highs,
you could always go the option of carrying a bottle of plonk with ya and if you get bitten(above the knee), simply knock down the whole bottle and slow your heart rate down, SHOULD, give you enough time to make it to hospital for some anti venom, or a vet surgery,depending on where you are :rolleyes:
...........dwt disclaimer........
(This is no way a tried and tested method of surviving a snake bite, an old bushman at a small pub up north told me about this!!!!!) ;)

Nugget

Check this thread it's been discussed re snake gaiters.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2290

Snakes - Different snakes move in different ways, however most snakes will strike within 6" of the ground. Not of Australia, but I have come down a track in SE Asia and in the middle of the track was a Cobra, half in a hole half out and about 2' off the ground. I made big steps in the opposite direction. They spit first, then bite, fortunately we don't have them here.

A snake can rear up higher than your ankle, but they generally strike at the threat ie your foot and lower leg. This is assuming you are standing. If you make a bit of noise as you walk they generally go the other way, but there are a couple of aggressive beasties that will stand and attack.

Canvas will offer protection from most snakes but not all, that's why the Kevlar gaiter is available.

I guess it's a case of do the best you can to protect yourself, it's a hard lesson if you find the snake that gets through the canvas and jeans and nicks you.
The last thing you want is to be bitten and say to yourself, I wish I had.........

Another thing worth carrying

http://bsar.org/setopress

I carry a couple of these, they are great as you have indicators to get the right tension. Too loose aint gonna cut it and too tight may end up worse than the bite.

If you get hit, apply from the bite up the whole limb. Then use the 2nd to go back down to the bite. Don't wash the bite, and apply bandage over clothing as quick as possible. Sit down and don't walk too far. If with someone they get help or drive you (so long as not too far from car, better to take the car to the victim).

If alone and very remote, carry a PLB and activate it. Don't drive unless no other choice, you may end up killing yourself and worse, others.

READ UP ON FIRST AID FOR SNAKE BITE

Nugget - wear boots and King Gee overalls, the dress code for prospectors. To mix it up a bit, wear bib and brace in summer. No snake is gunna bit his way through a pair of King Gees.

I think it also depends on where your bits are in relation to the snake.....

When I was in the military we a chap bitten on the neck behind and just below the ear, we were playing sneaky soldier crawling through the undergrowth when old mate lay down right on top of joe blake.

Snake was surprised and zap, prick of a place for a tourniquet but the medics were quick a even though the patient was very very sick he pulled through, snake got off with a bad taste in his mouth.

Before you ask, it was thought to be a brown, but I think someone would be dead if it was. I'm no expert but I think it might have been a blackie, besides it was night and no one identified the attacker.

Bazz

Snake first aid is rather simple but must be applied correctly from my time in the army this was drilled into us every year as snakes can bite trough most clothing I certainly would not trust jeans or overalls to stop a snake bite, as the fangs on the Taipan can reach 12mm and only need to cut though around 1mm of skin to make you sick. A test if you can push a needle through your pants with not to much trouble then a snake will sink its teeth through with not to much trouble and remember snakes bite at speed with a fair amount of force.
From the enviro's I know most snake bites will be low on the limb of a standing person so gaiters and good boots should be enough to keep you safe. Always carry at 3-4 good wide crepe bandages in your prospecting kit as that should be enough to rap a leg top to bottom if you really tall carry more. and as said above KNOW YOUR FIRST AID!

Just Kmart regulars :) I did have my shoes on last weekend only seen 2 old snake skins properly brown snakes , there was quite a bit spinifex about and as said it hurts my toes :) make noise is your greatest weapon .

When in WA last year the subject of snakes come up and a friend told us do not attempt to ever try to kill any of those big snakes in the west,even if you have got a long handle shovel,as they can throw themselves back and strike you,above the knees.

TheDigger

Oh Dear,
Ok for you guy's over in the west and true, A small Brown or black bugger will have trouble getting through a pair of thick socks and jeans.
We got one sneaky little mongrel over here in the east that is considered one of the fastest and heaviest striking snakes on the planet.
Bloody thing hides in the rubbish or what ever it can find, Including sand and if you come any where near it's striking range ,,, I hope that you at least have decent leathers on.
Death Adder.
Yes, It does strike almost level with the ground but can see any unprotected skin or an area that emits more "heat" than others.
Armed with fangs that are disproportionately long for it's build, It has no problem penetrating jeans, socks, thin gumboots or some thing along those lines.
I have seen Tiger snakes go to a fair bit of trouble to sink their fang's in to a knee, groin height area because their eye sight is very weak but their sensory skill's are very impressive.
There are only two snakes I will not handle in Spring/Summer.
Tiger Snake,
Copper Head.
Bloody fast and verrry aggressive.

Latest posts