Palmer River.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldchaser1 said:
Is this the station where the prospector was murdered maybe 10 years ago? bruce i think his name was,they never found his body...
Yes mate.
Bruce Schuler. A good mate.

Simmo said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Is this the station where the prospector was murdered maybe 10 years ago? bruce i think his name was,they never found his body...
Yes mate.
Bruce Schuler. A good mate.

Sorry to hear that simmo,dave wright that used to be active on a cuppla forums bought it to everyone's attention at the time,i'm still in contact with dave and have a chat every now and again,he sent a copy of bloodgold over also....

Jackpot said:
Good luck Joeboy im heading up in two weeks for a week looks like a lot of great ground to explore

You should do well in there Jackpot, I only had one day to go detecting in there unfortunately... but I managed to score close to 10 grams for the day. Some fellas there at the camp site had just cleaned up on a 15 ounce patch just meters off the track & someone few days ago pulled a 7 ounce nug.

Just so you know, if you are planning on using a quad it has to have a roll bar fitted & if ypur riding a 2 wheeler it has to be road registered... I had to leave my quad sitting on the trailer I wasn't allowed to use it.

Over a 1kg of nuggets has been pulled out in recent weeks. The caretakers are real friendly and are located onsite at Cannibal creek. Nice little set up they have in there. Good luck in there... have fun & don't forget your fossicking license... you'll need it.

If you want to use an ATV it has to be road registered and insured I was told.

Joeboy, from the cabins, going south, does the area include the old Dam Busters lease and Robbie Wilsons old camp?

Simmo I don't know to be honest, I'm not familiar with the people who had shows in there. It's been about 20 years & I was tagging along back then with a bloke called Coke can John. I was going to post a pic on the area but not sure if I can.... It actually has active leases towards the south end. The track only goes half way before you hit on entry signs, has a number of dams & at the end of the permission part of the track, there is a big area that's been bulldozed pretty hard. Just out of interest I found my bits of gold in slate area's not the red dirt.

Simmo said:
If you want to use an ATV it has to be road registered and insured I was told.

Joeboy, from the cabins, going south, does the area include the old Dam Busters lease and Robbie Wilsons old camp?

Not sure about all ATV but quad bikes only need a roll bar bolted from the tow ball, attached the the back rack and enough clearance above the quad & riders so there is enough crawl space to get out from. On the other hand a 2 wheeler has to be registered. I was told this by Ben & John who run the camp. Their internet isn't flash at the camp so calling them might be difficult. They usually will fire up the genset at night so that would be the best time to try contacting them.

Cheers mate.
I am asking Ben for more info.

Frank bought most of the leases in there after I finished a little bit of work in there for Ray, but Frank is/has selling/sold?.

I walked my big excavator out through Robbies camp and past the Cannibal camp!
Also another member of this page has leases in that area too!

The gold was/is weird in that area, insofar as where it shed, if the GPA is where I think it is?!!!

Simmo you sound like your very familiar with that country, I'm just a tourist in there...some interesting geology to study, some of those gullies off those faults look like a good hike in! here is the fossicking area I outlined in blue for reference.
1627994498_gold_map_1.jpg

I don't think it is an issue with the map, Annette was saying that she just didn't have much time on her hands to get all the info on the website up & running with all the work going on. Their going hammer & tong up there ATM clearing new sites & putting in infrastructure etc.. You probably already know that Dog leg creek area south side of the river is for season pass only but another area will be opened up to in the future. Not that I care though... it's all Palmer gold to me, it has to be some of the nicest looking gold in the world. :power:

My Father in law from the UK couldn't understand my passion for driving 6 hours on a sometimes goat track to get to a place that we love!
Until at the airport on his way home, I gave him my copy of Hectors book.
When he landed at Heathrow he texted me... "I got it!! Can't wait to come back next year!"

I have not been up to Cape York but I did work in Cairns for a short time . I did go up to Irvinebank and saw the State Battery working . They were crushing tin ore for small mines . To dry the concentrates , that came off the tables , they had a wood fire with cone shaped steel around . The cons. were shoveled on to the hot steel sheets . Early 1970's I think .

Mike678 said:
I have not been up to Cape York but I did work in Cairns for a short time . I did go up to Irvinebank and saw the State Battery working . They were crushing tin ore for small mines . To dry the concentrates , that came off the tables , they had a wood fire with cone shaped steel around . The cons. were shoveled on to the hot steel sheets . Early 1970's I think .

If you get the chance to head up the cape & you like fishing... your in for a treat! Some good gold spots too. Hey not much has changed in Irvinebank since those days. Lots of old relics still sitting in people's front yards. Almost bought an old Chevy ute from there for a restoration project, but the boss pumped the brakes on that one... lol

Latest posts