Snakes & Prospecting Safety

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh,
You will not find a Death Adder,
It will find you. LOL
Chuck Norris sorta thing.

I probably do worry a little too much but it's the family I'm mainly thinking of. I don't want the young bloke growing up without a dad because I didn't take a simple precaution, and it's pretty easy to get tunnel vision when swinging the detector for hours on end.

What prompted me to ask about snakes striking height though was an online image I came across of an "unknown" snake which was rared up about knee height, pretty scary.

2 people got bit by death adders in our camp during the last wet season.

Buggers they are. And yes they have long thin fangs that penetrate deep.

1406549549_death_adder.jpg

Spotted walking home to camp from site one night.

I have never had Gaiters before but have been thinking its time to get some.

Cliff

Good thinking mate,
It will only take just that once.
Me myself, Will not go into the bush around here by myself for the very reason that a snake bite will end it all if I do not have any back up.
I have handled snakes and have been taught very well on the slithery buggers. LOL
Just think,
You have been out all day swinging the detector or digging for that, well bit of yellow.
You are already dehydrated and exhausted from your exertions, along comes a long scaly friend and tags you when you do not expect it.
You are a fair distance from your car and also you have just realized what has happened. Oh Crap.
You comfortably park your self on the nearest log with your limb low, Bandage your self up, Set off your PLB.
You will live.
On the other hand, Read it in reverse,
Me myself, If things went pear shaped and I had no choice,
Minus one limb and I have no qualms about it.

The little black snakes in NSW are particularly nasty when they've had a bit of sun on them..

About a year ago while i was working for Forests, a couple of us were dropping a few logs, I almost put my foot on one.
the little bastard took issue with that, and flew at me, took about 6 strikes, and i about ended up on my mates shoulders..

Nasty little (insert appropriate curse word here) needed a good being killed..
Not sure if any of the strikes were above the knee, I was a too busy running away (in a manly fashion) to notice..

Here's some more info on the Setopress bandage

To regulate tightness (effective pressure) the bandage has a continuous series of green and brown rectangles printed along it's length.
As the bandage is stretched, the green rectangles become squares. Increase the tension, and the brown rectangles become squares.

At this tension lymphatic return is minimised, controlling flow of venom to the body. The brown indicators are the ones you should use for treating a snakebite.

The squares are also offset slightly so if you cover the squares with each wrap of the bandage you should get the right amount of overlap.

This half width overlap is required to provide correct pressure, and also to prevent the bandage causing a tourniquet effect.

They don't come cheap, at around $19.00 each. (about $15 online, free delivery) However they are designed to be washed and reused. Weight 59gr.

1406560119_setopress.jpg

As I said I bought 2 and if you have other crepe bandages these can replace them for all uses ie sprains bleeding etc.

Use the green square initially for bleeding control. If still bleeding put a second bandage over the top using brown.

They really do take out the quess work and give the best chance for survival.

I have done many first aid courses over my time but the last one I believe the instructor nailed it.

Its not necessarily the venom that kills you in the first instance. Its the panic and running to get help, which puts the heart into overdrive, consequently speading the venom at a rapid rate thoroughout the organs that will kill you.

He said that if you sat there calmly with a compression bandage with a low heart rate the body can deal with the toxins.

You will of course be extremely unwell but increase your chance of survival.

Made sense to me.

Number one rule with snakes is leave them alone, most bites occur while trying to kill the snake. Good gaiters will help and make you feel safer if think they are all out to get you.

I know first hand what it's like to be tagged by a snake, twice. (Copperhead, lower leg. And a tiger snake, upper leg, above knee)
Was very sick from the copperhead, and a few days rest
The Tiger got me above the gaiters, once again very sick,
Lucky for me I had my brother with me, as I was a long way from the car ( fishing )
Most snakes won't hit high, but there are a few that can, (Taipan, Tiger, brown, and the king brown) just to name a few
All of the above can be very aggressive and during breading season, will even hunt you down, NO JOKE
95% of snakes will go the other way and only strike in defense but there are some with a bad attitude
Sorry to burst you bubble guys but most snakes can bite through denim
The copperhead had no trouble with that!

Magilla said:
Number one rule with snakes is leave them alone, most bites occur while trying to kill the snake. Good gaiters will help and make you feel safer if think they are all out to get you.

