Selling gold - how, why, where

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
Gold Exchanges in Ballarat

just a tip, if you offer cordell good nuggets and his says there no good and will only pay scrap price, take the gold out the front and hit it with a hammer, then give it to him as the scrap he's paying for ;)
it stops your "scrap" gold being sold for a premium.
regards tm

Thanks for that one, I'm only repeating what I have been told as I'm yet to find my 1st piece and my next trip won't be till May,

Boo hoo 8.(

Yes , on Ebay , you will get more than spot 99.99% of the time. Have seen gold sell for up to 50 - 66% above spot price & its not pure !!!

Cheers Paul

Hello, I hope this is the right place for this topic, if not, I'm sure to be shown the error of my ways!

Now What???

I have a small stash, collected from a few places and over time and it's starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

There is NO emotional attachement so it's gotta go.........

Not sold any gold before so any ideas as to :-

Who?
Where?
Is there a commision or handling charge?
Is there usually a minimum amount to sell??
Any other tips ?

Thanks in advance

Bazz

There are buyers located in most regional towns.
If you try and sell it to a pawnbroker you'll probably get "taxed" a little harder.
Sell it online, I don't need to name sites....
:)

Cant see any harm in asking the members here for expressions of interest through the PM system.
As with anything use maximum caution and judgment when handing out private info.

Gold Buyers Melbourne they take a 5% admin fee for gold on jewelery , they pay the best rate Ive found anywhere so far.
You can freight your gold to them and they will test the purity on their $30k machine and pay on purity at market rate.

right now on their homepage they are paying

9 ct $20.44 per gram, 14 ct $31.79 per gram, 18 ct $40.87 per gram, 22 ct $49.96 per gram, 24 ct $54.50 per gram

so for example if I took 8.5 grams in smelted, it came up 22 ct =$424.66 x purity was 94.8% cash would be $402.57 my way

http://www.goldbuyersmelbourne.com.au/

I'm not affiliated with these guys at all, I sell most of my gold when the price is right and found these guys take less commission and pay better than anyone in my region and that means more dollars for me :D

Hey thanks

I've made the calls but was interested in the experience of others

Just in case

It comes down to what works best for you mate, ive got a guy who lives 2 kms from me and he buys gold if I or someone i know find a decent nugget and cash is the priority I dont mind him taking 10% support the locals you know. I got a really good vibe going into gold buyers though, family business been operating for 50 years no fuss very professional.

good luck

ChrisM said:
Cant see any harm in asking the members here for expressions of interest through the PM system.
As with anything use maximum caution and judgment when handing out private info.

I'm sure there would be someone interested, though it would be better to list it under the Classified section rather than spamming members via PM ;)

Ebay - you will get overprice , if nuggets from .2g & up , sell single, if fly poo , do in vial with weight. I have seen .2g sell for $18 , which is $90 per gram

headbut said:
Ebay - you will get overprice , if nuggets from .2g & up , sell single, if fly poo , do in vial with weight. I have seen .2g sell for $18 , which is $90 per gram
thats true ive sold a .3 specimen with quarts for $26 :)

Last year, someone in the Vic Goldfields, told me that the Balarat Gold Exchange charge 15% as a fee ie if it's current carat/gold value is $1,000, they give you $850.

Is this correct?

condor22 said:
Last year, someone in the Vic Goldfields, told me that the Balarat Gold Exchange charge 15% as a fee ie if it's current carat/gold value is $1,000, they give you $850.

Is this correct?

Lets just say daylight robbery is happening in Ballarat :) correct both mining exchange and I S Wright take HUUUUGEEEE cuts

if you havent sold i would certainly be interested also as i buy occasionally when i have some pocket money haha

I would like to have a look and buy some if there is pics to see :D PM me for info as well thanks ;)

Latest posts