Palmer River.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking like they are having good times on Cannibal Creek eh?!

1628934678_untitled.jpg

Jackpot said:
Simmo said:
Im calling bulls#$*t seen the video of the nugget a armless blind man could have make it look more real Dave and I just returned from a booked week there left after 3 days not one happy camper at the site grounds are virtually undetectable moved to (Flogged ) Georgetown found some very nice gold

Care to elaborate on your experiences so we all can learn?
What, why, where and when??!!
No gold I take it?

Jackpot said:
Simmo said:
Im calling bulls#$*t seen the video of the nugget a armless blind man could have make it look more real Dave and I just returned from a booked week there left after 3 days not one happy camper at the site grounds are virtually undetectable moved to (Flogged ) Georgetown found some very nice gold

Can't say to much. Just back from Georgetown/WC, heard similar stories. Well done.

Bugger it!!
Even though we have leases just a few k's away, a couple of families and us have booked a week up there and go find out for ourselves!
Plus I need to check on our shed and stuff anyway.

I used to work not far from there and although I don't know that area exactly, I do know where I found good gold a little further west!
Maybe it shed the same way on this ground?
We will find out!

Okey Doky!
First impressions of this place...

It's really remote!
You have to be well set up for out back travel.

Would I say a 4wd is required??

Well no, not when its dry and the road is in fairly good nick... you will need a high clearance vehicle though.

Easy to find?
Coming from the Whites Creek road end (from the East) yes, it is adequately signposted.

What is the Whites creek road like?
It is a freeway to what it has been known for prior to extensive works by the Cook Shire Council and the Fitzies.
It is wide in most places with enough space for vehicles to pass safely.
I would always recommend on ANY road, to keep to your left as much as possible, drive to the conditions and be alert.
The road is forming corrugations now and you should drive accordingly.

Do I have to wash down my vehicle prior to entry?
This was mooted, we asked and were told to do so if possible, so we did.
In Mareeba is a big car wash, so we washed the 4wd's and trailer and took photos as proof.
On arrival at Cannibal creek, no one asked us for this.
So I am not saying it is unecessary..... you could do it for piece of mind, especially if you have come a fair distance, or been on a prior property.

What to expect when I get there?
When you book your stay at Cannibal ck, you will be asked to read and agree to terms and fill in certain forms.
I did mine electronically and emailed them, whereas Shanno filled his in at the office on arrival.
A differance of 10 minutes.
You will be given some verbal rules and maps of the area and where the gold is being found right now.
You will then be directed to the campgrounds, to find a spot.

How many campgrounds are there??
At this stage, there are 5... 4 that are bush blocks, capable of taking 4 or more fairly substancial camps for sure.
Some close to the dam, some not so.
You could also set up camp with permission, at the cabins area.

What amenities are at the camp sites?
None.
Except a clear and level camp site and a communal fire pit, nothing else is supplied.
The Rangers may well do a timber run and collect firewood for the site.
(This is something we thought about, was there just ONE fire everyone had to go back to, and that is not the case.
Each site has its own pit. Although on friday nights I think, they do have a full get together up at the cabins site.)

What BIG bonuses do we get camping there?
Well except for the obvious.. (which I will follow up with later..)
Wifi.. The website says they charge for wifi access, that is not true.
Wifi access (currently at the Cabin area only) is free.
(streaming of grand finals etc has been disabled now ;) :cool: :playful: )
So you can check emails and turn your 'wifi calling' on, on your phone, and use your mobile as usual.

If no one is staying in a Cabin, you can use the shower and toilet (with permission) providing you leave it clean and tidy.

You can dump your porta potty cassette in the drop box. :skull: :awful: :8

You can come up to the Cabin area and refill your jerry cans with triple filtered, tanked water from the dam. (awesome water)

You can bring your rubbish up to the tip area and leave it there. (they are working on a better way, so be mindful of your rubbish, as you wold normally be!)

Finally, mostly EVERYONE is friendly and all there for one purpose.
We all got along, met some great people and even learnt some very valuable lessons.

For what its worth, we did'nt find any gold this trip... but more on that later!!!

Latest posts