That's a rule I most certainly follow, but in saying that the type of bush land prospectors venture into means we're bound to come across snakes. Stepping over rocks and logs also means there's a chance we might step on one or step near where one might be resting. I don't particularly have an overwhelming fear of snakes, it's just the "oh crap, I didn't see him there" that worries me.

I spent some time working on a farm in southern nsw that grew rice, for those that dont know the process of rice growing and watering, you do it in the summer months, the land is survey'd and large banks are cut in to follow the contours of the ground, which is why if you have ever seen paddocks that are all wiggly in the way they are set up this is the reason.
The water naturally follws the contours of the ground, and you pump from the low end up to the high end and regulate the water through adjustable check stops at each section of that particular contour, these check stops must regularly changed (moving drop boards in and out) at any time of the day and night, so , 2am 25-28 deg, dark and your walking around grass coverd check banks dodging large amounts of frogs and snakes, all types, browns, tigers, red belly blacks, and any other wierd and wonderfull thing thats out to have a feed at night.
The old cockie i worked for would supply you with a shotgun with a mag light tapped to the end of it and you were on your way.
Man i saw some bloody big snakes, aint no real way to avoid them when your standing on a 4 foot high 2 foot wide bank and they dont seem to keen to get wet, Mexican standoff i tell ya.... :|

I can relate to that, I've been chased a fair way down a track by a tiger snake in February. It kept huffing and lunging at us for about 5 minutes, as we walked backwards the way we'd come.

I think the issue with denim is that most of our snakes are not hollow-fanged. They have grooved fangs instead, and so when they bite through substantial fabric, much if not all of the venom soaks into the fabric, rather than go into your body.

I just keep out of likely looking snake territory in Summer, long grass, log piles, rock piles especially, careful near dams and other water sources. Always look ahead of you on the ground and near your feet. Stomp around a bit, don't sneak up on them. Don't move logs, metal sheeting or other large debris thats been there a while.

If confronted within strike distance in strike position "DO NOT MOVE" unless absolutely necessary, wait about 10 seconds and back away. This saved me from being bitten by a big Eastern Brown. Shivering thinking about it.

All the above and it's unlikely you'll ever get bitten. Even with gaiters do the above.

Be very carefull at Grabben Gullen digging near holes in the bank, I've seen Black Snakes go into and out of them..........

Damn, That rules out resurrecting my Denim Jacket from the 80s to protect the top half. hhahahaha

mfdes said:
I can relate to that, I've been chased a fair way down a track by a tiger snake in February. It kept huffing and lunging at us for about 5 minutes, as we walked backwards the way we'd come.

I think the issue with denim is that most of our snakes are not hollow-fanged. They have grooved fangs instead, and so when they bite through substantial fabric, much if not all of the venom soaks into the fabric, rather than go into your body.

denim won't save you ! there was a doco. not long a go about a woman who was trail walking,not sure what state, and become very ill. she was taken to hospital cos of the severe symptoms,and checked for snake bite. no puncture marks were found, however- somehow the experts found venom on the leg of the jeans. the warm weather had caused her pores to open to sweat, and absorbed the venom from the jeans material.

1 - Those gators do protectect against snake bite.
We tested them here on death adders and taipans and none of their fangs penetrated.
2 - Snakes usually only bite if attacked with a shovel or picked up with tongs.
The rest of the time they are pretty placid.
3 - In the image in my avatar I am holding four inland taipans and a coastal one. The inland taipan is the world's
most deadly snake and as you can see, that lot didn't kill me!
All the best

I appreciate your input snakeman and welcome to the forum. I have to say, the word of a guy holding 4-5 live snakes holds great value on such a topic and you've certainly made me feel a little more confident in my gaiters.

I take it you work with snakes as your profession?

snakeman said:
1 - Those gators do protectect against snake bite.
We tested them here on death adders and taipans and none of their fangs penetrated.
2 - Snakes usually only bite if attacked with a shovel or picked up with tongs.
The rest of the time they are pretty placid.
3 - In the image in my avatar I am holding four inland taipans and a coastal one. The inland taipan is the world's
most deadly snake and as you can see, that lot didn't kill me!
All the best
Better you than me holding that lot :lol: Do you carry antivenom with you?
I'm starting to sweat just looking at that photo.

Latest posts