Selling gold - how, why, where

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. After I posted I had a thought that may have been a bit personal a question. I apologise if that was the case. Mac

Not personal mate as far as i can see
some keep it for a rainy day others sell it
Me well i sell it
money in the bank to gain intrest and ready to use
Win win for me

McGnome said:
So in my dreams I have collected several (kilo) grams of gold and I want to sell it to recoup what seems to me will be several K for this new found passion of mine. How do I go about doing so? And how do you know if it is 18 carat or 14 carat etc. I am loving this forum guys. The links, the information and the camaraderie are wonderful. Mac :)

Hi mate,

numerous different ways to off load gold.

Most gold buyers you can expect spot - 10 to 15% but it's usually cash in your pocket. Unique or jewellery pieces can command higher.

Ebay - but a pain in the bum.

Forums like this one.

Refiners like the Perth mint or P.W. Beck in Adelaide.

Depending on where you live, many places will still trade gold for goods from motor vehicles to food and everything in between.

Steer clear of those rip of merchants that frequent shopping centres, they'll give you bugger all and try and tell you BS that you nugget is only 9 ct etc.
These are the same ones who prey on little old grannies and buy stolen jewellery of druggies. :N:

Anyone had any luck selling their gold using Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace? Anything you need to worry about? I've got 116gm's I want to sell. Mainly reef gold with some ironstone and quartz attached. Should I offer it as one lot or sell the pieces individually. The biggest problem seems to be Australia post not ensuring gold that gets lost/stolen via the postal system. Which makes it difficult when dealing with many buyers if I sell it off individually. I know there are gold buyers but I'm sure some of the bigger bits (2x 16gm) would be worth more to someone collecting gold than what a gold buyer would offer. Any thoughts as I've never sold gold before.

1516143887_dsc07782.jpg

Won't take you long to sell all that on eBay, the bigger bits will easily sell above spot price (20% at least), factor in eBay's cut and I would imagine registered post to be sure, and yeah stick with Paypal...........at least it's real gold!! not like our friend from a little while ago :p

I put a few grams of alluvial up not long back, all sold within 3 hours of putting it up.

Those 2 big bits are very nice looking.

good read http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Why-Gold-Nuggets-are-more-money-then-spot-price-/10000000177976959/g.html

To be honest I don't think I could be bothered selling it one piece at a time. What does everyone think would be a fair price to advertise this for as a group lot? It's not like I need to sell it so if it doesn't sell it's not really a problem. The only reason I'm even thinking about selling is to transfer the funds from gold to shares. Do you think it's realistic to advertise it at $54 (spot price) x 116grams which is $6200, considering its got some quartz and ironstone attached to some pieces?

A close up of those two bigger bits of gold. One came in at 16.04gm's the other 16.63gm's. One found in the middle of someone's gold patch that they missed. It was only down a foot but I think it was laying on its edge as the signal was fairly soft.

1516149796_capture1.jpg

1516149796_capture2.jpg

eBay is a funny place, people do pay a premium for specimen gold. I picked out around 16 small bits out of that lineup that I would probably put in vials and just sell closer to spot price, but the bigger stuff you will net more money selling as "nuggets" people don't care if it contains some impurities.

Would all look rather nice in this case!

1516157436_display.jpg

RichterScale said:
To be honest I don't think I could be bothered selling it one piece at a time. What does everyone think would be a fair price to advertise this for as a group lot? It's not like I need to sell it so if it doesn't sell it's not really a problem. The only reason I'm even thinking about selling is to transfer the funds from gold to shares. Do you think it's realistic to advertise it at $54 (spot price) x 116grams which is $6200, considering its got some quartz and ironstone attached to some pieces?

Hi , you could always put them all up in one lot on here for offer , you may get a good one :)

Best of luck
jack

HoudiniHarry said:
Or you could do what one member did a while ago was weigh them and put on here with their values. And let members contact you directly.
That will save you fees for Ebay.
We had loads of members buy direct.

Cheers

I think the thought of posting off piece by piece worries me considering there's bound to be some gold that doesn't make its destination. Best thing (for me) would be to sell to one person face to face.

HoudiniHarry said:
Yes but you will make more splitting up the gold. And sending registered.

That's the problem though. Australia post won't compensate you if your parcel or its contents goes missing. Registered post doesn't make any difference. They won't cover gold bullion against loss. I'm no expert on what goes on behind closed doors in the postal system but if scanning/x-raying of parcels picks up an odd shaped little lump of metal who knows if that parcel will continue on its journey. Ive heard of others that have had parcels turn up minus its contents before.

Anyhow, for now, i might just advertise it as a lot on gumtree or Facebook marketplace. (spot price) and see what happens. If it doesn't sell ill just keep it.

Haha full of dodgers, Auspost. I have never sold any nuggets only alluvial, thankfully it has all turned up for the buyers. I just posted out 15 grams split up, so will see how this batch goes. I once sent a guy a Spanish Charles III Maravedi he bought off me for around $800, the post office allowed me to put extra cover on it, but it was definitely opened and had a look at as I sent it in a dvd/cd mailer, it was wrapped in bubble wrap and inside an acrylic coin case. I had put my signature all over it and yeah they had taken a good look, thankfully it was not replaced with a 50c coin hehe.

Latest posts